Hong Kong

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Hong Kong

Post by Riverite »

Hi all I recently moved from midtown to Hong Kong. I was wondering if you all would mind if I shared some of what I've noticed here in regards to urban development. I'm not sure how to post pictures to this forum. I know Hong Kong is obviously different but I've noticed a few things that I think could make KC feel much more pedestrian friendly. Let me know what you guys think. I don't want you all to feel like I'm spamming the site, I'm also still keeping up with the kc development
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Hong Kong

Post by grovester »

Spam away!
mykn

Post by mykn »

Wow! Congrats, that’s got to be exciting! I’d love to see your photos, post away.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

That's what "Out of Town Talk" is for!
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

Hong Kong is one of my favorite cities. I'd love to see what you've got.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Too lazy to figure out how to post pictures, so I’ll explain what I’ve noticed in the last 4 months.

The biggest thing I’ve noticed is how a lot of the older buildings pertrude out after the first floor which draws pedestrians eyes down instead of up. Which makes it in my opinion a more pleasant and less daunting walking experience. In fact one of the nicest parts of town, the food walk is just first floor dining experience with lights strung above the first floor to bring the eyes down to the pedestrian street. It’s a cheap yet ultimately beautiful way to make you feel like you are somewhere special even though the buildings around it are not beautiful at all.

Mixed use all the way. The streetcar serves a unique purpose and is well used despite lying along the same line as the subway. It’s basically free and more pleasant to get on and off which makes it nice for days off.
Overhead walkways really really help in a pinch.
The promenades are grand, and I think once Berkeley is connected will serve a similar yet less effective role. Harlem having one would be ideal. You see about 10x as many people as cars as they are essentially worthless here except far out of the center. A lot of wealthy people use golf carts on the islands.

I’ll try to think of more let me know if you have any questions
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Riverite wrote:Hi all I recently moved from midtown to Hong Kong. I was wondering if you all would mind if I shared some of what I've noticed here in regards to urban development. I'm not sure how to post pictures to this forum. I know Hong Kong is obviously different but I've noticed a few things that I think could make KC feel much more pedestrian friendly. Let me know what you guys think. I don't want you all to feel like I'm spamming the site, I'm also still keeping up with the kc development
You moved all the way to Hong friggin' Kong but don't know how to post images to our beloved forum? 8) :lol: 8)

Figure it out....I wanna see some cool pix.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

StL_Dan wrote:Figure it out....I wanna see some cool pix.
I agree, I think we'd all love to see whatever you've got that you'd like to share. Have you uploaded them somewhere?