Chess Hall of Fame (St Louis)

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Chess Hall of Fame (St Louis)

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I saw a really interesting segment on Real Sports about Chess. Rex Sinquefield has sunk tons millions into Chess,trying to making the US a global power again and he is doing it all in St Louis, there are over 20 grandmasters living in St Louis, and he has moved/built the Chess Hall of Fame and built a huge chess venue all in the CWE. They hold large cash prize chess tournaments at this chess venue and he also introduced chess programs in the St Louis schools. Just thought it was a neat segment about Rex even though he was considered kind of a bad guy in the world of politics for the state of missouri, but the guy has done a lot for the city of st louis.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/other/h ... ef6fb.html
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Chess Hall of Fame (St Louis)

Post by Sani »

I wonder if he has anything to do with Webster University (my alma mater) starting up a chess team that now wins national tournaments.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Sani wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:35 am I wonder if he has anything to do with Webster University (my alma mater) starting up a chess team that now wins national tournaments.
Apparently, St. Louis is the Chess capital of America. And Webster's recent success - and I assume this museum - are a result of that fact.

https://www.economist.com/the-economist ... ss-capital
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

I'll take it if it means people stop thinking of Webster as an MBA mill with campuses nationwide at the nearest Class C office park.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Best Fans in Chess (TM)
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Sani wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:00 am I'll take it if it means people stop thinking of Webster as an MBA mill with campuses nationwide at the nearest Class C office park.
Out of respect for your degree, I avoided ANY comment about them moving into the vacant space in Ward Pkwy Mall.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

WSPanic wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:52 am
Sani wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:35 am I wonder if he has anything to do with Webster University (my alma mater) starting up a chess team that now wins national tournaments.
Apparently, St. Louis is the Chess capital of America. And Webster's recent success - and I assume this museum - are a result of that fact.

https://www.economist.com/the-economist ... ss-capital
I'm pretty sure Webster is success because of Rex Sinquefield's, he probably paid top chess masters to come to Webster, he has sunk about 50+ million into this hobby and he pays for grandmasters to live in St Louis to train, St Louis wouldn't be the Chess Capital of America without Rex. I wouldn't mind checking out a big chess tournament in st louis or checking out the musuem/hall of fame