Missouri's paw-paw French dialect fading into silence

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Missouri's paw-paw French dialect fading into silence

Post by warwickland »

OLD MINES, Mo. — In hand-painted yellow letters on an old shack next to St. Joachim’s Catholic Church just off Route 21 are a few simple words, “Bienvenue a la Vieille Mine” — Welcome to the old mine.

It’s a salutation to the past in a place peppered with historic artifacts, in a dying dialect.

In this place just a stone’s throw from St. Louis, there are still tree markers left by the Cherokee as they passed through on the Trail of Tears.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2 ... lence.html
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Missouri's paw-paw French dialect fading into silence

Post by chingon »

Wow. That's awesome. When I was young, there were still a few communities in central Kansas in which elderly people spoke with an identifiably German accent, despite being native English speakers with little or no knowledge of German. I think they're all gone now.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

That was probably part of the Volga German community that immigrated to central Kansas and Oklahoma in the late 19th c.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

That was the deal with Lawrence Welk. He was born in the US, but everyone in his town in North Dakota was German. Even after two or three generations, everyone either still spoke German or spoke it with a German accent.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

chaglang wrote:That was probably part of the Volga German community that immigrated to central Kansas and Oklahoma in the late 19th c.
Thems my people
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

kboish wrote:
chaglang wrote:That was probably part of the Volga German community that immigrated to central Kansas and Oklahoma in the late 19th c.
Thems my people
Nice. Very interesting history!
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

'Twas. Though, obviously there were significant Czech and German/German communities in central Kansas as well. Growing up in urban NE Kansas, I always thought of the state as being predominantly British Islanders (WASP/Irish/Scottish). It wasn't until I got a car that I really discovered how overwhelmingly central European KS, especially rural KS, is. I thought it was just a lot of Joneses, Scotts and Reillys, then I went west of Manhattan and...bierocks!