STL International Airport

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

STL International Airport

Post by STLguy1 »

Found this on UrbanSTL site. Posted there and thought it was pretty impressive. I fly back and forth from STL on Southwest and find the airport in STL very nice. It just feels like a big airport to me, especially flying out of KCI. Our new airport will help, but not sure if it will have that "wow" or "big" feel though.

repost:

Cool Video of St. Louis Lambert International Airport Terminal 2 - E Concourse from gates E34 to E16 found on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/URHrV5w-yDo
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: STL International Airport

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

I flew into STL twice in 2017....sorry, it's not that impressive, it's an airport. Impressive is DIA, SEATAC, SkyHarbor, etc. You must not get out of Missouri much? The new KCI will be very nice and open.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

I surely wouldn't call STL impressive compared to PDX or something, except in it's ease of use. I really could not ask for more though out of a small/mid city airport except vastly more direct flights to europe, etc. i'm there in 12 minutes from home or work, it's clean, it has passable food/drink, it's compact, it's amazingly centralized, it seems to be back on track with improvements. yeah, it doesn't have tons of impressive hanging sculpture or caviar bars...but it also doesn't have endless bullshit corridors or food/drink/bathroom deserts or security/check-in backups or is way out away from the city. i'm out of the door, there and up in the air before i really have time to critique it any further. it's been a while since i've been in the southwest terminal so maybe it's not as nice as the main.

I don't think anyone could honestly say that STL/lambert hasn't improved markedly (that is actually familiar with the airport).
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I have never been in Lambert, but if PDX is the standard for impressive, I’m just not sure what in the fuck people are talking about. The only US airport I can ever remember enjoying was Honolulu.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chingon wrote:I have never been in Lambert, but if PDX is the standard for impressive, I’m just not sure what in the fuck people are talking about. The only US airport I can ever remember enjoying was Honolulu.
Are you being sarcastic? Most of Honolulu's airport is pretty crappy. Most of Sky Harbor is pretty nice, although I wouldn't say "impressive".

Lambert is not all that impressive. It has always had more amenities than MCI obviously, but I don't really care for it all that much. That video sure doesn't make it look too great. I certainly wouldn't rank it a top airport as far as design, architecture etc. Gets the job done way better than current MCI. The new MCI should be a pretty significant upgrade compared to STL.
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by STLguy1 »

I guess I am saying impressive in that it is busy... not aesthetics.

That being said, I fly every week - back and forth to KC. Sometimes I wish I didn't but I work in immigration and it is what it is.

Sky Harbor (PHX) is not impressive to me at all. It is just like STL if you ask me.
Portland (PDX) is a nice airport but really plain and almost 90's-ish but I see they are going to undergo a renovation. The ease is beautiful there.
SeaTac (Seattle) is just about the same as any other too. Not impressive - just an airport.

Denver (DEN/DIA) is probably the only airport in this country I would say is impressive aesthetic and feel. This is where you want to be in a layover.

ATL is just big and boring.

Out of the country - nothing beats IMO - Madrid! Amazing in every way shape and form.

I would like to add too - it all depends on the concourse and terminal you fly through in any airport!!! If you fly through STL's Terminal1 - the concourses are pretty much standard (nice and bright and renovated now) and the terminal building is impressive being built when it was and architecturally. Terminal 2 is new - but an airport and nothing "impressive" building wise - but busy and bustling and there is where I am using the "impressive" to describe.

As for our new airport - I am not impressed with the renderings, design or what it will achieve yet. I just think for the amount of money we are spending on this place we should have a terminal that looks like Indy's new terminal or something better. It really is not impressive at all IMO. It has a bigger open space and fountain with really NO architectural modern features IMO and the gate area looks just about like anywhere else. I think one of the worse things is that airlines will be vying for and sharing gates and concourses. Ease for transfers between airlines but not for initial growth. I am afraid that we are pouring out so much money that the airport fees (which we know are going up for us and the airlines) and any additional expansion will be moot for at least 20 years because of the budget and expense. :(
Last edited by STLguy1 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

What is impressive in StL is that new residential tower in Central West End. I really like that. I'm not sure who is building that, but KC could use a nice tall modern tower like that.
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by STLguy1 »

I agree the new 2 highrises in downtown STL and Central West End's modern One Hundred Tower are amazing and I have height envy/modern right now.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

STLguy1 wrote:I guess I am saying impressive in that it is busy... not aesthetics.

That being said, I fly every week - back and forth to KC. Sometimes I wish I didn't but I work in immigration and it is what it is.

Sky Harbor (PHX) is not impressive to me at all. It is just like STL if you ask me.
Portland (PDX) is a nice airport but really plain and almost 90's-ish but I see they are going to undergo a renovation. The ease is beautiful there.
SeaTac (Seattle) is just about the same as any other too. Not impressive - just an airport.

Denver (DEN/DIA) is probably the only airport in this country I would say is impressive aesthetic and feel. This is where you want to be in a layover.

ATL is just big and boring.

Out of the country - nothing beats IMO - Madrid! Amazing in every way shape and form.

I would like to add too - it all depends on the concourse and terminal you fly through in any airport!!! If you fly through STL's Terminal1 - the concourses are pretty much standard (nice and bright and renovated now) and the terminal building is impressive being built when it was and architecturally. Terminal 2 is new - but an airport and nothing "impressive" building wise - but busy and bustling and there is where I am using the "impressive" to describe.
As far as being busy, it looks like any airport in the country as you are leaving a gate really. Well, except MCI haha. MCI is sort of its own thing as you can't really compare it to any other airport, it's just so different and in a crappy way.

StL airport still looks very dated though, at least those concourse corridors do. I thought they remodeled some of it.

I fly a lot and have used most airports and I don't really remember most of them. They all become a blur. The worst and nicest sort of stand out. I still say KCI is one of the worst by far. I would take the big messes like ATL over MCI. MCI is basically a greyhound bus station. But I would agree that Denver is probably the one of the most impressive. It's just so big and there is so much open space (inside open space) etc. Very up to date. Orlando sort of comes to mind as as being pretty impressive, but I recall it being under construction a lot.

Most big airports have really nice terminals while at the same time they also have really crappy terminals. So it really depends on what part of an airport you use.
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by STLguy1 »

But seriously (again) look at these renderings ...
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... g/421223/1

NOT impressed. Terminal 2 in STL looks way better IMO Sorry.
http://fox2now.com/live-streaming-video ... eb-camera/
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

GRID wrote:
chingon wrote:I have never been in Lambert, but if PDX is the standard for impressive, I’m just not sure what in the fuck people are talking about. The only US airport I can ever remember enjoying was Honolulu.
Are you being sarcastic? Most of Honolulu's airport is pretty crappy.
Haha. I just said it was the only one I ever “enjoyed”. Pretty sure it was exclusively due to the open air aspect.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The renderings were just to show the voters what a new terminal could look like. Save your judgment till the time when the
official plan ones come out
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

STLguy1 wrote:I agree the new 2 highrises in downtown STL and Central West End's modern One Hundred Tower are amazing and I have height envy/modern right now.
1 of those 3 is worth mentioning. The other 2 are as cookie cutter as it gets. Welcome to the 2010s, StL.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

GRID wrote:What is impressive in StL is that new residential tower in Central West End. I really like that. I'm not sure who is building that, but KC could use a nice tall modern tower like that.
Agree. That tower would look fantastic in the Crossroads or even CC.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

haha ok. i think folks are talking past each other. if i want impressive i'll go to the international terminal at LAX and sit in the mirrored champagne and caviar bar.

"impressive" means little to me for a small city airport. getting to the airport and then my gate quickly, with NO security backup, with some clean, close by bathrooms and maybe a decent place for a quick lunch or a beer is EVERYTHING. i guess im old. lambert is so convenient that i hardly ever spend any time there. i'm in and up. the pragmatic improvements to lambert over the past five years or whatever are everything.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

STLguy1 wrote:Found this on UrbanSTL site. Posted there and thought it was pretty impressive. I fly back and forth from STL on Southwest and find the airport in STL very nice. It just feels like a big airport to me, especially flying out of KCI. Our new airport will help, but not sure if it will have that "wow" or "big" feel though.

repost:

Cool Video of St. Louis Lambert International Airport Terminal 2 - E Concourse from gates E34 to E16 found on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/URHrV5w-yDo
lambert kind of reminds me of a giant, 80s white laminate kitchen, aesthetically speaking.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Give me Missoula's airport.