KC vs StL

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

My humble opinions of KC vs. STL

Post by dangerboy »

1. The character of the city: STL is definitely an eastern city, while KC is much more western-oriented.

2. The people: People who migrated to Kansas City seem to have been farmers from the throughout the midwest. St. Louis got a lot of the hillbillies from who came up I-44 from the Ozarks, the Bootheel, and Arkansas.

3. State division: the KC metro is around 60/40 in MO/KS respectively. STL is more like 80/20 MO/IL so they have a much greater proportion of people in Missouri. Plus their metro has a million more people anyway.

4. Location of rich people: All of the super-rich people like CEOs and such live in on the MO side of STL in places like Ladue, Clayton, and Creve Ceur. In KC many of our movers and shakers live out of state in Mission Hills, KS. Granted we do have Sunset Hill and Ward Parkway, but again the state line split is much more even.

Numbers 3 and 4 mean that STL has much more clout at the state level, and thus is able to get more money for roads, schools, arenas, etc.

5. Urban condition: St. Louis City declined much more than central KC ever did. I would say STL is second only to Detroit in terms of urban decay, white flight, etc. Things didn't get as bad here and so we do have a higher place to work from.

6. Geogrphic size: KC is 300 hundred-some square miles while STL is only 30-50 square miles. KC is very fortunate have all of that annexed land north of the river. As it develops it will provide a much larger tax base and population to help support all areas of the city, including the urban core. St. Louis City is landlocked, all of the new greenfields development in there region occurs in the suburbs. They succeeded from St. Louis County and now the county refuses to let them back in.
Anonymous

KC vs StL

Post by Anonymous »

Nicely said ignatius!
Anonymous

KC vs StL

Post by Anonymous »

Yea that was me
KCgridlock

KC vs StL

Post by KCgridlock »

Good lord log me in