Austin Texas is Booming

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Austin Texas is Booming

Post by LCDSI »

Take a look at all these projects in downtown austin.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/slide ... nging.html

I'm amazed at how much construction they have going on.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Austin Texas is Booming

Post by FangKC »

I wish we were getting a convention hotel that looks like the proposed Fairmont Hotel in Austin.

LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

FangKC wrote:I wish we were getting a convention hotel that looks like the proposed Fairmont Hotel in Austin.

I second that.

I'm just blown away at how much activity they have. I hope we catch up soon.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Austin's downtown is already unrecognizable from even five years ago - can't believe they're getting two 1,000+ room hotels and both are 4-5 star property flags.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Unbelievable. I wish we were getting "a" convention hotel. We've talked about why we can't have one for a decade. Good for Austin. They built a fricking Formula One track, the momentum there is amazing.

Still not sure how midwestern cities can develop the kind of economy and social infrastructure to truly compete with places like Austin, Denver, Seattle, etc. Chicago has the scale and urban amenities to play, but generally it seems "our" cities (lumping in essentially every midwestern city of any scale) can best hope to become small hubs within their own regions rather than a national draw (for both population/talent and perhaps more importantly, capital) of any significance. Would love to see that change.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I clicked through some of the links to see if any of these hotels (because there are several more than just the 2 larger 1000 room hotels) being built are receiving any incentives. It appears they are not- or at least it was not reported. While I really wish we were getting a 1000 room hotel, I've got to say it seems like a losing battle to throw incentives after.
Zorobabel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Zorobabel »

The stuff they have in the pipeline is pretty amazing, too.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

Austin is now the 11th largest city, y'all. With the infrastructure of a much smaller place. The schools situation is interesting, and traffic is starting to resemble Istanbul.

Rents and home prices are zooming.

I'm just saying.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Interesting article about Austin's hotel market downtown.

http://skift.com/2013/10/06/austins-com ... n-the-u-s/

I wonder what our current occupancy rate is in KC. according to the article it is at 78% for Austin which is considered very high and thereby causing the sudden rush of hotel room construction.
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

I'm in Austin this weekend so taking a look downtown. Condos going up everywhere. Today's paper said another one planned will be 2nd tallest downtown bldg. 50 stories? Saw one ad for 1200 sq ft unit that reminded me of condos in Wallstreet Tower. View of river and few low office bldgs. 1 bdrm, 1.5 baths. It's 1 million. Dues are $900/mo. and taxes are $25,750! YES, no state income tax but be ready for that. Seems like it starts at $500 sq ft and up. JE Dunn doing one bldg. Developers must be cashing in like crazy selling at those prices. Paper said one bldg. was completely reserved before it opened -- 400 units!

It's booming and vibrant but you'd better love Austin to pay those kind of prices. I walked down 6th street last night. Basically college bars. Super dirty sidewalks, beer stench. At least Nola hoses down Bourbon St. There are packs of shirtless meth heads just hanging out. Every block you get hit up for $. Not a fan. Seemed like some good live music happening but no different than a lot of college bar districts around the country.

I took a look online of the Top 10 things to do in Austin. Lady Bird Johnson Museum? See the bats come out of the bridge? Tour the Capital? Meh. I'll go drink I guess.
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

Judging Austin by 6th Street is a little like judging KC by the P&L district. South Congress is more laidback and Ginny's Little Longhorn is a gem, or it was several years ago when I visited. Chicken Shit Bingo on Sunday's if you're still around!

My issue with Austin is that there's neat stuff to do -- great little honky tonks, BBQ places, etc. and so on -- but it's so spread out that you really need a car to get anywhere.