How did Branson get a Ferris Wheel Before us?

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

How did Branson get a Ferris Wheel Before us?

Post by mister816 »

I don't know if I'm alone in this but i really believe that the plaza or crossroads is in need of a public meeting space with unique art and entertainment and I always thought that we would/should end up with a Ferris Wheel. One of those surface lots in the crossroads would, or directly in front of Brush Creek (if the NIMBYs would allow it) would make a perfect location for a wheel. Cities like Las Vegas, Atlanta and Chicago have figured this out and we should get out in front of this one.

I know that it's not exactly a priority and it seems insignificant but we seem to lack a something and it would be relatively inexpensive. Here's what Branson got their hands on a couple of years back.

http://www.bransontracks.com/rides/ferris-wheel
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: How did Branson get a Ferris Wheel Before us?

Post by longviewmo »

Because we aren't a gimmicky tourist trap like Branson?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mister816 wrote:One of those surface lots in the crossroads would, or directly in front of Brush Creek (if the NIMBYs would allow it) would make a perfect location for a wheel.[/url]
It's not the NIMBYs for the second site, it's the FAA that would be involved. Maintaining existing helicopter flight paths into St. Luke's is critical and anything tall is a potential impact.

Who wants to deal with that for a ferris wheel when you can build an actual building?

That said, I do think the idea has some merit in a spot which has no issues today. That would be a really cool use of the top level of a parking garage as we need less parking space. Imagine a ferris wheel in the 1000 block of Main among the downtown towers
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

longviewmo wrote:Because we aren't a gimmicky tourist trap like Branson?
So Chicago, Las Vegas, New jersey, Los Angeles ect. Are all "gimmicky tourist traps"? If a outdoor public meeting space with an anchor is a gimmick then so be it. I personally think that it would draw foot traffic downtown and that in turn would help the current businesses and create more. Especially on date nights.

Like I said, I might be in the minority here but I think that small things like this can help is go from being a town to a city.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Stan Glazer makes his comeback! Are you running for mayor again?

http://www.pitch.com/news/article/20567 ... remembered

NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

On the Plaza? 10th & Main? In the Crossroads?
No. :roll:

In the Union Station/Crown Center area that could take full advantage of the viewpoint and where there is already a critical mass of family-oriented attractions?
Yes. =D>

aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

yea that wouldn't be a bad spot on the union station grounds, honestly that park is one of the locations I was thinking of when i said the crossroads. Another good location would be in the park that's made when/if they cap 70. I don't see the downside of brush creek tho.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

put it in penn valley park. that things needs more visitors.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

DaveKCMO wrote:put it in penn valley park. that things needs more visitors.
I actually think a gondola from US to Penn Valley park/liberty memorial makes a lot of sense. Plus put a ferris wheel and an arboretum or botanical gardens or something in the park and you would have a ton of visitor and synergy.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

i think that even tho PVP is close, there is no easy route to get there from CC or DT without walking through a dead area or getting on a bus. Even though it's close people won't want to walk there. If i were to take the wife out for dinner and a movie I wouldn't want to touch my car or get on a bus.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mister816 wrote:i think that even tho PVP is close, there is no easy route to get there from CC or DT without walking through a dead area or getting on a bus. Even though it's close people won't want to walk there. If i were to take the wife out for dinner and a movie I wouldn't want to touch my car or get on a bus.
I can't find the article again but the Liberty Memorial staff was quoted as saying they were doing path upgrades from Union Station because walking from that direction increased post streetcar.

That's probably the only good route on foot though.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Does the ferris wheel at Worlds of Fun count? That was probably there before Branson got theirs. So the joke's on Branson, really.
KC is the way to be!
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

flying ember. here's an article mentioning the subject of streetcar influence on walkers to the Memorial.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

missingkc wrote:flying ember. here's an article mentioning the subject of streetcar influence on walkers to the Memorial.
The link is missing, KC.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

shinatoo wrote:
missingkc wrote:flying ember. here's an article mentioning the subject of streetcar influence on walkers to the Memorial.
The link is missing, KC.
heh heh, I see what you did there.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I found it.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 68759.html
Memorial officials have noted a significant uptick in pedestrians approaching the museum from the north and using the north lawn, attributed in part to the streetcar that stops at Union Station. Several benches will be added to the walkways in the north lawn.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

mister816 wrote:I don't know if I'm alone in this but i really believe that the plaza or crossroads is in need of a public meeting space with unique art and entertainment and I always thought that we would/should end up with a Ferris Wheel. One of those surface lots in the crossroads would, or directly in front of Brush Creek (if the NIMBYs would allow it) would make a perfect location for a wheel. Cities like Las Vegas, Atlanta and Chicago have figured this out and we should get out in front of this one.

I know that it's not exactly a priority and it seems insignificant but we seem to lack a something and it would be relatively inexpensive. Here's what Branson got their hands on a couple of years back.

http://www.bransontracks.com/rides/ferris-wheel
Atlanta's Ferris wheel seemed to get about as much use as their streetcar(close to no use) when I visited last summer.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

and we use the crap out of our streetcar. Maybe it's a different clientele here than Atlanta.