Milwaukee

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Milwaukee

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Last weekend I was in Milwaukee and noticed their downtown arena was built without wipin' out whole city streets. The streets actually run underneath the arena. That's something I hope KC does if they ever build an arena on Grand. Also, Milwaukee has an awesome downtown Natural History Museum and the Art Museum is one of the best in the Midwest in terms of modern architecture.

The city is smaller than KC, but they have downtown festivals every weekend in the summer, it had three different festivals/open-air events running simultaniously in different parts of downtown when I was there...a beer drinking festival, a bicycle racing event and an inner city motor race event. Stages were set up around these events to provide live music. Why can't KC have more festivals in downtown? It's almost as if we're ashamed to show off our boarded-up, metal-plated urban core.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Milwaukee

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

KC has a decent set of events going on during the Spring/Summer but the problem is you never hear about them until the event is a week old. I didn't even realize the Crawfish festival was this weekend until I read it on this board. Where is the advertising? They need more banners and announcements for these BIG events if they want people to attend....jeeesh.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Milwaukee

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah at the very least, put an ad in the pitch...I read it weekly and didn't see anything for the crawfish festival.

Jayhawk...this is your best site for info anyways....we get it ALL here
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Milwaukee

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

KC - maybe we could add a separate forum to announce upcoming events in the metro area....btw, Hospital Run is this Saturday if anyone is interested...I just got an email from the event organizers...nothing like letting me know at the last minute.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Milwaukee

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I just got that email too.....I knew about it but I'm out of town and not about to tackle those hills.

We used to have a seperate forum for events but it was never used and people decided it could easily be put in "General KC" discussion.....I might dream up some page or something....I've always wanted to do an event listing (star.com's sucks IMO) but I'd be afraid I'd miss too much stuff. I could have that page setup in like a night but not sure we have enough visitors to flesh out the page.....

I think the EDC is really trying to push more festivals....Oktoberfest, now a couple new ones for next year including a food festival.

I'd like more weekend/after-work things at like Barney Allis Plaza.

and back to the arena, I like that idea too but I bet it would be shot down due to safety concerns....ie. somebody driving a bomb filled bus underneath the arena and everything that comes with that....
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc