Companies Say Goodbye to the 'Burbs

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Companies Say Goodbye to the 'Burbs

Post by pstokely »

heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Companies Say Goodbye to the 'Burbs

Post by heatherkay »

It's behind a paywall. What was the gist?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

pash wrote:Here's a link that should get you around the paywall: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... JND9Lcg0wA

There seem to be more and more of these articles since they first started popping up a few years ago. I think we have a thread around here somewhere with some others. ... I read a similar article a few days ago that mentioned rumors that Google is considering moving into SF. Something like would really crystallize the "end of the suburbs" meme.

in what industries in this highest in, and what regions also? not happening here with Cerner or Sprint
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

but how many of them will stick around after their kids reach school age? they'll just find a new batch if that happens
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

If or when Sprint moves to the West coast, will they move to somewhere urban or to another suburban complex?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Look at who is running most companies. It will tend towards white, suburban dudes of 50 years plus. Many of these decision makers are not tapped in to the future trends of their companies, nor do they want to be, as they are focused on todays results. Someone else can worry about tomorrow (telling sentiment...eh?)

Tech companies tend to be run by younger, more diverse and certainly more entrepreneurial minds, who I believe to generally be more aware of and reactive to shifts in the culture. They are often among the early adopters and inherently the change makers........
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

I can only hope Kansas City starts a campaign to lure young tech startups or even established companies to build or relocate to areas between City Market down to Crown Center. With the upcoming addition of residential housing in the next couple years and hopefully a resurgence of additional shopping and services in the downtown and surrounding areas, would be a great time for young companies to be here. I wish we could lure an UrbanTarget/McDonalds/Resdential project into the Crossroads.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

geeman68 wrote:I can only hope Kansas City starts a campaign to lure young tech startups or even established companies to build or relocate to areas between City Market down to Crown Center. With the upcoming addition of residential housing in the next couple years and hopefully a resurgence of additional shopping and services in the downtown and surrounding areas, would be a great time for young companies to be here. I wish we could lure an UrbanTarget/McDonalds/Resdential project into the Crossroads.
McDonald's to the Crossroads?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Question.

What would you choose? A large company decides to locate from out of the area or relocate from an area suburb to the downtown area of KCMO, specifically the Crossroads area. However it is a large company and will need a large footprint, say two to three blocks, for its facilities. Yes, there are surface parking lots but not enough in a concentrated area so some buildings will have to come down. Do you say yes or no?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Question.

What would you choose? A large company decides to locate from out of the area or relocate from an area suburb to the downtown area of KCMO, specifically the Crossroads area. However it is a large company and will need a large footprint, say two to three blocks, for its facilities. Yes, there are surface parking lots but not enough in a concentrated area so some buildings will have to come down. Do you say yes or no?
It depends on whether they understand how to build a context sensitive development. I would not support a Corporate Woods plopped at 18th & Oak. I would, however, support Amazon-esque redevelopment of a swatch of downtown.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

In the early 1970's, Joseph Canzaro (sp.) of New Orleans proposed redevelopment of the Old Town neighborhood of downtown KC....now known at the River Market.

He had a vision of creating a Corporate Woods style suburban campus in the heart of downtown.

It was Marion Trozzolo, who made a few shekels from putting teflon on frying pans, that bought up properties and mounted the opposition that kept this from happening.

What would downtown be today......Potterville?

I believe I would likely be living somewhere else.....

edit: Important fact. The plan was to scrape all the old stuff away.
Last edited by loftguy on Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Ugh. Makes me think of the Con Agra campus in Omaha.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

pstokely wrote:If or when Sprint moves to the West coast, will they move to somewhere urban or to another suburban complex?
little known fact: due to an acquisition, sprint now has about 80 employees in downtown kansas city working for a wholly-owned subsidiary. after the acquisition, some campus employees of this subsidiary were RELOCATED DOWNTOWN.