TWA Building on 13th and Baltimore Sold to Local Developers

Post by FangKC »

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 780084.htm

Kansas City Star
Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003
Business

Local developers buy old TWA Building

By KEVIN COLLISON

The old TWA Building, shuttered since 1988 and a relic from the old Power & Light District plan, has been bought by local developers.

Developers Lou Trigg and Roger Buford have purchased the eight-story building at the southeast corner of 13th Street and Baltimore Avenue and have formed a partnership, TB Squared, to redevelop it. Terms of the
transaction were not disclosed.

The 88,000-square-foot building would be an ideal candidate for residential lofts, Trigg said. But he added that the property could be made available for a larger redevelopment project, including an effort to lure H&R Block Inc. downtown.

Interests linked to DST Realty Inc. have been acquiring properties in the South Loop area, where the TWA Building is located, to assemble a possible site for a proposed H&R Block world headquarters. The company is considering several locations in the Kansas City area for expansion.

"It's an ideal building for the developments we like to do," Trigg said. "But saying that, we don't want to get in the way of any other bigger projects in the area."

The key for the TWA Building developers was to get the building out of the hands of its longtime owner, Maharishi Global Development Fund. The entity purchased the building in 1994 for use as a Maharishi Vedic University, but no action has occurred.

Two years ago, developer Ron Jury said he wanted to acquire the TWA Building as part of his multiphased plan to redevelop the President Hotel block. Jury wanted to demolish it and replace it with apartments and parking.

Jury did not buy the TWA Building, however, and now his plan for renovating the President Hotel is in trouble. The Kansas City Tax Increment Financing Commission voted last week to recommend terminating his development agreement, saying Jury had missed his deadline to obtain financing.

Trigg said his development group had become concerned the vacant TWA Building was becoming a detriment to new efforts to bring downtown back.

"We're committed to working with the people in that area," he said.

The TWA Building was owned by its namesake airline from 1957 to 1988. During that period, it was used for flight training operations.
There is no fifth destination.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Humm...I hope something gets done there...the building its self isn't that pretty...i donno...maybe i will think differently when that nasty first floor is redone...that white crap is so ugly! :puke:
I wouldn't mind seeing a new building go up in it's place...
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Could someone post a pic of it so I can place it?

I'm just glad to see yet one more abandoned building getting bought out.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

check the project database and search "TWA" I posted this development yesterday.

(sorry always trying to get other pieces of this site used more)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

I've never noticed that building before. I get the feeling there used to be a 4-story building right next to that once.