St. Louis/CWE studio gang skyscraper proposal

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

St. Louis/CWE studio gang skyscraper proposal

Post by warwickland »

this broke last night:

"The first rendering available reveals the most forward design tower presented in St. Louis in decades. The first image available shows a stunning 36-story, 385-foot residential tower. The building, at 100 N. Kingshighway, will be known as One Hundred.The $130M tower will have 305 apartments, 355 parking spaces, and a small retail space of less than 1K sf on the ground level."

"Studio Gang is known for high design, with recent residential projects featuring an undulating exteriors that maximize air and light exposure and offer a landmark facades. In Chicago, the firm’s recent projects include City Hyde Park and Aqua Tower."

"According to a company profile, Antheus Capital and its two subsidiaries, Silliman and Mac, have acquired and redeveloped more than 130 buildings and 6,000 total living units of multi-family and mixed use properties in Chicago, Kansas City, and St. Louis. The company redevelops to hold and manages its own properties."

the other properties aquired will be renovated.

https://nextstl.com/2016/12/stunning-sk ... hway-site/
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: St. Louis/CWE studio gang skyscraper proposal

Post by NorthOak »

Nice tower and development. Not sold on the overall design. That will take awhile to get used to.
Just looking at the very top - it has a very cool art-deco appeal.
Going all the way up the sides it is fugly though.

I would love to see something this size go up at 31st & Main which has a central location to Downtown and the Plaza.
That area could really become something special as many of the pieces are in place to the east of it now.
Imagine the incredible views it would have with downtown on the north and Plaza on the south.
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Weird looking building. Here's hoping that design is modified substantially.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

The design looks like a bunch of chinese take out boxes stacked onto of eachother
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

for real
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i definitely would like to see a few more renderings.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I wish we were seeing buildings proposed like this that we could debate rather than a bunch of 6 story NSPJ econoboxes.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

smh wrote:I wish we were seeing buildings proposed like this that we could debate rather than a bunch of 6 story NSPJ econoboxes.
=D>
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Thinking through this real world I see several things positive about the building

The sky is a similar color and they rendered this without shadows. So it's too flat. Add blue sky and the shadows changing throughout the day and I like the various angles on it.

We know given two similar buildings the ones with a variety of materials or a variety of shapes works better as a design. This one is uniform in materials but solves that.

It appears to be parking below units but they try to blend the two together like Two Light

About the only thing I don't like is a lack of attempt to fit into a neighborhood. The best new buildings take cues from what's around. This one doesn't really fit into the surroundings.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

flyingember wrote:
About the only thing I don't like is a lack of attempt to fit into a neighborhood. The best new buildings take cues from what's around. This one doesn't really fit into the surroundings.
i watched a snippet of the local news where one of the architects was specifically addressing this. they sort of went out of their way for it not to match the other buildings in the neighborhood - although the central west end is already a mish-moshy collection of late 19th century/pre-ww1/deco/40s/mid-century/90s (even though this stuff was built more recently it's pretty dated 90s-y stuff already, like the whole foods, etc).

there's a lot of people that think st. louis desperately needs more envelope pushing design, i think studio gang is leaning into that. i think a lot of people are ready for this kind of thing, here.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I think studio gang gave a presentation at the Nelson within the past year that I attended. They do some pretty amazing work. I would give them the benefit of the doubt.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

here is sort of an aerial view:

nextstl.com

this is a good block to build on...it sort of is the surface lot problem child of the central west end. there has also been speculation that there will be a highrise proposal for the adjacent parcel, also currently a parking lot.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

smh wrote:I wish we were seeing buildings proposed like this that we could debate rather than a bunch of 6 story NSPJ econoboxes.
Should we demolish One Light and Two Light and start over? Those two equal twice the capacity of the STL project - and they look better.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

WSPanic wrote:
Should we demolish One Light and Two Light and start over? Those two equal twice the capacity of the STL project - and they look better.
Understood. But see latest convention hotel rendering for further support of my point. I really have no problem with the Cordish buildings, I just wish in general when new buildings were proposed we would starting seeing an emphasis on design instead of projects that get VE-ed to death.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

This breaks ground this upcoming Tuesday. It was also slightly redesigned. New Rendering on its website - liveat100.com
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

This broke ground today (Commencement Ceremony) and it was a nice day for it. Sunny, Warm and a Breeze made it really nice. In 20 months, this lot will be gone and a new, 36 floor building will stand in its place. Also, MAC must have some other projects planned for St. Louis.
Last edited by Chris Stritzel on Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I've read on urbanstl that people weren't super keen on the asthetics but I really like it. It's certainly unique but it sort of reminds me of Taipei 101. I think it will be a great addition to the cwe. I think sort of looks like East Asian modernism and I really appreciate a mix of different architectural styles in cities.
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by STLguy1 »

I like it too. Super sleek and modern. Looks like something that would be in Chicago, NYC or Toronto.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I think it looks very bold and would take it in KC in a heart beat. Looking forward to seeing it after completion.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i wish it were just a bit taller, feels slightly squat.