STL MLS proposal resurrection

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: STL MLS proposal resurrection

Post by WSPanic »

moderne wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:31 pm It is ironic that those who campaigned against KC's Sprint Center want to build a stadium on the other side of the state with tax incentive financing.
That does seem like a fair issue to explore. I had forgotten about Enterprises campaign against the SC.

What kind of tax is this stadium going to be financed by?
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i mean, there's a difference between enterprise the corporate entity not happy about a large rental car tax, and the extended taylor family wanting to invest their personal wealth into their hometown 15 years later. but yes, kind of ironic.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

moderne wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:31 pm It is ironic that those who campaigned against KC's Sprint Center want to build a stadium on the other side of the state with tax incentive financing.
They already said they aren't asking for any TIFs.

All they are asking for is to not have to pay the amusement tax. (Blues and Cards don't pay it either)
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Big announcement on Tuesday, all media outlets reporting that STL has been awarded a team. Tuesday will bring the official announcement.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

The team will be called the St Louis Consolation Prize.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Assuming they'll just go with Cardinals again.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Enterprise STL
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

chingon wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:25 am The team will be called the St Louis Consolation Prize.
:twisted:

cool cool cool cool coool cool

:!:

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

idea for the kansas team: the kansas oh my god i didn't realize the sporting kc stadium was in such a horrific development it's even worse than sunbelt locations which actually make an attempt at faking urbanism guess im not taking the train or spending any money before or after the game around the stadium united :twisted:
Last edited by warwickland on Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:35 am Enterprise STL
this kind of scares me because i can see it happening.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

warwickland wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:11 pm
chingon wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:25 am The team will be called the St Louis Consolation Prize.

idea for the kansas team: the kansas oh my god i didn't realize the sporting kc stadium was in such a horrific development it's even worse than sunbelt locations which actually make an attempt at faking urbanism guess im not taking the train or spending any money before or after the game around the stadium united :twisted:
This captures it pretty well. Such a bummer that Sporting is so far out there. Limits my attendance to maybe one game a season. STL is going to have such a prime location.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

smh wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:16 pm
warwickland wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:11 pm

This captures it pretty well. Such a bummer that Sporting is so far out there. Limits my attendance to maybe one game a season. STL is going to have such a prime location.
the kc stadium, as far as i can tell, was the last pre-urban parking lot desert pad site stadium. houston and/or orlando built an urban stadium the next year. dallas has a suburban stadium but made a baseline effort so fans weren't left twisting in the wind in a sea of parking lots: https://goo.gl/maps/GiY9rwgs16TCMyte6

kck/ownership can and should do something like this...i don't know do people go up to the yard house and then walk down to the stadium?
Last edited by warwickland on Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

https://goo.gl/maps/8vRhKuG7TCjKzu7a9

i guess theres granite city brewery there. there's not even a sidewalk cut between the parking lot and the sidewalk, though.

one of the primary experiences of having an urban stadium anywhere/any sport is being able to somewhat participate in the overall experience even if you are just going to a bar across the street to watch the game on tv without having to buy a ticket...you still get some of that energy. it's almost like an insult to the fanbase if that ability is curtailed or taken away.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Great. STL has a team for 5 minutes and they're already telling us how wrong our city is doing it. Best fans in soccer? I kid, I kid.

Looking forward to a new stadium in downtown STL. Won''t hold my breath for Sporting ownership to commit to downtown kc. Based on my experience with baseball, now that the stadium is in the 'burbs, a majority of people would actually bitch if it moved downtown. We don't do "change" here smoothly.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Obviously western Wyco is not a good location for anything, but I am not sure we would want an MLS stadium downtown. Maybe somewhere downtown-adjacent, like the W or E Bottoms, or even NKC.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

WSPanic wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:31 pm Great. STL has a team for 5 minutes and they're already telling us how wrong our city is doing it. Best fans in soccer? I kid, I kid.

Looking forward to a new stadium in downtown STL. Won''t hold my breath for Sporting ownership to commit to downtown kc. Based on my experience with baseball, now that the stadium is in the 'burbs, a majority of people would actually bitch if it moved downtown. We don't do "change" here smoothly.
right? :lol: i guess i'm just thinking about going there for games and am not enthused with the exurban vibe...a vibe which makes me feel like i need to start fisting prozacs. it feels too much like st. charles county or something, which terrifies me.
chrizow wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:33 pm Obviously western Wyco is not a good location for anything, but I am not sure we would want an MLS stadium downtown. Maybe somewhere downtown-adjacent, like the W or E Bottoms, or even NKC.
the frontier edge of the crossroads seems like a good place..north kc would be near-perfect, too. i know stadiums are not good urbanism but i feel like they really need to be someplace that is someplace and someplace pedestrian-connected, in any case.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

warwickland wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:47 pm
WSPanic wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:31 pm Great. STL has a team for 5 minutes and they're already telling us how wrong our city is doing it. Best fans in soccer? I kid, I kid.

right? :lol: i guess i'm just thinking about going there for games and am not enthused with the exurban vibe...a vibe which makes me feel like i need to start fisting prozacs. it feels too much like st. charles county or something, which terrifies me.
chrizow wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:33 pm Obviously western Wyco is not a good location for anything, but I am not sure we would want an MLS stadium downtown. Maybe somewhere downtown-adjacent, like the W or E Bottoms, or even NKC.
the frontier edge of the crossroads seems like a good place..north kc would be near-perfect, too. i know stadiums are not good urbanism but i feel like they really need to be someplace that is someplace and someplace pedestrian-connected, in any case.
I like the idea of MLS downtown because of the year long soccer calendar, the smaller foot print that is more suited for an urban environment, and for the ease in hosting other events throughout the year.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I had a chance to speak with Sporting Ownership (Illig) about this. The main reason they moved the stadium to KCK was due to the Kansas STAR Bonds. The soccer itself is a money loosing/break even venture. It's the private events (many of which are Cerner events) that keep the lights on and allow for a small profit. Sporting KC will always need a Cerner office nearby to support the venture via private events.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

WSPanic wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:58 am Assuming they'll just go with Cardinals again.
LOL...wouldn't that be hilariously awesome?

Here is my wish list:

Spirit of Saint Louis
SC (Soccer City) St. Louis or Saint Louis
St. Louis Steamers
Gateway City United

Primary colors that of the flag - bold red with blue/yellow fleur de lis prominently displayed somewhere on the kit - corner of shorts and/or sleeve/upper torso corner.

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

The Fallen Arches?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

St. Louis Slingers
Toasted Ravs