OFFICIAL - SoLo district construction (was "Do we want

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

well I think we're getting an announcement next week on the arena....IF Barnes holds up to her deadline this time.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

trailerkid wrote:I think the question to ask is...If I'm visiting NYC, Chicago or D.C., would I go to Hard Rock? My answer would be "Hell No!" I think I'm one of millions of people with this outlook.
I'd go buy a shot glass for my collection. This isn't Chicago, NYC or D.C., it's Kansas "Paris of the Plains" City, Missouri and attracts hicks from Omaha, Des Moines, Sioux Falls, Springfield, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Wichita and Topeka.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Build an Oz themed movie theater in Village West since Warren Theaters is currently dead there. KCMO already has the Kansas City Wizards with the rainbow logo :lol:
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

An Oz attraction is most appropriate for somewhere in rural Kansas. Dorothy was a farm girl from the plains, not a Joco princess from Leawood. While the state of Kansas might be identified with Oz, I highly doubt Kansas CITY is more know for Oz than anything else. I have travelled all over the country and parts of Europe, and no one has ever mentioned Oz when I told them where I was from.

If it was going to be in the KC area it should definitely be on the Kansas side. Downtown KCK could really use an attraction like that. Otherwise Village West would be the second best location due to the proximity to other tourist destinations.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Here are some of the more popular "destination" retailers that seem to be coming to these urban districts lately....and my opinions on them...any to add/delete?

- Virgin Music Superstores (alright I guess, rather have a big streetside)
- NikeTown (no)
- Hard Rock Cafe (are they going the way of Planet Hollywoods? If not I guess a "necesary" evil)
- Wolfgang Puck (no opinion..rather have an Emerils)
- ESPNzone (yes...cool place and still pretty exclusive)
- Cheesecake Factory (no unless the one will move out of the plaza)
- Starbucks (try and keep them out)
- Gameworks (yes)
- Barnes/Noble (ok)

any more?

What I'd really like is a small bit of what is on the 16th street mall in denver where it's just normal stores in an urban setting...the area like where Athlete's foot, etc. are all lined up...I like that area but with a more local feel.

kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

i think you could have an OZ themed restaurant in downtown kansas CITY, MISSOURI if you themed it like "we're not in Kansas anymore." like i said, keep it on the kansas side and im fine, but in Missouri - no way.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

OK, somebody help me out here...here is an aerial of the "SoLo" district....and based on information I've heard/read, location of a possible H&R block HQ and the published report of the location of the arena.

Where exactly is this linear park and entertainment district going to go? South of 14th street looks like the only place to me.

Any ideas?

tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

If they can get the Empire razed, i'll be it goes there. It'll be interesting to see if they try to do that.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

the study that came out last week put the arena at 14th & Grand....so I think that is the preferred site.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

FWIW, the Sasaki plan shows the park along the north side of 14th St., between Grand and Baltimore. But if the arena ends up on the west side of Grand then the park would obviously wouldn't be there.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Starbucks (try and keep them out)

:O I love starbucks, me and my mother are planning on going to starbucks and walk downtown sometime in the next year or so.

14th and Grand? cool, thats just as good.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The plan has the arena on the east side...which I assume that's where it would go to create more space for retail.

With the Empire staying and the next block being a possible location for H&R Block the linear park goes from 3 blocks to 1 block...not very linear.

http://www.downtownkc.org/DCDS/Downtownfinalplan.pdf

GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I am really surprised that HRC has not built a location here before. The song “Kansas City” was one of the first rock and roll songs ever recorded. Even The Beatles recorded it. When I first moved here I drove all over downtown looking for “12th Street and Vine”.
Not all of the HRCs are like the one shown on the pics. Houston, Dallas, and even Saint Louis have restaurants that are a lot more toned down. I think it would be good for Downtown.

LG
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Someone might have mentioned it before, but wouldn't the Empire be good for a Hard Rock or House of Blues. It has such a distinct original frontage so you could splash a logo around it. It looks like there's nothing left of the inside, so it'd be easy to renovate like it was a new building.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Empire Interior

Post by FangKC »

There doesn't yet appear to be any solid evidence leading one to conclude that the majority of the interior of the Empire is not still intact.

In 1992, it was reported in the KC Star that former City Council members Katheryn Shields and Chuck Weber toured the Empire, and indicated then that the theater could be renovated.

I have recently been made aware that negotiations with Executive Hills are underway to allow architects into the building to do a survey and access the condition of the theater. So far, it appears Executive Hills has been reluctant to allow anyone inside.

On another note, I also know that the former head of the Kansas Historic Theaters Association, and longtime board member of the League of Historic American Theaters, has contacted Executive Hills. He has volunteered to assemble a team of theater experts at his own cost. He has also secured the free services of a British restoration expert to provide an inspection and preliminary restoration budget. Executive Hills turned him down.
There is no fifth destination.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I thought according to the Downtown Revitalization plan SoLo would still be built? It would have the arena, retail, and three parks between the arena and Power and Light Building.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TIF may be used to draw in some exclusive clients according to the business journal.

Of course a St. Louis senator is against it.

TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

HARD ROCK IS GOING TO THE SPEEDWAY YOU MORONS!!!!!
"ALWAYS be closing"
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

Hard Rock has been wanting to go downtown KC for the past 8 years (P&L district). Cause Downtown KCMO (unlike DETROIT, see below) is not experiencing the level of revitalization they are looking for as an investment, they are going to the speedway!! They will get a free building built by STAR bonds and the rest of the profits are gravy. The sheep will be lined up around the corner for a seat after a long day of buying low grade furniture at NebFurniture Mart and bambi-be-good ammo at Cabelas.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
4/23/2003
HARD ROCK CAFE INTERNATIONAL ANNOUNCES PLANS TO “MOTORâ€
"ALWAYS be closing"
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Empire Interior

Post by zonk »

FangKC wrote:There doesn't yet appear to be any solid evidence leading one to conclude that the majority of the interior of the Empire is not still intact.

In 1992, it was reported in the KC Star that former City Council members Katheryn Shields and Chuck Weber toured the Empire, and indicated then that the theater could be renovated.

I have recently been made aware that negotiations with Executive Hills are underway to allow architects into the building to do a survey and access the condition of the theater. So far, it appears Executive Hills has been reluctant to allow anyone inside.

On another note, I also know that the former head of the Kansas Historic Theaters Association, and longtime board member of the League of Historic American Theaters, has contacted Executive Hills. He has volunteered to assemble a team of theater experts at his own cost. He has also secured the free services of a British restoration expert to provide an inspection and preliminary restoration budget. Executive Hills turned him down.
I've seen the structural/Engineering report for the Empire...the building is a piece of crap. The interior is not worth saving, a long time leak/hole in the ceiling has resulted in the significant deterioration of all interior ornamental plaster and finishes. I also noted several key structural members have significant damage. Having said that, I still am in favor of retaining the shell.

As we've seen before on this thread, it would be the perfect location for a HOB. Could utilize historic tax credits, leaving the north and east facades in tact & throw a big HOB sign on the southern Facade...would be great advertising for them.