Ballpark Village v4.7 (st. louis)

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Ballpark Village v4.7 (st. louis)

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Vacant Space wouldn't exist or be greatly reduced with a Land Value Tax. Lets say we charge a tax that is 10 times higher on an empty lot/vacant/unproductive building vs if the lot had a productive building on it, i guarantee you whoever owns that land is going to try to do something with this empty land instead of sit on it for 5-10 years and wait for a development to happen, it would reduce speculation. Harrisburg PA did a land value tax in its downtown area and greatly reduced the amount of vacant lands in a short period.

http://www.earthrights.net/docs/success.html
http://commongroundorwa.org/index.php/c ... experience

Land Value tax would also reduce urban sprawl and make cities a lot more vibrant
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

i guarantee you whoever owns that land is going to try to do something with this empty land instead of sit on it for 5-10 years and wait for a development to happen, it would reduce speculation. Harrisburg PA did a land value tax in its downtown area and greatly reduced the amount of vacant lands in a short period.
There are many reasons why property is developed and I would imagine taxes play a part but I would also imagine a small part. Take you Harrisburg PA as an example.

1. It is the state capital of Pennsylvania.
2. It is the county seat of the county it which it is located.
We all know the growth of government since the 80's so I am sure that has something to do with it.

3. Since the 80's $3B in investment has occurred.
Now remember Harrisburg has a population of around 50,000 out of a metro population of over 650,000. Imagine what $3B would do to Shawnee Kansas. Harrisburg's population has also decreased during the time of that investment. And I would guess much of that investment was by the county and state. Plus there is a large pocket of federal employment. In fact its two largest employers are the state and federal governments. Their number is almost 40,000 which the total of the next 6 largest employers.

In looking at a satellite view of Harrisburg there appears to be quite a bit of surface parking, and green space, so I wouldn't say the land value tax is the success it is made out to be.

Oh, BTW, the city's finances are in such great shape that it is in receivership.
Louman
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Louman »

Aug 27, 2013, 12:50pm CDT
Final beam tops Phase One of Ballpark Village (Video)
Matthew Hibbard
Social Engagement Manager
St. Louis Business Journal

A 100-foot A-frame roof truss was lowered into place Tuesday, capping off an important part of the first phase of construction at Ballpark Village.

The $100 million first phase is part of the $650 million Ballpark Village project. The tenants confirmed so far include: an Anheuser-Busch Brewhouse, a 20,000-square-foot space for a restaurant and beer garden; Cardinals Nation, a 30,000-square-foot space for a hall of fame museum, bar and restaurant; and an 8,000-square-foot cowboy bar, PBR St. Louis.

About 15,000 square feet of space is still available.

“We’ve had a lot of people on the national scale interested in this project and interested in St. Louis,” said Chase Martin, development director of Ballpark Village for developer Cordish Cos. Martin wouldn’t disclose the names of those potential tenants, or the type of tenants interested.

Martin is working with various location organizations to woo tenants for future phases of the project. They include the Partnership For Downtown St. Louis, St. Louis Regional Chamber and local real estate agents.

Martin said the 620 parking spaces now blanketing a good portion of the site are temporary. He said infrastructure underneath the parking lot, including plumbing, is ready for new buildings.

The first phase of Ballpark Village is expected to be completed by Opening Day 2014.

Read More

Below, plumbing pipes for future phases now buried beneath the temporary parking lot.

KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Lookin good! Soon it will be time to party Downtown ST. Louis.
Louman
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Louman »

kcjak wrote:
KCtoBrooklyn wrote:http://fox2now.com/2013/07/17/cardinals ... r-than-kc/

Oh no, Ballparking Village is going to put P&L to shame.
My favorite part of the article stating that BPV will be better than P&L (although this just references the KC Live section of P&L):

K.C.’s development has 16 restaurants, clubs and bars in the live district. Ballpark Village will have about half as many, but three of them are huge.
The article is very silly.

P&L and BPV will be different but still somewhat similar when BPV is complete. Such is the case in Philly where a phased "Live" project is also under construction on vast parking lots across from their ballparks. Most of these "Live" projects are similar.

I think the Cardinals have to say it will be "better" (than the closest "Live" example) to appease St. Louisans who are wary and weary about the pace of the phased build-out in St. Louis.

Phase I, Xfinity Live in Philly

Also, around the Busch Stadium area there is no shortage of bars and restaurants. People often talk about BPV, but nearby Cupples Station has bars and restaurants, a hotel, residential and offices a stone's throw from Busch Stadium. 360 is one of the most popular bars near the stadium - and was rated one of the world's best new rooftop bars. When Ballpark Village is finished, coupled with historic Cupples Station, and work going on just south of the stadium with new and expanded bars, the area surrounding Busch is going to be livelier - and not just on game day. 360 and other nearby bars and restaurants stay packed year round now.

View from 360 atop the Hilton @ The Ballpark.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

What a Wrigley Field ripoff! Why is STL so unoriginal?
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

beautyfromashes wrote:What a Wrigley Field ripoff! Why is STL so unoriginal?
let it be written, i love wrigley!
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

this is pretty awful, though.
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

It looks like it's going to be out on it's own island...like putting a Cordish village out by the TSC. A Cordish bar village would likely fail if it were out between Arrowhead and Kauffman. That part of downtown STL is a little isolated--like the area around their Union Station. Power and Light would have a tough time without the Sprint Center, theatres, restaurants and housing all around it. I wonder if the surface lots are going to make this primarily a pre or post Cardinals destination? How is this going to attract visitors from October to March?
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Downtowner wrote:It looks like it's going to be out on it's own island...like putting a Cordish village out by the TSC. A Cordish bar village would likely fail if it were out between Arrowhead and Kauffman. That part of downtown STL is a little isolated--like the area around their Union Station. Power and Light would have a tough time without the Sprint Center, theatres, restaurants and housing all around it. I wonder if the surface lots are going to make this primarily a pre or post Cardinals destination? How is this going to attract visitors from October to March?
Bit of an exaggeration to say that it's as isolated as TSC, but it is true that the urban renewal era scarred side of downtown STL is a little isolated compared to the CBD. However there is activity over there, including a Flying Saucer and some other restaurants, Scottrade, Peabody, a couple light rail stops. This small section of BPV will only add to the slow repair of this area.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

warwickland wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:What a Wrigley Field ripoff! Why is STL so unoriginal?
let it be written, i love wrigley!

Wrigley sucks. Put me on record. The only thing worse is Wrigleyville.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

why do you think wrigley sucks? granted ive never been in the bleachers, just up in the stands buffered by lots of cardinals fans with a wonderful panoramic view of the lake and northside highrises.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Source
Cardinals Press Release
3/6/2014 11:29 A.M. ET

Ballpark Village dedication & grand opening schedule announced

A variety of private and public events planned as part of the debut of the much anticipated development
Ballpark Village dedication & grand opening schedule announced A variety of private and public events planned as part of the debut of the much anticipated development

Ballpark Village Grand Opening Events Schedule

Thursday, March 27th
5 PM - Opening Ceremony
6 PM - Private VIP Party
9 PM - FREE Concert by National Recording Artist Third Eye Blind on the FOX Sports Midwest Live! Stage

Friday, March 28th
11 AM - Open for Lunch: Cardinals Nation, FOX Sports Midwest Live!, Budweiser Brew House & Drunken Fish
5-7 PM - Founders VIP Event honoring the Construction Workers

Saturday, March 29th
6-8:30 PM - Cardinals Nation Restaurant Grand Opening Ceremony & Private Party
7 PM - St. Louis Blues Hockey Watch Party in FOX Sports Midwest Live!
8:30 - 10 PM - Budweiser Brew House Grand Opening
8:30 PM - Fireworks Display over Busch Stadium

Sunday, March 30th
11 AM-5 PM - Ballpark Village Family Fun Event
9PM-1AM - Red Bull Hospitality Party

Monday, March 31st
11 AM - FOX Sports Midwest Live! Grand Opening
3:10 PM - Cardinals Season Opener Watch Party at FOX Sports Midwest Live!

Thursday, April 3rd
6 PM - Throwback Thursday Debut at FOX Sports Midwest Live!

Friday, April 4th
5-7 PM - Inaugural Fridays on Clark featuring Dr. Zhivegas
9 PM - PBR St. Louis - A Cowboy Bar Grand Opening Party
9 PM - The Barn at PBR St. Louis Grand Opening Party

Monday, April 7th - Opening Day in St. Louis
10 AM - Cardinals Nation Museum & Hall of Fame Grand Opening
Noon - Opening Day Rally on Busch II Infield & Ballpark Village Lot
Louman
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Louman »

Ballpark Village Phase I progress

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

the stands across the street are interesting. I don't see how they'd have a very good view but maybe the lines work well enough
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote:the stands across the street are interesting. I don't see how they'd have a very good view but maybe the lines work well enough
They look straight down the 3rd base line. Obviously they aren't very close to the action, but they should have a full view of the field. I figure they're really more for drinking/partying and watching the game than any sort of intense baseball watching.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Yep. These seats are definitely meant for the part crowd to take in some of the game from afar. It will be pretty sweet. It's not as far from the action as you may think.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

Agreed, it's only about 550' from home plate to these seats. There are points inside Kauffman Stadium that are 550' from home plate.
Louman
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Louman »

(All photos by chriss752)

With Phase I winding down just before the Home Opener at Busch Stadium on Monday, April 7, Cardinals Nation at Ballpark Village seats 330 and features an all-inclusive ticket that lets fans will enjoy a 3-hour buffet and full-service bar. Tickets go on sale Thursday morning at 10 a.m.

Up on the roof: Ballpark Village seats go on sale today

Louman
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Louman »

Snaps of Ballpark Village Phase I from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.