NE Corner of 10th and Broadway

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Is there anyone else that thinks someone should buy out Seiden's Fur store on the NE corner of 10th and Broadway (next to Majestic Steakhouse), and turn that into a coffee bar or diner (like Sidney's)? It's a perfect location for it. Surely there isn't much need for a fur storage business these days?
There is no fifth destination.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I agree, that's a great location goin' to waste. They can relocate to the West Bottoms with the rest of the former animal slaughter houses.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That is a good idea but if the fur place wants to stay, I don't think we should try and force them out....that is a long time retailer that has been committed to the urban core.....their committment even through the toughest of times should be admired.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

True enough. It's not as though there aren't plenty of vacant buildings nearby to put a diner in.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I am just suggesting that location is ideal because it is close to the Majestic Steakhouse, Tanners, and the Quaff. People who frequent those establishments might enjoy being able to go there for coffee afterwards; or a late-night dinner, or early breakfast after The Peanut, Tanners and the Quaff close (and after their kitchens have already closed).

It is also close to the Quality Hill Playhouse, the Folly, and Lyric theaters. Since people frequenting these places are already parked, they might go to an all-night coffeehouse/diner aferwards. All the other vacant places where one might locate are further north on Broadway, and not as ideally-suited for such a purpose.

The other advantage of that location is visibility. It's on a corner, and would be evident to passersby.

Plus it's close to all the people who live on Quality Hill (including me). :-) The closest place in the neighborhood to meet for coffee in the evenings is in the River Market. Or Denny's, but who wants to walk all the way from 10th and Broadway across the freeway to go there? Not me.

People who live on Quality Hill, in the garment district lofts, and Library Lofts need an all-night diner or coffeehouse. If not an all-night diner, then at least a coffeehouse that stays open until midnight.

I would even be happy to see a late-night coffee shop open in the base of the old Board of Trade Building/Library Lofts on 10th and Wyandotte. Tenth and Broadway has better visibility though.

The fur storage place appears to be on its last legs--not a lot of activity there. I bet they'd close if someone made them a good offer on the building. Those mannequins in the window are hysterical. They have a surreal quality. I'd even like to see those retained if a coffeeshop or diner opened there. The owners could dress those mannequins up in different outfits regularly. It could be a sort of art installation. Heck, one could even dress them up as waitresses. :-D It would sort of be an advertisement that it was a diner--sort of its trademark.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think it's a great idea and would really go over well.....only thing is outside sitting might not be as pleasent with all the traffic on broadway
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Brooksider »

Seiden furs not only stores furs but sells them and is a 3rd generation family owned company. I used to sell advertising to them.
There used to be a coffee shop next to the chinese place but not enough traffic to keep it open I guess.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

No outside seating

Post by FangKC »

I wasn't suggesting any outdoor seating at the Seiden's location.

The coffee place next to the Chinese Place on W. 8th isn't highly visible. One would think though that the Folger's Coffee Plant on Broadway and 8th would open an in-house coffeeshop. :-D After all, the whole neighborhood smells like coffee. One would think it would draw people in. And talk about "fresh" coffee. LOL.

Obviously, the market for furs is a declining one. Seiden's hasn't updated or renovated its store in years. They can't be making as much money as in previous years.

Perhaps they could move into one of the buildings in the garment district north of where they are now. I never even see anyone in that store.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Another idea

Post by FangKC »

The other good locations for a all-night diner/coffeeshop would be that specialty-car place on the north side of the Majestic Steakhouse, or the street-level spaces in the old Coates House Hotel.

That hair place or the current rental offices of New Quality Hill would be good locations. NQH could move its rental offices to another location in the neighborhood. Perhaps they could even rent space in the upper floors above Tanners. Isn't one of those floors vacant now?

The other location is in the basement of the old Coates House Hotel. I walk by there a lot and there appears to be undeveloped space in the basement. NQH Rental could move in there, or the coffeeshop could be there. They could make an entrance to that basement space on the backside in that alley, or add a stairway somewhere near the front of the building.

That parking lot south of the Coates House is resident parking now. They could open that lot to the public using the coffeehouse/diner, and have the residents park in the parking garage on the east side (where Quality Hill Playhouse is).

It would also been cool if United Way moved into those new office buildings that DST Realty is building on the Carriage House and Carlton Tower sites. Then that building (on the corner of 11th and Washington) could be reconverted back to its original purpose--a hotel. That is a lovely old building with a big front porch. It would make a cool bed and breakfast or boutique hotel. It's close to the convention center too.