Branson

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Branson

Post by mgsports »

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Branson

Post by StL_Dan »

They have been advertising heavily on FSMW Royal's broadcasts.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

They'll fit in great in Branson
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Same with Olathe,OP and so on.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Horrible Tragedy last night. If NTSB warned about this particular Duck Boat then why didn't the state do anything about them? All the life jackets in the world wouldn't have saved most people because the way this Duck Boat is designed. It really makes me question if I want to do any kind of Tourist Related activities (Boat Tour, Go Karts, Carnivals, Amusement Parks, Water Parks) ever again in the State of Missouri and Kansas with their lack of oversight.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/state/m ... 19170.html
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:12 am Horrible Tragedy last night. If NTSB warned about this particular Duck Boat then why didn't the state do anything about them? All the life jackets in the world wouldn't have saved most people because the way this Duck Boat is designed. It really makes me question if I want to do any kind of Tourist Related activities (Boat Tour, Go Karts, Carnivals, Amusement Parks, Water Parks) ever again in the State of Missouri and Kansas with their lack of oversight.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/state/m ... 19170.html
I understand the angst, but you still have a 1,000x greater chance of getting into a fatal car accident than you do of getting into a fatal accident in Branson on an amusement ride of some sort.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

A car accident is not the same thing in my opinion because you have more control in the car because your the one driving, you can control so many factors while behind the wheel and limit risk. You can even limit risk as a passenger observing potential risks (I'm a bad backseat driver).

When it comes to things like this you have no control over it because your not the one behind the wheel or the operator. You are leaving it in the hands of a "So Called Expert".

Its interesting we have had more amusement related fatalities in this country over the past 3-4 years, maybe even 10 years (Duck Boats, Amusement Parks, Hot Air Ballon Crashes) than Plane Crashes
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Good points. But...the mathematical odds are still far greater.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Someone was telling me a couple of weeks ago that Duck Boats in particular have a very bad track record.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

My initial thought was "doesn't this seem to happen every couple years somewhere in the country?"

Sure enough, (per Wikipedia) this is the fifth fatal incident since 2010. :-(
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

The problem with a duck boat is that it has a canopy and rides low in the water. If it becomes submerged people struggle to get out because of the canopy even if wearing life jacket. Nothing unique to Missouri or this particular operator that I'm aware.

My question is why they were on the water to begin with given the forecast. Regardless, just an awful situation for everyone involved.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

swid wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:41 am My initial thought was "doesn't this seem to happen every couple years somewhere in the country?"

Sure enough, (per Wikipedia) this is the fifth fatal incident since 2010. :-(
Only 2 of the fatal accidents were the result of a DUKW sinking in water. The other 5 were pedestrian/auto accidents (1 was because of an inattentive tug boat operator - not a faulty DUKW or poor judgement).
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:12 am It really makes me question if I want to do any kind of Tourist Related activities (Boat Tour, Go Karts, Carnivals, Amusement Parks, Water Parks) ever again in the State of Missouri and Kansas with their lack of oversight.
I understand why'd you be questioning that. But do you really think Missouri and Kansas are alone in their "lack of oversight"?

2/20/2003 in Rhode Island: The Station nightclub fire killed 100 people and injured 230.
8/1/2007 in Minnesota: The I-35W Bridge collapsed into the Mississippi River, killing 13 people and injuring 50.
8/13/2013 in Indiana: The Indiana State Fair stage collapse during a Sugarland concert killed 7 people and injured 58.
7/26/2017 in Ohio: Ride malfunctions at the Ohio State Fair, killing 1 and injuring 7. The ride had been inspected earlier that day and was cleared for operation.
3/15/2018 in Florida:, A 175-foot-long FIU pedestrian bridge collapsed onto the Tamiami Trail, killing 6 and injuring 9.

That's just off the top of my head. We can talk about the deaths at Disney World, if you'd like. My point is this isn't just a Kansas or Missouri problem. A little extra precaution in most or all of the situations listed above would have saved lives. We can only prepare ourselves for so much.
KC is the way to be!
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

grovester wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:29 am Someone was telling me a couple of weeks ago that Duck Boats in particular have a very bad track record.
This is not true. At least not for the Branson ones. They have a pretty spotless record.
smh wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:44 am The problem with a duck boat is that it has a canopy and rides low in the water. If it becomes submerged people struggle to get out because of the canopy even if wearing life jacket. Nothing unique to Missouri or this particular operator that I'm aware.

My question is why they were on the water to begin with given the forecast. Regardless, just an awful situation for everyone involved.
Canopy or not they have OPEN sides that are easy to get out from in an emergency. The main problem here was probably that most, if not all of the fatalities were non-swimmers, and that many bystanders didn't think to intervene.

Why were they on the water? For one because it's a tourist boat. For two, because when they entered the water everything was fine and there was nothing more than a weather watch (You know, those pesky things we see daily in these parts) in effect. On the way back to shore the freak Midwestern storm occurred. In a matter of minutes. There was no way a boat, out in the middle of the lake, with a max speed of 6.4mph in the water could get out of the water before that storm created the conditions that it did on the water. You do the math. It's not rocket science. It's a miracle they even made it back as close to shore as they did in the time they had.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

These boats seemed to have windows you could shut? There was a quote in the article about how they had them shut because the waves were splashing inside.