St. Louis Metrolink new study

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

St. Louis Metrolink new study

Post by flyingember »

Stenger earlier Wednesday informed the East-West Gateway Council of Governments’ board that the county intended to spend $1 million to study MetroLink expansion.

Funding will be drawn from the $80 million the county collects each year from an annual transit sales tax approved by voters in 2010. The referendum designated that money be set aside to analyze nonvehicular transportation alternatives.

Earlier proposals identified three possible MetroLink corridors: the “Daniel Boone” running from Clayton to Westport; “MetroNorth” from Lambert-St. Louis International Airport to Florissant; and “MetroSouth,” from Shrewsbury to Butler Hill Road.

“The East-West study will determine if there is a viable MetroLink line out there. And by viable, I mean would it qualify for federal funds,” said Jerry Blair, director of transportation for East-West Gateway.
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metr ... e7372.html
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: St. Louis Metrolink new study

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

"Nonvehicular" usually just means non-automobile. But I would love a transporter, yessir.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

the metro-south line needs to happen, as the central corridor and northwest county have been served more or less. besides, having a metrolink stop right on cherokee street is pretty damn rad.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

st. louis has a pretty dismal record of TOD around their stations. also... given that there is much disagreement about which line should be next, i wouldn't expect this to get sorted anytime soon (and the main urban route -- north/south -- isn't even on the county's radar).
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

DaveKCMO wrote:st. louis has a pretty dismal record of TOD around their stations. also... given that there is much disagreement about which line should be next, i wouldn't expect this to get sorted anytime soon (and the main urban route -- north/south -- isn't even on the county's radar).
i've been hearinig claims that a new development/tower in downtown clayton is considered TOD, and clayton has been specifically wanting to encourage TOD. but overall you are very right.
Louman
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Louman »

DaveKCMO wrote:st. louis has a pretty dismal record of TOD around their stations.
St. Louis' (Missouri -side) MetroLink system, as you may know, was built along abandoned railroad tracks that fortunately traversed many of St. Louis busiest nodes of business.

The inaugural line traversed some of the main business, entertainment, residential, educational (SLU & UMSL) and medical nodes of the region.

One of the reasons why early MetroLink planners chose those abandoned tracks is because it would instantly guarantee high ridership and federal dollars.

With the exception of the Illinois-side extension, there really hasn't been any room (or much of a need) for TOD on the Missouri-side - only if there are tear-downs.

The Missouri-side lines have had a number of TADs (Transit Adjacent Development), which can be just as positive for transit riders.

Nevertheless, without much fanfare, there have been numerous TOD and TAD developments around MetroLink stations over the years and fairly recently.

Some have been very near the stations while others have been in close proximity to the stations. Others are proposed. Also, in order for TODs to happen, there has to be demand. TOD demand has been growing in St. Louis.
DaveKCMO wrote:also... given that there is much disagreement about which line should be next, i wouldn't expect this to get sorted anytime soon (and the main urban route -- north/south -- isn't even on the county's radar).
St. Louis County will get its Westport line. St. Louis County is the most populous county in the region and the county wants to grow employment at Westport.

St. Louis County gave Metro a big loan in 2013, so I suspect Metro (and East-West Gateway) will lean on the side of St. Louis County for the next extension.

Metro needs to plan north-south BRT lines (Grand, Kingshighway, Jefferson) in St. Louis City.