The Undramatic Thread Title Thread for St. Louis Development

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: The Undramatic Thread Title Thread for St. Louis Develop

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The barriers by Troost were to stop the Johns from going down the street to go around the block.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:The barriers by Troost were to stop the Johns from going down the street to go around the block.
Sure. My point still stands however. Are you telling me the hookers can't move down to a block without barriers? Regardless, it is time to get rid of the barriers. The neighborhoods are getting much better, and they stand in the way of development.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Demosthenes wrote:
aknowledgeableperson wrote:The barriers by Troost were to stop the Johns from going down the street to go around the block.
Sure. My point still stands however. Are you telling me the hookers can't move down to a block without barriers? Regardless, it is time to get rid of the barriers. The neighborhoods are getting much better, and they stand in the way of development.
They were telling them they can, and encouraging them to do so.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

The hookers and the johns could go anywhere they want to go "except down my block". Just that simple reason for the barriers.
Maybe the current residents like the barriers. Makes their street more like a private street.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

So the residents only cared about their block, and not their neighborhood. How nice!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Demosthenes wrote:So the residents only cared about their block, and not their neighborhood. How nice!
Well aren't you high and mighty? So your saying that if you lived in a once vibrant neighborhood that had completely disintegrated around you, and the police were doing basically nothing about it, you wouldn't take whatever measures you could to reduce crime on your street?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Their neighborhood is their block.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

shinatoo wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:So the residents only cared about their block, and not their neighborhood. How nice!
Well aren't you high and mighty? So your saying that if you lived in a once vibrant neighborhood that had completely disintegrated around you, and the police were doing basically nothing about it, you wouldn't take whatever measures you could to reduce crime on your street?
:D High and mighty? Haha lets calm down now. Yes I would probably do whatever I could to help improve the street. Still I don't really think these barriers do much good. I'm pretty sure crime remained in the area, even on these blocks with the barriers.

And say what you will, but people who only care about their doorstep and not the neighborhood around them kind of have what's coming to them. How do you expect your neighborhood to get better by creating small "enhancements" meant only to serve your half block? The barriers in fact only push the problem onto their neighbors a street over. I realize that it isn't an easy situation to deal with, and their isn't a very good answer on how to improve the neighborhood, but the barriers are hardly a good choice. It's a sort of selfish decision they made, though I'm sure at the time it was pretty much everyone looking out for themselves. No way a neighborhood can thrive with that way of thinking.

Regardless I have trouble believing these barriers did anything to improve the neighborhood.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

shinatoo wrote:
The more I think about your quote I'm envisioning Gran Torino. I want to clarify from my previous comments that I would do what I could to help my street in a safe and watchful manner, not by packing heat and teaching the young punks a lesson haha. This whole scenario is a pretty scary one: a bunch of otherwise law-abiding citizens trying to play law enforcement on the local trouble makers. I really don't think that is something that should be advised.

I give the residents props for not blasting some pimps and going forth with the barriers instead. As much as I don't like the barriers and think they are pointless and selfish, they are infinitely better than a bunch of George Zimmermans.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Demosthenes wrote:
shinatoo wrote:
The more I think about your quote I'm envisioning Gran Torino. I want to clarify from my previous comments that I would do what I could to help my street in a safe and watchful manner, not by packing heat and teaching the young punks a lesson haha. This whole scenario is a pretty scary one: a bunch of otherwise law-abiding citizens trying to play law enforcement on the local trouble makers. I really don't think that is something that should be advised.

I give the residents props for not blasting some pimps and going forth with the barriers instead. As much as I don't like the barriers and think they are pointless and selfish, they are infinitely better than a bunch of George Zimmermans.
You're looking at this through a 2014 resident, and not through a 1974 resident. 6 years removed from real, violent, riots in the streets. Living in a neighborhood that over a decade had, for all practical purposes, been abandoned by it's long term residents and by the city. It was an overwhelming tide of change for the worse, and they were just trying to keep afloat any way they could.

I don't disagree with you about how the community should act to persevere their neighborhood, but by the time those barriers when up, there wasn't really a neighborhood to persevere anymore. At least not one that those residents could recognize.

You can't judge the actions those in the past by today's standards.

Sorry for calling you high and mighty on a snarky manner.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

anyway,

the central corridor boom continues, this has just been proposed for the central west end. this is two blocks east of forest park on lindell.

http://nextstl.com/2014/05/14-story-200 ... -west-end/
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Anchors and transit spur growth of St. Louis corridor
Tim Bryant

St. Louis and some inner suburbs lost population during the last decade, but countering that trend is the robust corridor that begins at the Arch and runs eight miles west.

That corridor is a narrow stretch from the riverfront to Interstate 170, roughly bounded by Delmar Boulevard to the north and Interstate 64 (Highway 40) to the south.

Yet this is where St. Louisans fill offices, run companies, conduct medical research, visit museums, attend plays and concerts, dine, study, go to court, ride mass transit and launch startups. They live in grand old homes, vintage or modern high-rises, lofts and modest houses.

In short, it’s where St. Louis succeeds as a city. And it’s growing, led by a boom in life-science research and health care. As elsewhere, St. Louis is benefiting from the changing perception that cities are good places to live.

From busy downtown Clayton, the march to the Arch of institutions and neighborhoods includes the Moorlands, Claverach Park, Fontbonne University, the Delmar Loop, Parkview, Washington University, Forest Park, the BJC medical complex, Cortex, the Central West End, St. Louis University, Grand Center, Midtown Alley and downtown St. Louis, part of which had a triple-digit growth rate from 2000 to 2010.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... 5c47a.html
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by STLguy1 »

This tower called The Crossing will begin construction in December in Clayton - St. Louis' "uptown" (2nd Downtown) along the Central Cooridor.
kman
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kman »

rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I love the proposed CWE tower! Would have been nice of the San Luis had been saved/rehabbed across the street, rather than the freshly paved Cathedral parking lot. Nonetheless, such a wonderful boom going on in the hood. Really want to see more high-rise residential along Kingshighway facing the park, specifically a CWE "new tallest" on one of those prominent surface parking lots at Lindell/West Pine and Kingshighway.

RE: Clayton, I have really mixed feelings about the building boom occurring there. It is very clearly affecting development patterns in urban StL (city), as it has become the fashionable hub for business and high-end urban residential in the region. Further, it is just disconnected and auto-centric enough as to be aesthetically fairly unappealing despite the increased development. This could certainly change over time, but as it stands, "downtown" Clayton is just not my cup of tea despite the amazing neighborhoods surrounding it. Would much rather see these kinds of developments in downtown/CWE.

Seeing Centene and Niche/Pastaria go Clayton was a bummer...
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

rxlexi wrote:
RE: Clayton, I have really mixed feelings about the building boom occurring there. It is very clearly affecting development patterns in urban StL (city), as it has become the fashionable hub for business and high-end urban residential in the region. Further, it is just disconnected and auto-centric enough as to be aesthetically fairly unappealing despite the increased development. This could certainly change over time, but as it stands, "downtown" Clayton is just not my cup of tea despite the amazing neighborhoods surrounding it. Would much rather see these kinds of developments in downtown/CWE.

Seeing Centene and Niche/Pastaria go Clayton was a bummer...
I've had extensive thoughts re: downtown Clayton (and all of Clayton) and have developed a far better opinion of it than I have had in the past. It probably helps that my girlfriend lives in Clayton and I spend a lot of time there, althought she lives in the much more grounded end that looks towards St. Louis City (DeMun, etc, not downtown Clayton much).

It definitely appears that downtown Clayton has leeched a lot of development from downtown St. Louis, and the CWE, too. However, increasingly it appears to function (residentially at least) as a more urban alternative to West County instead of an alternative to the city. In other words, a lot of the stuff that is in Clayton realistically probably would be out west, instead of in the city. It's transitioned from pulling from the east to being a stop-gap/bookend, to even pulling from the west.

Residentially, it's an option that otherwise wouldn't exist for upper middle, and wealthy suburbanites looking to downsize and live in a semi-walkable environment who aren't entirely comfortable with the Central West End, although the Central West End appears to be entering the next level of urban development. However, I doubt a lot of those folks (and I'm talking about empty nesters and older divorcees, etc) would be living in an "urban" environment, otherwise. It functions more like a scrunched together Overland Park with a dash of the Plaza, rather than a more autocentric Central West End. It lacks the urban spark that the Central West End is developing, instead combining some urban amenities with West County/JoCo type appeal (or whatever). The entire urban corridor along I-64 is evolving into a landscape that has areas that appeal to a slightly different demographic, downtown Clayton isn't as much of a "leech," at least residentially, as it has been in the past. I'm somewhat comfortable that this "urban west county" option exists, I think it sort of economically bolsters the entire central corridor within the innerbelt, and certainly people from Clayton support City amenities and businesses.

And yeah, the Centene deal was a fuck-up.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

rxlexi wrote:I love the proposed CWE tower! Would have been nice of the San Luis had been saved/rehabbed across the street, rather than the freshly paved Cathedral parking lot.
Speaking of the San Luis, alternatively, here's a nice mid-century rehab project...

Lawrence Group plan for CWE project proceeds

The plan to restore the exterior of a midcentury modern office building and renovate the interior as a bank and apartments took a step forward today.

Members of the Central West End Development Committee voted in favor of tax abatement for the project at 4100 Lindell Boulevard.

Lawrence Group wants to redo the empty, three-story building as an Eagle Bank branch on the first floor and apartments on the two upper floors. St. Louis architect Gyo Obata designed the building in 1956 for Remington Rand, a maker of business machines, including typewriters. The most recent occupant was the St. Louis Housing Authority, which moved in 2009 to a building near Grand Center.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/column ... 031a9.html

http://f.tlcollect.com
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Speaking of the San Luis, alternatively, here's a nice mid-century rehab project...
Nice! Thanks for the update.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Another Clayton CBD proposal...

Montgomery proposes 33-story Clayton apartment building
Tim Bryant St. Louis Post -Dispatch

Montgomery Development is proposing a 33-story apartment building at Forsyth and Central avenues in downtown Clayton.

The project, at 2 South Central, includes plans for 345 apartments, ground-floor stores and a parking garage for 478 vehicles. Also included is a rooftop pool.

The 33-story tower is the second major apartment project in downtown Clayton to come to light since early April.

Planned for a site at Bonhomme and Meramec avenues is the Crossing, a 26-story building of 250 luxury apartments. Jerry Crylen — a developer behind the $75 million project — said last month that construction should begin this fall with the hope of occupying the building in 2016.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... fa1a8.html
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

harbinger911 wrote:man, STL city boosters must be pissed that Clayton is getting a high-rise res tower like that!
I wish KC developers had the balls to do that. Nope.
How can Clayton have more going on than both downtown KC and downtown STL to land a tower like that?

One Light is a POS compared to that tall gem... wtf?
probably some people in the city are irritated, but theres a lot of people like me who realize that the central corridor with both st louis city AND county is where the future of our region is. i say build out downtown clayton, tall and expensive!