18th and baltimore

tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

18th and baltimore

Post by tat2kc »

There is some exterior work going on at the old TWA headquarters at 18th and Balitmore. A few weeks ago they were sandblasting the metal exterior, and today when I drove by they were doing some painting on the exterior. Has anyone heard what is happening?
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

18th and baltimore

Post by KCPowercat »

are they just getting rid of the grafetti?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

18th and baltimore

Post by tat2kc »

I don't think so. There was not a whole lot of graffiti to begin with, the paint was peeling and it was was in horrible shape, but not a lot of graffitti. I also noticed some work on the interior, along the main st side, including a new construcion door south of the courtyard area. Surely there would have been something in the paper if a tenant had been found... but you never know. Maybe the owner is doing some basic demo and prep work to make it more attractive to potential tenants.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

18th and baltimore

Post by KCPowercat »

isn't that building the same block as the Hotel President? I thought they had bought that building for future Phase II expansion which was to include housing...maybe I'm thinking of the wrong place.

tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

18th and baltimore

Post by tat2kc »

yep, wrong building. I am talking about the metal and glass, 3 story building that is at 18th st. and stretches from baltimore to main st. It has a cream color, with red accents and lots of windows. On the main st. side, its on the same block as Max's noodles and some other restaurant. I know the one you are talking about and its primarily brick. This one is just on the block north of the 1819 loft building, and looks like it is metal and glass.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

18th and baltimore

Post by dangerboy »

Is it the one that says "Midtown Office Center" or something like that? I believe it is supposed to be going loft. Was it also a TWA headquarters in addition to the building north of the President?
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

18th and baltimore

Post by tat2kc »

Bingo! thats the one. I did not realize it was going lofts. Depending how they do the exterior, it does have potential. Its a huge eyesore as it is now. I am so glad that they are doing something with it! Even if it is vacant for a while longer, if they can get it to look nicer, I'll be happy.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

18th and baltimore

Post by KCPowercat »

Damn, maybe I should read....ok now I know what you're talking about...yeah I was right there the other day eating at Max's noodles...did see interior work happening....didn't know that was lofts...I thought everything on the 1800 block was on Baltimore going lofts.

That would be awesome...I hate that building...I think I specifically called it out the other day as the building I hate most in the crossroads...I thought it would go better as a teen club or something.

Glad something is getting done.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

18th and baltimore

Post by KCPowercat »

Man I just can't read....I was thinking 18th & Main but that building does go over to Baltimore.....awesome if these do switch to lofts.

Rode the bus to the plaza tonight and did see a lot of interior work going on.

tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

18th and baltimore

Post by tat2kc »

walked by the building today, on the Main St. side. peeked in a couple cleaned windows. Apparently, they cleaned a couple windows on each side, inside and out. There was a sign painted on a couple of the red panels that said: House 2003. Inside, the main floor facing main has been completely cleaned, and a house erected inside. It has no windows or doors, just completely white. floodlights on the floor of the building face the "house" and illuminate it. Kind of different, but I am pretty damn clueless about what this is supposed to be.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

18th and baltimore

Post by KCPowercat »

that sounds like the beginnings of an art display on the ground floor.

From what I have in the project DB, it's going to be 4-6 condos, each condo on a floor....maybe the ground level is going to be an art gallery...nobody wants to LIVE on the ground floor.

KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

18th and baltimore

Post by KCLofts »

I think you've got the wrong building again KC. The TWA building is only 2 floors (or maybe 3). The building that you reference when talking about the 4 to 6 full-floor lofts would be caddy-corner to the TWA building, on the SW corner of 18th & Baltimore.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

18th and baltimore

Post by KCPowercat »

ok obviously I don't know what the hell building we're talking about here....I'll shut up :) or maybe go take a look around

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

18th and baltimore

Post by dangerboy »

Isn't the TWA building further, inside the loop? The building that I have always heard referred to as the TWA Building closer to the P&L, I think around 13th or 14th and Baltimore.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

18th and baltimore

Post by KCPowercat »

there are 2 TWA buildings.....there is one on the P&L block, the one we are talking about (that is the one I keep talking about) is red and glass...

can't find a picture

tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

18th and baltimore

Post by tat2kc »

You are talking about the right building, KC. It does run along 18th st. from baltimore to main. It is called the midtown office center or something like that.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

18th and baltimore

Post by KCPowercat »

so any more word?

Property address is 1735 Baltimore, owed by TWA Lofts LLC.

Only permits issued were back in 2001 that allowed for a dumpster and interior demo work.

KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

18th and baltimore

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Yeah that building is hideous. It's red with scraped steel and starts at the North end I believe at 2 stories and the South end is 3 stories. I can't imagine it being turned into condos because it looks like it is made of metal or something. IMO, it should be torn down. Just bad 1950-60's design.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

18th and baltimore

Post by dangerboy »

I saw a couple of people power washing the exterior last weekend. If does get turned into condos I bet they completely cover or replace the facade.
kc_devotee
Pad site
Pad site

18th and baltimore

Post by kc_devotee »

Really? I love the facade--I think its totally interesting looking. I can picture it cleaned up, lit up from inside...it would be cool. But, it doesnt have parking...