What to do in Tulsa

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

What to do in Tulsa

Post by ColumbusParkian »

So I'm heading to Tulsa today for a weekend trip (Warrior Dash!!!!), and I can't for the life of me figure out where's actually a fun place to go out. Their nightlife websites are woeful, and Yelp isn't particularly used in that market.

Does anybody here have any recs for fun places for a group to go and get drinks in downtown Tulsa?

gracias.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: What to do in Tulsa

Post by grovester »

I know there is a good Tulsa photo/trip thread in here somewhere, but my topic sorts make no sense.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

yeah i feel as if this new format makes navigating the site a bit of a nightmare :?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

If you like beer, then http://www.mcnellies.com/site/sections/1 is a fun option (really cool old pub). For sushi, http://www.yokozunatulsa.com/ was not really outstanding, but it was a fun almost Nara-like place. I haven't been to Tulsa for a few years, though, so I'm not totally down with the new hotness. @jvergara seems to always be in Tulsa, so it may be worth rolling through her tweets or actually tweeting your question to her.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Tulsa is a great little city - a tiny mini-KC complete with a linear urban grid, tons of art deco and very nice Loose Park-esque area surrounding Woodward Park.

RE: nightlife etc, check out the Brookside area (sort of like a mini-Xroads, if I recall correctly) and/or Cherry Street, which is their big "urban" nightlife area. The Philbrook Museum is an old oil money mansion converted into a very pretty art museum, worth a stop too.

Also, if you end up making it into the (dead) downtown area, it's full of some of the greatest art deco buildings in the country, namely the Boston Avenue Cathedral (name may be a little off). Cain's Ballroom is a famous and seemingly awesome live music venue just north of downtown. There's also a small but interesting area on the very near downtown with some bars and such (Blue Dome District) but I've not really checked it out much.

Have fun, it's a cool little place!
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I remember going 4 years ago and there was a knockoff Lamberts Cafe in Tulsa, they even threw the rolls and everything. It wasn't particularly great but kind of fun.

And
If you have time I would stop in Bartlestville Ok to see the Frank Lloyd Wright Skyscraper
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Go to www.currentland.com

This is a website for a monthly free paper giving entertainment and things to do for Tulsa and the surrounding area.

The OK Greenfest is downtown Tulsa is this weekend.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

best place for drinks: the roof of the mayo hotel. no website, just call the hotel and ask if it's open. rooftop deck with views of the entire city (and decent drinks, too).
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

Check these spots:

http://www.fasslerhall.com/ - German Beer Hall, great beer, in-house sausage, German import Pretzels
http://www.intherawsushi.com/ - Good sushi, better than anything in KC (IMO), Go to Brookside Location
http://www.themaxretropub.com/ - Retro-pub, really fun and unique
http://www.smoketulsa.com/ - Great steaks and chops - Located on Cherry St, several bars in the area

The three more urban and fun areas of Tulsa are Cherry Street, Brookside, and the Blue Dome District. All 3 can be visited in a night, as they are located not to far from one-another and you can hop taxis between the three. Cherry Street would be the highlight, with good bars and good restaurants. Blue Dome is a bit more fringe and has some interesting things to do. Brookside will be a mix of all of Tulsa, with downtowners, midtowners, and suburbanites.

Downtown Tulsa is significantly more active than it has been in years. It's not KC, but shouldn't be KC. It also has more locally owned type spots in their downtown than KC, which is good and bad at times.

Do not under any circumstances eat any BBQ in Tulsa. You will regret it.

(FYI, grew up in Tulsa, lived in DTKC for 5 years, now back in Tulsa)
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

There is also this decent Chili Dog Place downtown, I think it's called Coney Island
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

brewcrew1000 wrote:There is also this decent Chili Dog Place downtown, I think it's called Coney Island
Coney Islanders are all over Tulsa (as well as OKC). They are family owned hotdogs stands that typically have a very ethnic twist. The DT Tulsa location is owned by a Greek family and serves the usual hotdog fare plus Greek food. One near my highschool was owned by a Native American family and served great Native American Food. Most in town are owned by Middle Eastern families and Greek Families. They are all good, and all different. Like KC BBQ, everyone has their favorite, but they all seem to be pretty damn good (especially drunk).