Top 20 Attractions in Kansas

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I know I did this before, but I want to make sure it's available in a topic of it's own. Remember, this is based on my experience and my opinion as far as places I've personally visited in Kansas. This doesn't include popular attractions I haven't visited such as the Garden of Eden (Lucas), Eisenhower Center (Abilene), Gypsum Hills Scenic Tour (Medicine Lodge), Ulrich Museum of Art & Sculpture Garden (Wichita), Prairie Museum of Art and History (Colby) and so on. I'm hoping this will spark a lil' more local travel by some of you on this forum. I will do a "TOP 20 ATTRACTIONS IN MISSOURI" list sometime this week (or next).

TOP 20 ATTRACTIONS IN KANSAS (no particular order)

1.) Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center (Hutchison) - World renowned space museum affiliated with the Smithsonian. Besides featuring the second largest space collection in the nation, it also includes an IMAX, planetarium, and astronaut training programs.

2.) Museums on the River (Wichita) - You can spend a full day at the 5 main museums on the Arkansas River which include Exploration Place (a science and technology museum designed by Moshe Safdie), the Indian Center Museum (Native-American exhibits, foods and the "Keeper of the Plains" monument), Wichita Botanical Gardens (largest botanical garden center in Kansas), Wichita Art Museum (just completed multi-million dollar expansion and features Old World and Modern Art exhibits as well as sculpture garden) and the Old Cowtown Museum (nationally accredited living history site depicting 1800s life in a Kansas Cattletown).

3.) Sedgwick County Zoo (Wichita) - Over 2,500 animals (KC Zoo only has 1,000) and home to one of the greatest African Lion exhibits as well as headquarters for the American Zoo & Aquarium Association.

4.) Great Plains Nature Center (Wichita) - Features Koch Habitat Hall with mounted animals, interactive exhibits, a 2,500-gallon aquarium and the Kansas Department of Wildlife Gift Shop along with an outside nature area with a couple of miles of hiking trails and a look-out tower for wildlife viewing.

5.) Martin and Osa Johnson Safari Museum (Chanute) - Located in the Old Santa Fe Depot station, one experience African safaris, sailing the South Seas, and Borneo adventures with Martin and Osa Johnson...the first American explorers in Africa.

6.) Boot Hill Museum, Inc. (Dodge City) - Relive the legend of Wyatt Earp and the Wild West with living history, live entertainment & drinking, wagon rides, historical artifacts/weapons and the Gunfighters Wax Museum.

7.) Fort Leavenworth (Leavenworth) - View Oregon and Santa Fe Trail wagon ruts, the Berlin Wall Monument dedicated by George Bush Sr., the Buffalo Soldier Monument dedicated by Colin Powell and the Frontier Army Museum which features artifacts and exhibits depicting the history of the Army from 1804 to the present including the carriage that Abraham Lincoln visited the area in during his Presidency.

8.) Lee Richardson Zoo (Garden City) - The pride of Western Kansas, the zoo features more than 700 animals in naturalistic exhibits and includes rhinos, elephants, giraffes, lions and many more.

9.) Sternberg Museum of Natural History (Hays) - The "Dome On The Range" features exhibits that focus on prehistoric life on the plains, including the famous fish within a fish fossil, life-size dinosaur dioramas and discovery room.

10.) Lindsborg (Lindsborg) - Swedish town in the Smoky Hills features many art galleries and ethnic foods. Museums include the Birger Sandzen Memorial Gallery (art museum built in the memory of Swedish-born landscape painter), Courtyard Gallery (over 100 plains states artists represented), Small World Gallery (fine art by National Geographic photographer Jim Richardson), Red Barn Studio Museum (historic working studio for artist and craftsman Lester Raymer) and the Old Mill Museum (restored 1898 flour mill, 1904 World's Fair Swedish Pavilion, Swedish town replica, mounted animal displays and other history exhibits). Other Lindsborg attractions include Hemslojd, Inc. (watch craftsmen in Swedish woodworking shop) and Coronado Heights (prominent geological landmark and lookout point of the Smoky Valley once visited by the Spanish explorer Coronado during his 1541 expedition. Includes a replica Spanish fort built in the 1930s). Three popular Swedish festivals occur each year and include Midsummer's Day Festival (Swedish American celebration to welcome return of summer - June 21, 22), Svensk Hullningsfest (celebration of Swedish heritage - Oct. 17, 18, 19) and Luciafest (traditional 18th-century Swedish Christmas celebration crowning of Lucia). The largest of the three festivals is Svensk Hullningsfest which features a large parade, but all three festivals include folk art and artists, craftsmen, entertainment, Swedish music & dancing, in addition to traditional Swedish delicacies and smorgasbord.

11.) Konza Prairie Biological Area (Manhattan) - The 8,600-acre Konza Prairie Preserve, located in the Flint Hills region of northeastern Kansas, is owned by The Nature Conservancy and Kansas State University and operated as a field research station by Kansas State University Division of Biology. The Konza ecosystem contains forest, claypan, shrub and riparian communities in addition to the dominant tallgrass. There are 7 miles of hiking trails open daily to the public. Native tallgrass prairie vegetation dominates Konza with more than 600 species of flora and several dozen species of fish, amphibians, reptiles, mammals and more than 200 species of resident and migratory birds have been documented on the preserve. There is a scenic overlook near Highway 177 entering Manhattan.

12.) Flint Hills Scenic Tour (Highway 177 from Manhattan to Cassoday) - Take an adventure off of I-70 at Highway 177 in the scenic Flint Hills with the first stop in Council Grove where visitors will head down Main Street and tour the Neosho Riverwalk (scenic walkway surrounding the most documented river crossing on the Santa Fe Trail) and see the Ten National Park Service Sites on the Original Sante Fe Trail which includes the AL-LE-LA-WA-HO Heritage Park & Kaw Mission State Historic Site (last Kaw Indian Village in Kansas), the Council Oak (U.S. commisioners and Osage chiefs signed treaty in 1825 guaranteeing safe passage to Euro-Americans on the Sante Fe Trail), the Guardian of the Grove (bronze statue that is tribute to native Kaw people), Madonna of the Trail (statue honoring pioneer women who traveled on the Sante Fe Trail) and Terwilliger Home (1861 stone home on Santa Fe Trail and 1858 log house). The next stop along 177 is outside Strong City at the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and Z Bar Ranch (rare remnant of expansive tallgrass prairie with historic buildings and cultural resources) with the last stop being in Cottonwood Falls where visitors want to see the Chase County Courthouse (native limestone, French Renaissance, built in 1872), Roniger Memorial Museum (collection of Native American artifacts) and the Chase County Historical Museum (comprehensive history of Flint Hills area) before ending your tour at Highway 177 and I-35. If you have a couple of days to spend, try a Flint Hills Overland Wagon Train Trip (pioneer prairie adventures, 1870s transportation, meals and entertainment).

13.) Fick Fossil and History Museum (Oakley) - The Fick Fossil and History Museum features Cretaceous Period fossils from extensive digs in the area. The museum contains over 11,000 shark teeth, and complete specimens of Pteranodon, Plesiosaurus, Mosasaurs, and many others representative of the Cretaceous Period. The skull of a Mosasaur, which was an ancient marine reptile about 30 feet in length, is the oldest ever documented. Mammalian history is equally represented with specimens of hoofed mammals and the Oligocene Rhinoceros. Fossils of plant life, mineral and rock collections, and archeological pieces are also on display.
There is a Folk Art Collection which includes pieces created with fossils and rocks. Other items of interest are a Kansas Wildflower Collection, 1886 replica depot, and an early 1900's General Store with many fascinating items on display. There is also a Sod House within the museum for your viewing.

14.) Rolling Hills Exotic Wildlife Refuge (Salina) - Rolling Hills Wildlife Refuge is dedicated to the conservation and propagation of rare and endangered species and is located on 145 acres of pristine Kansas prairie in the Smoky Hills. The zoo is home to more than 80 different species of animals, housed in spacious, naturalistic habitat settings. Among the Refuge residents are many animals that are rare or endangered in the wild, including chimpanzees, leopards, orangutans, white tigers, and two species of rhinos. Guests can take the paved walking path that is approximately 1.5 miles long, or there is a narrated tram tour.

15.) Kansas Museum of History (Topeka) - The museum complex located on a branch of the historic Oregon Trail, consists of the nationally recognized Kansas Museum of History, the Center for Historical Research, the Stach one-room school-house, and the Koch Industries Education Center. Kansas history is told through a variety of exhibits ranging from the Indian era to the Civil War and up to the present. Visitors will see a full-sized Cheyenne tipi, a fully stocked covered wagon ready for a trip on the Oregon Trail, a 1950s diner made by the Valentine Industries and many other outstanding features. The centerpiece is an 1880 locomotive, turned museum restaurant, which traveled the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad. Learn about history and natural history of Kansas on a five mile nature trail outside the Kansas History Center.

16.) Kansas State Capitol Tour Center (Topeka) - Built in 1866, the State Capitol Building has a variety of architectural features and one of the most elaborate senate chambers in the country. The native limestone structure houses some of the most famous artworks of native-born John Stewart Curry and other magnificant works by Kansas artists.

17.) Gage Park (Topeka) - The park features the Topeka Zoo & Rainforest (Educational, conservation attraction featuring numerous animals and naturalistic exhibits which include a Tropical Rainforest, Gorilla Encounter, Lion's Pride, Black Bear Woods and a Children's Petting Zoo), Reinisch Rose Garden (6,500 roses and annual flowers with Doran Rock Garden and pond nearby), Mini-Train and Carousel (enjoy a mile long ride around Gage Park, then go round on a 1908 restored carousel).

18.) Monument Rocks National Landmark and Keystone Gallery (South of Oakley) - Rising majestically from the seemingly flat prairie are the Monument Rocks or Pyramids as most local people call them. Over 200 million years ago, western Kansas was part of a large inland sea that extended from the Gulf of Mexico to the Arctic Ocean separating the North American continent into two distinct bodies of land. Tropical vegetation grew far to the north and sea-dinosaurs lived in the warm waters. Many of the bottom sea structures (or cretaceous chalk formations) remained after the ocean dryed up, some of which have been designated by Congress as a National Natural Monument. Some may rise from the plains only a few feet, but many tower over one hundred feet above the grassy plains. Silent...still...they bear a present testimony to the ancient past. Nearby is the Keystone Gallery which features Kansas fossils, artwork, rock and mineral specimens.

19.) Maxwell Wildlife Refuge (Canton) - Buffalo and elk tram tours at refuge in the Smoky Hills. There's also a tour center with displays and a gift shop.

20.) The Dalton Museum (Coffeyville) - Contains momentos of the famous gun battle when the infamous Dalton Gang tried to rob two Coffeyville banks simultaneously. Other Wild West items are also on display.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

Good list, Wichita is a nice city. That canal that runs through downtown to the science museum is cool.

What about that giant backhoe or tracter thingy. Know what I a talking about? Is Dodge City not an attraction?
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KCgridlock wrote:That canal that runs through downtown to the science museum is cool.
The Arkansas River...
KCgridlock wrote:What about that giant backhoe or tracter thingy. Know what I a talking about? Is Dodge City not an attraction?
Big Brutus, the world's largest bulldozer or something. I haven't visited that one yet, but I only hear it's impressive to gaze at for a bit. I guess it's an attraction, but not a destination. I did list Boot Hill Museum, Inc. in Dodge City.

BTW, Mike Hendricks of the KC Star disappoints me! I had to email him jus' a few minutes ago after readin' his article. He lists Kansas so-called attractions that he has visited...the Geographical Center of the United States? :lol:

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't see what makes KS people so mad...I lived in KS for many years up until after college and I wouldn't argue with anybody that says KS isn't a tourist destination...big deal.....I'm not arguing with anybody that says the Ozarks isn't a cultural destination or that MO has terrible beaches.

People don't live in KS because it's a tourist destination, why argue with somebody that states that?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KC wrote:People don't live in KS because it's a tourist destination, why argue with somebody that states that?
It's like someone tellin' you that, "At least you have a roof over your head, even though it's a crappy one." Okay, maybe not...but still. You wouldn't like it if someone said, "There's nothin' to see in Missouri but hillbilly attractions and potholes. Oh yeah, and there's this Arch thing in the most dangerous city in the U.S." I don't see why people in Missouri got pissed when the state wanted to put the St. Louis Arch on the license plates?

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Que...because that's not true....it's not just hillbilly attractions and potholes.

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KC wrote:Que...because that's not true....it's not just hillbilly attractions and potholes.
Jus' like it isn't true about Kansas being large ball's of twine and large bulldozers.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I lived in Kansas for much of my life, no way I'm going to try and tell people to come to Kansas for their summer vacation....long weekend maybe.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

I grew up in St Louis, spent time in Kirksville MO, Macon MO, Sikeston MO, Fredricktown MO, Joplin Mo, Branson MO, Clinton MO, Eldon MO, Barnett MO and Camdenton MO.

I live in Olathe KS, spend LOTS of time in Cherryvale KS, Independence KS, Coffeyville KS, and have visited Topeka, Rossville, Hays, Salina, Manhattan and Wichita KS.

Kansas is definitely not a destination when compared to the beauty of Missouri's rolling hills, major cities and associated attractions and strong pre-civil war history.

However, Kansas is a great place in it's own right. As Q pointed out in his list of attractions, a lot has happened throughout the last century in Kansas' cities and towns. I have become a fan of this states' historical value.

With that said, Kanas cannot possibly hold a candle to the fresh water getaways, big city attractions and small town, ethnic gems that lie within the Missouri borders.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

Personally I don't view either MO or KS as a vacation destination, although I travel to KC a couple times per year to visit family. I've only been to Branson once and that was in the 70s. Peronally, Branson isn't my type of place. So. Missouri does have nice hills/mountains though. And the KS Flint Hills are interesting.

I don't really think living close to or in a vacation destination is all that important. I live 10 miles from the beach and about 3 miles from Disneyland. I haven't been to Disney in 12 years and the only beach I've been to in the past year was in Hawaii. To be quite honest, in my day-to-day life, I don't do anything here in So. Cal that I couldn't do in KC. The only advantage for me here is the weather.