Ford Center in Okc

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
KC_JAYHAWK2

Ford Center in Okc

Post by KC_JAYHAWK2 »

Sources told me that the new arena in OKC (Ford Center) only cost $87M to build 2 years ago plus it seats 20,000. Somebody tell me how they pulled that off? From what I've heard it's a pretty nice arena, not comparable to AA arena in the Big D, but pretty nice anyways. The arena being proposed for KC is already over the $200M price tag. Do they know something we don't?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Ford Center in Okc

Post by KCPowercat »

what's up with the KC_Jayhawk2? Forget to log in?

I assume it lacks the numbers of luxury suites.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Ford Center in Okc

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

SSSHHHHHH....I'm hiding from Mikey. Yeah I was on my home computer and forgot to log on.

Still, doesn't that sound like a huge disparity in price tag? They must have built that sucker with the bare amenities. I would prefer to build at least a $200M arena, because hopefully the thing will be there for plus 30 years, you don't want to skimp too much.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Ford Center in Okc

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah $200M seems to be a good number...the $300M+ they spent for the AAC in Dallas is just overkill by Cuban.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ford Center in Okc

Post by dangerboy »

Mizzou is building a 15,000 seat basketball arena for around $60 million. It will have 25 suites. Both the architect and general contractor are Downtown KCMO companies. I believe something like $20 million of the cost was donated by the Laurie family, the Wal-Mart heirs that also own the Kiel Center in STL and the STL Blues hockey team.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... ily18.html

I am curious to see a more detailed breakdown of costs for the proposed KC arena and why it costs so much more for only 3,000 more seats. Property acquisition might be a big part of the difference, as MU already owns the land where it's arena is going. Might also be more expensive to make it usable for multiple sports like hockey, soccer, and arena football.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Ford Center in Okc

Post by KCPowercat »

UMB owns most of the land from what I've heard...any way we can get the land for next to nothing in exchange for "UMB arena"?

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ford Center in Okc

Post by dangerboy »

UMB Arena might be kinda awkward, since Kemper Arena was named after R. Crosby Kemper - of the UMB branch of the Kemper family. That would give us two arenas name after the same guy, or at least the guy and his company.

Isn't one of the big pushers for the arena also the local Bank of America president? Hallmark Dome or H&R Block Center would be cool too since they are locally-based and nationally known.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Ford Center in Okc

Post by KCPowercat »

Hallmark wouldn't throw 50 cents in the meter to help out for this...they are arts only type of company.

Some cool names I think would be:

- HoK Arena (let them design it so damn cool, they are nationally known for stadiums/arenas)
- H&R Block
- American Century
- Yellow (I could see this)
- Waddell & Reed (really fitting if they move to the PAC area)
- Sprint PCS
- Cerner (don't really advertise much)

just to name a few

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ford Center in Okc

Post by dangerboy »

Odds are that KCMO tax payers are going to foot some of the bill and I'm just not down with an out of town company putting their name on it (Yellow or Sprint) unless the public money came from a bi-state tax so that the whole region shared the cost. Neither Sprint nor Yellow have any connection whatsever to downtown, so they don't seem like logical choices. Plus, Sprint is on the verge of putting themselves out of business anyway.

I like H&R Block because they are local, are based in the central city, the name is well-known across the country, and the company isn't likely disappear and leave us with a nameless arena (e.g. TWA Dome). It's kinda silly when you have a stadium named after some company that most people have never heard of, like Network Associates Colliseum (Oakland), 3Com Park (San Francisco), or Ivensco Field (Denver).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Ford Center in Okc

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't think it matters when it comes to naming rights....to the people who will approve it I mean...it might mean a lot to residents of KCMO but usually those naming rights are more about getting the most cash.

KCgridlock

Ford Center in Okc

Post by KCgridlock »

What does ford have to do with OKC? I think Ford would have more to do with KC with the plant unless OKC has a big plant too.

Regardless, I never thought I would see the day when OKC had a better reputation than KC. I have been to Bricktown and it's nice, but OKC is nowwhere close to being KC.

We have GOT to fix our metropolitan area's living room, (downtown) and regain some respect. I just don't see how anybody can be against anything for downtown right now.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Ford Center in Okc

Post by ShowME »

The Ford Center is nice but it's just a barebones new arena if you ask me. I know OKC is really trying to lure an NHL team but it's gonna be years before they do that trust me. They just don't have the corporate support to make it work. Bricktown is ok as well. I like the job they're trying to do with OKC's downtown but I'm not really salivating over it to be honest with you. I've heard Whitlock rant and rave about how great OKC's downtown situation is and how much progress they've made compared to us. Come on they basically have a brand new arena which a contractor low balled the bid on and built it on the cheap. 10-15 years from now that thing is gonna look like crap trust me. Will leadership in OKC look like geniuses 5-7 years from now if there's still no pro team there and they've had 1 Big 12 tourney? I DONT THINK SO!
Calling a spade a spade.
newdowntown
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

BASS PRO SHOPS AND GAMEWORKS!!!

Post by newdowntown »

I WAS RECENTLY IN DOWNTOWN OKC AND I HAVE TO ENVY WHAT THEY ARE ACCOMPLISHING WITH THE AREA AROUND BRICKTOWN.
ON I-40 YOU CAN JUST SEE THE GAMEWORKS,BASS PRO SHOPS AND MOVIE THEATER RISING FROM ASHES........KCMO WE CAN ONLY HOPE THE CORDISH CO. CAN BRING IT ON, BECAUSE WE ARE GETTING BEHIND.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Ford Center in Okc

Post by trailerkid »

If being "behind" means not having Bass Pro downtown...then I'll take being behind anyday. Our downtown will rise from the ashes too, with or without an out of town developer.

We can do it KC!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Ford Center in Okc

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah I don't envy that bricktown district at all...it's small and lacking foot traffic or enough retail.....if that was built in KC, it would be laughed at by the residents.

newdowntown
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Ford Center in Okc

Post by newdowntown »

I must say I respect the views, however the three developments will bring other developments (such as retail) and it will also increase foot traffic. I am very supportive of the KC movement for downtown progress, but viewing construction cranes in OKC, I can only say that is signs of progress.
PS. A Marriot being built is also right next to where all the action is.
John Q. Hammons is building that development.
newdowntown
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Ford Center in Okc

Post by newdowntown »

http://www.bricktownokc.com/index.shtml
here is additional info I forgot.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Ford Center in Okc

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah it's probably a good development for them I just don't think KC needs to start learning lessons from smaller cities who are just now getting smaller versions of what we already have and want replaced....

Good for OKC, that's for sure, they need it.

newdowntown....you live down in OKC?

newdowntown
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Ford Center in Okc

Post by newdowntown »

No way!! ..I live in Lee's Summit.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Ford Center in Okc

Post by KCPowercat »

oh ok, you had just said something about seeing construction cranes, so just making sure.