Flint Hills

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
KCgridlock

Flint Hills

Post by KCgridlock »

This is one area of KS that is pretty cool. But it's a double edged sword. It's great driving through it, but there is nothing to take a traveler off the highway to enjoy it up close. I know there is that lake or whatever, but do you think KS could or even should do anything with the Flint Hills to better market it and make it an attraction? Or should KS leave it alone and not risk destroying it with development?
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Flint Hills

Post by KCN »

Flint Hills are beautiful, but I am not sure KS could really do anything with them. It's not so much a destination as much as just drive through scenery. I think the key to their beauty is how serene and "untouched" they are...not even any trees. Maybe add some scenic turnoffs off of I-35 like they did with 177 going up to Manhattan, but that's about it.

Those, along with the Arbuckle "mountains" in southern Oklahoma, are the only scenic parts I have to look forward to when I drive from here to KC.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Re: Flint Hills

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KCgridlock wrote:This is one area of KS that is pretty cool. But it's a double edged sword. It's great driving through it, but there is nothing to take a traveler off the highway to enjoy it up close. I know there is that lake or whatever, but do you think KS could or even should do anything with the Flint Hills to better market it and make it an attraction? Or should KS leave it alone and not risk destroying it with development?
Konza Prairie, Council Grove, Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and Cottonwood Falls are places to get off the highway and enjoy up close. Jus' start at 177 in Manhattan and take that all the way to Cassoday.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Flint Hills

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Also, I hear the Gypsum Hills (or Red Hills) in Southwest Kansas are a beautiful sight. There is the Sagebrush Gallery of Western Art and Carry A. Nation and Stockade Museum in Medicine Lodge, there's the Camanche County Museum and Heritage Park in Coldwater, and there's the Big Basin, Little Basin and Pioneer Museum in Ashland.

Other scenic areas of Kansas are the Smoky Hills and Chalk Formations (central and western) as well as the Cimarron National Grasslands (southwest corner), Airekee Breaks (northwest corner), Loess Hills (northeast corner) and the Chautauqua Hills (east of Arkansas City, west of Independence, KS).
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.