Tall Residential Tower???

KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Do you think we should have a tall residential tower downtown?
I've figured we should build at 700ft since if you build 10ft per floor (3m) thats 70 floors.
I think it would increase people living downtown, especially if built a little north of the south loop. They could see CC, and Downtown, but place it western enough so that the KCTV Tower doesn't block a plaza view.
I'll see if I can sketch a rendering of what I have in mind...
Just something... I think it could have a dome or a triangle on top...
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

I would think that that would be the best way to get a tower built downtown. However, you have to remember that the higher up you live, the tougher it is to get to the street. That could place a limit on how high people will want to live. Do elevators get to the top of tall buildings? Or would you have to change elevators halfway up?
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

I do think that residential towers would be feasible, provided we have enough people who want to live downtown! That's what Vancouver has, if I'm not mistaken.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

you would have express elevators to "skylobbies" then local elevators serving a certain number of floors.
so you change elevators only twice...
The express elevators might have to be stronger than usual to go 700ft up, but im sure its possible.
It'd be nice for KC to have a tall residential tower. I couldn't draw a nice skyscraper to fit downtown, although it'd be cool for it to be all glass and a central atrium, another idea of mine besides an atrium, are external service elevators so people can have great views just going up the elevators.. Plus 1 or 2 service elevators inside for those who hate heights and such...
I did have an idea for a tall office building downtown, think exterior cross bracing like JHC. That would pretty much eliminate interior columns, and adding more space.

The near 900ft Trump World Tower in NYC:

I thought something like a mini sears tower or a CommerzBank (in Frankfurt) Tower like building would be cool...

Sears Tower:

CommerzBank Tower:
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I really like the commerzbank tower. Its a unique, dramatic building. Thats the type of thing I'd like to see downtown. KC needs a building downtown that is really jaw-droppping, car stopping, completely different from anything else. We should have a building that peple either absolutely love or hate. Something that gets people talking. The Shook Bacon and Hardy building at CC is nice, and it fits in well with its sorroundings. But its too conservative, to "lawyerish". That's what they needed there. Downtown needs a "signature building".
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I personally don't feel like we need much more expressway architecture. The building should look appealing from far away, but the feeling you get at street-level is what is most important. Renaissance Center in Detroit looks cool from the freeway, but it did next to nothing to help revitalize the city.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

I agree with Tat- a building like Commerz would be the type of thing that people would talk about- love it or hate it- and it would be the type of thing that would make people say "I want to live there!"
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

How people get in and out of the higher floors it not of major concern, as engineers are generally smart enough to glean their building-exiting desires. I say a great place to put is would be just west of New Quality Hill Apartments, where Quality Hill Towers used to be. :)