Is this a phone scam?

Do any testing here
koolzero
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Is this a phone scam?

Post by koolzero »

I missed a phone call today on my work phone so I call the number back that showed up on my caller ID.  When the other side answers I get a recording that says something along the lines of, "You've reached the awards claim center please enter the number corrosponding to your claim number".  I happen to push the 1 button not realizing what they were asking and a lady answers and asks what is your claim number.  I tel her I don't have one and that I just missed this call and I was returning it not knowing what it was about. 

She asks me for my phone number so I tell her my work number and she puts me on mute and comes back and says, "congratulations you're a finalist in a grand prize drawing for $25,000 or a Ford Explorer, the grand prize drawing will be held in Branson in a few weeks".  I can't remember if she said an exact date or a few weeks but that's the gist of it.  Anyway she asks me to confirm some information she asks if I make more than $40,000, if I'm single, married, or seperated, and what state I live in.  She never asked for my name or any private information.

My question is is this is a scam?  I won't be surprised if they call me in a few weeks and say I've won but now I need to send in some money in order to claim my prize...?
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Is this a phone scam?

Post by nota »

It's a scam. Run for your life. Variations of it are everywhere.

Above all-DON'T send any money.

Remember that what sounds too good to be true usually is.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

Or you may have to endure a three-hour pitch about condo timesharing before the "drawing". I guess the free weekend vacations were setting them back too far.

At least you can catch a Baldknobbers show later in the evening.
Last edited by Gladstoner on Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
A fool and your money are soon united.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Gladstoner wrote: Or you may have to endure a three-hour pitch about condo timesharing.
That isn't a bad thing always. We once had six nights and seven days at the Kauai Marriott for a 3 hour spiel. But you should NEVER have to pay anything up front or give out your credit card info, etc.
koolzero
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by koolzero »

They didn't even say anything about me being in Branson for the "drawing".
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Blow them off. Ignore them. Never buy anything from a phone solicitation.