Places for Wedding Reception Downtown

KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

I've been to a reception at the University Club (Now the Kansas City Club) building on Baltimore. It was very nice.

KCDowntown
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Others

Post by FangKC »

The old lobby of the Muelhebach Hotel would be a cool place, and it has the check-in desk that could be used as a bar.

Kabal is the private club in the River Market.

The other place is old Central Fire Station on Central Ave near 11th St. (I think it's called Central Exchange now).

Does the Midland Theater rent out for wedding receptions?

The Savoy Grill might have private dining rooms as well.

Another place that would be neat is the Kansas City Museum in Corinthian Hall on Gladstone Blvd.

The Scottish Rite Temple on Linwood would be cool as well.

The Uptown Theater also does weddings and receptions I think.

The Rozelli Courtyard in the Nelson-Atkins Art Museum would be a good place too.

Pierpont's in Union Station.
There is no fifth destination.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

The Madrid
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

If the wedding is after this spring, the new central library will have a rooftop patio and winter garden, which sounds promising.
Rooster_Ties
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Rooster_Ties »

It isn't exactly downtown, but please - by all means take a look at the Kansas City Atheneum, which is on Linwood Blvd., between Main and Troost. They have a fantastic ballroom, with beautiful stained-glass windows (which are really great when the sun is out, in the afternoon).

My wife and I were married there about two years ago, and had our reception there too (along with the ceremony). And I would absolutely pick the same place again, if I had it over to do again.

There is a small-ish balcony that overlooks the ballroom, and we had the ceremony up in the balcony. You can set up chairs in rows up and down the length ("width") of the balcony, and it seats between 80 and 120 or maybe closer to 130 (depending on how many chairs you set up). They have nice "theater" chairs, which approximate pews rather well. (The vintage theater chairs are connected in sets of two, and when set up in rows, give the appearance of regular rows of chairs that are all connected.)

There is a 'runner' down the center isle of the balcony, and a small raised stage area at one end of the balcony, where we had the ceremony. Too complicated to really explain here, but when you see it - you'll understand.

Then, we had the reception in the ballroom (the very same one that the balcony overlooks). There is a grand piano in the ballroom, which has a raised stage area which works well for musicians and/or a headtable for the wedding party (depending on how big your reception is).

I don't mean to sound like I'm a representive for the place. My wife and I were just happy customers of theirs. The ballroom and entire building were very 'historical' in it's architectural details. The building was built around 1914, if I remember right.

I'd be glad to answer more questions about the place, if you like --- but do call them (I think their staff person is only on-site during morning hours, M-F), and take a look at the inside of the building.

We had the perfect wedding, and the Kansas City Atheneum was a big part of creating the effect we were looking for.

PS: I know of people who just had their receptions there too, and were very happy.
10-year resident of KCMO, who lives in the Volker neighborhood, near the West 39th Street corridor. I grew up outside of St. Louis, on the Illinois side of the river (near Belleville, IL).
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Magazine at Library

Post by FangKC »

While I was at the downtown public library (at E. 12th and McGee) today browsing through the free publications (to the right of the information desk), I came across a free magazine placed there called Premier Bride.

I thought about this post; looked in it; and found a wedding reception site directory inside listing about 125 places in the local area.

Many of the places mentioned here are listed, as well as Drexel Hall at 3301 Baltimore, which has a 101-year-old ballroom with balcony and stage; Figlio Tower at 209 W. 46th Terrace in the Country Club Plaza (which has a panoramic view of the J.C. Nichols fountain); some historic place called Kansas City Young Matrons Hall at 5100 Oak; a historic chapel called The Loretto at 1111 W. 39th St.; The Renaissance of KC at 207 Westport Road (which features an outdoor deck, garden, fountains, and wildflowers); Simpson House at 4509 Walnut (which is a historic mansion with spacious lawn and garden, two fireplaces, and tiffany-stained glass; The Villa at 4120 Baltimore (south of Westport Road near Vietnam Memorial); and several other historic homes. All the hotels in the area are listed as well.

I suggest anyone planning a wedding pick up a copy. They also have a Web site called:
There is no fifth destination.
BurningMustard
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by BurningMustard »

Thanks! Since we are planning the Ceremony at Loose Park we are looking at Figlio tower now. It is a lot cheaper than anyplace downtown.
Rooster_Ties
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Rooster_Ties »

Might also consider The Simpson House (which is half-a-block south of Kemper Museum) for your reception. Great location, especially if the weather is nice - people can mingle on the porch and veranda. My wife and I had our rehearsal dinner there, and were happy with the results.

(Full disclosure: my wife and I belong to the church that owns The Simpson House.)

Link: http://www.simpsonhouse.net/
10-year resident of KCMO, who lives in the Volker neighborhood, near the West 39th Street corridor. I grew up outside of St. Louis, on the Illinois side of the river (near Belleville, IL).