Do you like this architecture style?

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Denver Art Museum expansion

What does everybody think of this type of architecture...I absolutely HATE it. It looks so stupid. Why not make a nice majestic building (like the new PAC for example) and not something that looks like it feel down?

I just see this deconstructive architecture as a fad and something that will be laughed at in 10 years while things like Art Deco stand the test of time...anybody else?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I like it but not in context to its surroundings.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

It looks like something got blown up. To me, I don't find that artistically stimulating or even interesting to look at...it's just a big mess.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I have to admit, I think it's pretty cool. I like it better than the renderings I've seen of what they're doing at the Nelson.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Although I dont' like it, it wouldn't be as bad if it was for a contemporary art museum....I'd be pissed if it was an expansion to the Nelson, it would completely take away from the majestic Nelson......maybe for their current building, it's a good project for them.

I just don't like it.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

I don't know if I like this one or not. Yesterday I drove by the new Disney Perf. Arts Center in downtown L.A. and it has this sort of look to it, but more curvy. I liked it for the most part. Maybe someday the style will be labled as very "turn of the 21st century".
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'd be pissed if it was an expansion to the Nelson, it would completely take away from the majestic Nelson
Oh yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it would look better at the Nelson, just that I liked it better than what they're doing there. Personally, I wish they'd have stuck with something a little more classic for the Nelson.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I think it looks interesting, but still ugly. I would hate to have a building that looks like that in my town.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

That building is quite nice, but would look much better away from a bunch of block-shaped buildings. Doesn't fit the surroundings. Has anyone seen the new expansion/design for the Milwaukee Art Museum along Lake Michigan? I've heard it now rivals every museum in North America since its completion? I'm goin' up to check it out at the end of next month. I'll be sure to take a few pictures.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.