$105M over the next six (6) years....

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
tw
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by tw »

that's the money stl. (downtown) will be pulling in because of their sport facilities. we talked and dissed stl. about their dome and how sterile it is..but they continue to get major NCAA events....

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... negativity
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

I always get bashed everytime I say I would like to have the Edward Jones Dome in Kansas City. Sure Arrowhead is a better stadium on gameday but it sits empty 340 days out of the year. Keep in mind if Kansas City does ever decide to build a new arena we still are not going to be in the running for any NCAA Final 4's. Of course with all the new domed stadium coming to fruition it looks like St. Louis will be lucky to get a Final 4 once a decade.

From the devils advocate side of things it probably wouldn't matter if KC got a domed stadium anyways for NCAA reasons. They'd still screw us while laughing from there offices in Indy.
Calling a spade a spade.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

we've had every one of those events very recently except the Final Four.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wouldn't trade outdoor football to have a men's final four once per decade....not worth it to me....football is an outdoor sport. If the Final 4 needs 60k seats, then fine....we don't have to have everything here.

Just look at the economic impact of events like Big 12 Championship, BCA classic, NW MO St. v. Pitt St. and MLS.....all things that won't go to the dome....

let's just be happy the final four is close for those who would like to go to that event.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

KC sure we've had them recently but just like the NCAA Men's Final 4 that we had in 1988 we won't be seeing any of these other events return for at least 15-20 years. St. Louis has had a Big 12 championship game and the way they bid on things don't be surprised if they have another one. Now they have the annual Mizzou-Illinois game, every 3-5 years they have the NCAA Men's basketball regionals starting next year. Even if the article comes somewhere close to what they're claiming $105 million is ALOT of money regardless of what city you're talking about but especially to Kansas City. Not to mention a big chunk of that $105 million will be spent in the urban core of St. Louis.
Calling a spade a spade.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

we JUST had the Wrestling this year, had the women final four 2 years ago...I mean I'm not talking 15 years ago like the 88 final four, I mean we just had them.

i would put KC's list of college events up to any city....it brings in a lot of cash with multiple annual events.....STL hit a sweet streak and will get some big events right in a row but that won't continue forever, the type of events that come to KC annual continue to come.....

StL won't get the football game back...small stadium and it didn't even sell out....that's Big 10 country, not Big 12....
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

ShowME wrote:KC sure we've had them recently but just like the NCAA Men's Final 4 that we had in 1988 we won't be seeing any of these other events return for at least 15-20 years.
The Final Four probably won't ever be back in KC, as the NCAA now wants venues with over 30,000 seats. The proposed new Downtown arena would probably have around the same number as Kemper, and at most 20,000. That keeps us out of the Final Four rotation, unless arena plans change drastically or Arrowhead gets a roof. The main event that the arena is designed to atract is the Big 12 tournament, as well as additional concerts and convention business.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

ShowME wrote:Sure Arrowhead is a better stadium on gameday but it sits empty 340 days out of the year.
Whatcha talkin' about? The Wizards' play 16 games a season at Arrowhead and draw between 10,000 - 20,000 a game.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.