Yankees to build new stadium

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
Post Reply
User avatar
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 24051
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:31 pm
Location: The basement of a Ross Dress for Less
Contact:

Yankees to build new stadium

Post by KCMax » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:53 am

Yankees to build new stadium

Stupid New Yorkers. Don't they realize that building a new park will erase all the memories of the old park? And where will people park? Don't they know that an urban location will make it hard to get in and out.

Glad we did it right here in KC.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag

BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:53 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA - Buckhead

Re: Yankees to build new stadium

Post by BVC » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:21 pm

Yep, should've been built in White Plains or Purchase...  They blew it.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14667
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 3:34 pm
Location: Valentine

Re: Yankees to build new stadium

Post by LenexatoKCMO » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:09 pm

I would point out the added irony that if it weren't for the massive 1970's era "renovation", there probably wouldn't be any talk of a new stadium today. 

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair
Posts: 8804
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:48 pm
Location: pittsburgh, pennsylvania

Re: Yankees to build new stadium

Post by kcdcchef » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:50 pm

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I would point out the added irony that if it weren't for the massive 1970's era "renovation", there probably wouldn't be any talk of a new stadium today. 
yeah their renovation bought them 34 years. guess we can count on baseball at kauffman until at least 2044. right on.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:53 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA - Buckhead

Re: Yankees to build new stadium

Post by BVC » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:52 pm

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I would point out the added irony that if it weren't for the massive 1970's era "renovation", there probably wouldn't be any talk of a new stadium today. 
The 50's, 60's, and 70's were like a black hole of architectural and urban design.  It seems like we are correcting way too many of the mistakes made in that era.  Atlanta is even going as far as knocking down some of those crappy, mid-century flops in their downtown.

I believe Kauffman, Anaheim Stadium, Oakland's Coliseum, and Shea Stadium are the last of the relic's from that era in MLB and NFL.  Only Kauffman has a good stadium design albeit the location drags it down.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14667
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 3:34 pm
Location: Valentine

Re: Yankees to build new stadium

Post by LenexatoKCMO » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:56 pm

kcdcchef wrote: yeah their renovation bought them 34 years. guess we can count on baseball at kauffman until at least 2044. right on.
It also ensured that no one will care as much that they are tearing it down by encasing the whole damn thing in a tacky concrete shell and eliminating all of the historic charm.

User avatar
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:08 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

Re: Yankees to build new stadium

Post by 49r » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:59 pm

BVC wrote: The 50's, 60's, and 70's were like a black hole of architectural and urban design.  It seems like we are correcting way too many of the mistakes made in that era.  Atlanta is even going as far as knocking down some of those crappy, mid-century flops in their downtown.

I believe Kauffman, Anaheim Stadium, Oakland's Coliseum, and Shea Stadium are the last of the relic's from that era in MLB and NFL.  Only Kauffman has a good stadium design albeit the location drags it down.
You forgot Dodgers Stadium, and...

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/ ... images.jsp

...they're replacing Shea Stadium.

BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:53 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA - Buckhead

Re: Yankees to build new stadium

Post by BVC » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:02 am

49r wrote: You forgot Dodgers Stadium, and...

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/ ... images.jsp

...they're replacing Shea Stadium.
Yeah, I knew I forgot something.  I've heard before that the new Mets ballpark will be built to resemble Ebbet's Field.

Deleted User

Re: Yankees to build new stadium

Post by Deleted User » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:51 pm

kcdcchef wrote: yeah their renovation bought them 34 years. guess we can count on baseball at kauffman until at least 2044. right on.
  Image
Steve Glorioso retires early
"gueth we can count on batheball at kauffman until at leatht 2044.
We've dethtroyed a chance for downtown batheball in my lifetime and my wife
and I can retire within 2 years from the conthstruction kickbackths, right on!"



Image
Last edited by Deleted User on Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 561
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:32 am

Re: Yankees to build new stadium

Post by DowntownBryan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:48 pm

woah, deja vu!!

jj116533
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:39 pm
Location: NYC/KC

Re: Yankees to build new stadium

Post by jj116533 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:43 pm

i hear from my cousins in nyc this thing is all the talk as all things realted to the yankees are, and its going to be the shit.
Student at NYU studying Metropolitan Studies and Economic Theory.  Real Estate connoisseur.
http://twitter.com/#!/grecobs

User avatar
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 9029
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:28 am
Location: West 39th St. - KCMO

Re: Yankees to build new stadium

Post by dangerboy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:48 pm

There is big opposition in The Bronx.  Instead of encouraging baseball fans to use mass transit, they are increasing the number of parking spaces more automobile use by building more parking garages.

The news stadium will have fewer seats, which will likely make ticket prices higher and put baseball even further out of reach for many living around the stadium.

User avatar
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 9029
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:28 am
Location: West 39th St. - KCMO

Re: Yankees to build new stadium

Post by dangerboy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:49 pm

dangerboy wrote: There is big opposition in The Bronx.  Instead of encouraging baseball fans to use mass transit, they are increasing the number of parking spaces more automobile use by building more parking garages.

The news stadium will have fewer seats, which will likely make ticket prices higher and put baseball even further out of reach for many living around the stadium and to deal with the increased traffic.

User avatar
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1169
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:23 am

Re: Yankees to build new stadium

Post by mykem » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:44 pm

Yankee stadium set to open this year. Here is a site with a ton of pictures of everything in this stadium including the concourses. When I saw these pictures I thought to myself "wow this stadium is what New York is." http://newstadiuminsider.com/

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6687
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:19 pm

Re: Yankees to build new stadium

Post by kcmetro » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:41 am

mykem wrote: Yankee stadium set to open this year. Here is a site with a ton of pictures of everything in this stadium including the concourses. When I saw these pictures I thought to myself "wow this stadium is what New York is." http://newstadiuminsider.com/
Thanks.  Wish we had the same kind of thing for Kauffman, instead of the handful of photos the Royals website releases every month.  I'd like to see how it looks on the inside, as well as everything else in the outfield.

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair
Posts: 14070
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:57 pm
Location: Sunny Johnson County

Re: Yankees to build new stadium

Post by Maitre D » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:44 am

I went years ago, 2000ish, and the seats we were in were literally broken.  And leaning heavily to one side when you sat on it.  When I went to the bathroom, it smelled horrible and some guy was urinating on the ground in the stall next to me.  The whole place was disgusting.


I was totally disappointed in it.  Especially given how they were fielding a 150M payroll team on the field.  Ain't like they were broke.  Fenway & Wrigley were so vastly superior as fan experiences.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6687
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:19 pm

Re: Yankees to build new stadium

Post by kcmetro » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:49 am

Maitre D wrote: I went years ago, 2000ish, and the seats we were in were literally broken.  And leaning heavily to one side when you sat on it.  When I went to the bathroom, it smelled horrible and some guy was urinating on the ground in the stall next to me.  The whole place was disgusting.


I was totally disappointed in it.  Especially given how they were fielding a 150M payroll team on the field.  Ain't like they were broke.  Fenway & Wrigley were so vastly superior as fan experiences.
The staff wasn't much better.  Went there in '99 and the usher I encountered was a dick head.  He gave some smart ass remark when we asked where our section was.

One thing I liked about it was the utter vulgarity of the fans.  I remember hearing an 8 year old call Chuck Knoblauch a fucking asshole, to the rousing applause of the adults nearby.  That's when I knew we weren't in KC anymore.  :lol:

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14667
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 3:34 pm
Location: Valentine

Re: Yankees to build new stadium

Post by LenexatoKCMO » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:50 am

Maitre D wrote: I went years ago, 2000ish, and the seats we were in were literally broken.  And leaning heavily to one side when you sat on it.  When I went to the bathroom, it smelled horrible and some guy was urinating on the ground in the stall next to me.  The whole place was disgusting.


I was totally disappointed in it.  Especially given how they were fielding a 150M payroll team on the field.  Ain't like they were broke.  Fenway & Wrigley were so vastly superior as fan experiences.
As mentioned above - the thing was already destroyed decades ago.  
kcmetro wrote: The staff wasn't much better.  Went there in '99 and the usher I encountered was a dick head.  He gave some smart ass remark when we asked where our section was.

One thing I liked about it was the utter vulgarity of the fans.  I remember hearing an 8 year old call Chuck Knoblauch a fucking asshole, to the rousing applause of the adults nearby.  That's when I knew we weren't in KC anymore.  :lol:
Half the fun of the joint was watching the swat team-like security troops run around trying to put out little mini-riots in various sections of the stadium. 

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair
Posts: 14070
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:57 pm
Location: Sunny Johnson County

Re: Yankees to build new stadium

Post by Maitre D » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:52 am

Did you get mobbed by tix scalpers the moment you stepped off the subway?   I was attacked by 5 who jumped in my face when I held up 2 fingers.   And the first guy who reached me turned back to the others and started screaming "GET BACK!  DIS MY CUS-TA-MER!"   So much for the free market, he made it clear I would be buying only from him.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6687
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:19 pm

Re: Yankees to build new stadium

Post by kcmetro » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:55 am

Maitre D wrote: Did you get mobbed by tix scalpers the moment you stepped off the subway?   I was attacked by 5 who jumped in my face when I held up 2 fingers.   And the first guy who reached me turned back to the others and started screaming "GET BACK!  DIS MY CUS-TA-MER!"   So much for the free market, he made it clear I would be buying only from him.
:lol:

Did he look like this?

Image

Post Reply