Fire Near Downtown Sat. Night

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I smelled smoke last night on Quality Hill and there was smoke drifting around the neighborhood. I asked several people on the street if they knew of any fire nearby. None did. Does anyone know if there was a fire in the vicinity?
There is no fifth destination.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yes, it was around 25th and Troost, east of Troost. I saw it from I-70 when I was coming home from Independence, and the wife and I decided to check it out. It was a big, nasty fire and it seemed like the city from 15th to about 31st was covered in a smoky haze. There were tons of cops blocking the all the streets heading east off Troost, so we couldn't get any closer than that and just ended up going home. This was right around 10pm, and there was nothing on the 10pm news, nothing on any local news web sites. It's as though it never happened. I guess all the newspeople were busy covering the real hard-hitting, investigative stuff, like all the child molestors in Independence.

I guess the problems in 'white' parts of town take precedence.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Still haven't seen anything reported

Post by FangKC »

Yes, I've been watching the local news, web sites, and KC Star. I never saw any mention of it.

It must have put out a lot of smoke because I live on 10th and Washington and it smelled like something was on fire across the street. This was about 10:30 Sat. night.
There is no fifth destination.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, there was a ton of thick black smoke in the air. I only got a few glimpses of the fire, and from the highway (about a mile north of the actual fire) it looked huge, so it had to be pretty damn big. It was so big, we actually thought it might be Children's Mercy at first.

Oddly, you're the only other person I've talked to who even noticed it. I was beginning to wonder if I had imagined it.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Brooksider »

We could smell it in Brookside too. The whole block was outside walking around talking about what it might be.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.