quick weekend trips

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

quick weekend trips

Post by KCPowercat »

I've done all the typicals...st Louis, omaha, chicago.....where else?  Not looking for a small town charmy feel is the problem....our weekend getaways of actual cities is severely limited via car.

Any suggestions?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: quick weekend trips

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Oklahoma City - Nice Downtown Area, couple cool Neighborhoods

Tulsa - Only about 3 hours, cool neighborhoods like Brookside, you could also stop in Bartlesville and see the Price Tower which was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.

Eureka Springs/Fayeteville Arkansas - Beautiful Scenery, Nice College Town
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

a bit farther afield, but doable: memphis, nashville, minneapolis, austin, santa fe, indianapolis, denver...
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Des Moines isn't a bad town either.  It's cool to go there for the Iowa State Fair, that fair is massive, plus on the way back you can tour all the bridges of Madison County and see the John Wayne birthplace
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Did Memphis....didn't real see a need to return. Tulsa might be an option except family there would require more time be spent with them than having fun. Thanks for the suggestions chriz.

Bridges?  Not my bag but I worthwhile suggestion in des Moines.  Trying to stay on our lattitide or south :)

heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

We did a Fayetteville-Tulsa weekend a couple of springs ago.  Saw a some pretty kickass bands at a club in Fayetteville (George's Majestic Lounge) and at the mecca that is Cain's Ballroom.  Ate some good BBQ in Fayetteville and a good brunch in Tulsa.  We also went hiking at a state park.  Pretty good weekend all round.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Tulsa has this amazing Oktoberfest, its rated the top 5 in the US every year, it's huge and a great time.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Iowa is kinda fun during RAGBRAI, the big big ride across the state. Its pretty much a week-long drunken party.

And there's always Branson! In Soviet Russia, weekend trip takes YOU!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

New Orleans and Austin are very doable southern latitude, weekend trips. 

Chriz's suggestion of Sante Fe (via Albq) is great.  Just realize that it's a big small town (nite life limited), but you will feel like you've gone to another country.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I would second the recommendations of Tulsa and New Orleans (though much farther afield, still a doable long weekend trip). 

Tulsa especially is super close, and a pretty charming little city.  Just don't tell the family you're coming and enjoy Cherry St, Brookside, the Art Deco, brunch at Utica Square...

I would also say Dallas makes a great weekend trip via 1.5 hour SW Airlines flights into Love Field, or if you drive it's about 7-8hrs down I35 and you have the benefit, in this case, of your own car.  A ton to do - big time shopping, nightlife (check out Greenville and Knox-Henderson 'hoods) and arts related events (the new AT&T Arts District is world class impressive).  NBA and NHL in season downtown right now.  Enough options you can please everyone, not too far...
are we spinning free?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Des Moines isn't a bad town either.  It's cool to go there for the Iowa State Fair, that fair is massive, plus on the way back you can tour all the bridges of Madison County and see the John Wayne birthplace
also: http://515alive.eventbrite.com/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Little Rock?

Anything new in STL downtown or midtown areas if somebody hasn't been there for a couple years?
Last edited by KCPowercat on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kcmeesha
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by kcmeesha »

I know Chicago was mentioned, we just came back from our 3rd train trip there. Train ticket prices are reasonable, especially if purchased about a month ahead of time, no hassle with the luggage, no searches, comfortable ride, faster than driving. I buy hotels on priceline; this time we stayed at the W Lakeshore for $68/night, previously stayed at Hyatt and Palmer House Hilton for about the same price. Probably the most enjoyable and reasonable weekend trip. We go to St.Louis 2-3 times a year as well, but I wouldn't take a train there.
This is my old report
http://www.kcmeesha.com/2008/09/02/all-aboard/
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

If you were considering StL and haven't been for few years, that would be another trip well worth taking and very easy to do over the weekend.  In particular, if you can get out into some of the city neighborhoods a lot of progress has been made, even in the last few years - I'm thinking Morgan Ford, next to Tower Grove Park (Local Harvest and Tin Can), and Cherokee Street in South City.  If you do make it to Cherokee, stop by the StL StYLe store and say hello to JiveCity an StLgasm.  Get to Venice Cafe in Benton Park if you haven't been, maybe try Niche or Pi pizza. 

You could probably get a steal of deal at one of the big hotels downtown StL and check out CityGarden and Culinaria.  Deals on big DT convention hotels would likely apply to Dallas too...
are we spinning free?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

These are all great places to go, but in my experience it can be just as much fun to bump around small towns that are much closer. In June I spent a Saturday with friends running around Weston, Leavenworth, Atchison, and St. Joe. We had a ball.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

In Regards to St Louis, have you ever been to the City Museum, that place is freaking awesome, you must check it out sometime

They have this 3 story slide that is awesome

http://www.citymuseum.org/home.asp
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Wait for the thaw, and take a half day on Friday and go to Minneapolis.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

reading down this list you all have already covered most of my suggestions, but i'll throw my support behind them nonetheless.

Everybody needs to go to Eureka Springs at least once! This town is a complete trip! One third hippies, one third bikers, and one third homosexuals. It makes for a very interesting experience. Plus for sheer kitch value, right outside is a place called Dinosaur World, which seems to be one of those 1950s car culture tourist traps, where you can drive around and look at rebar and plaster recreations of a T-Rex AND Bigfoot!

In STL, City Museum has to be experienced to be believed. One of the most fun (and bruise inducing) things I have ever done in my life! I can't wait to go back...

Still though, if Chicago was out, I'd just fly to New Orleans. Tickets aren't much, and you don't want a car down there anyway. Drink on Frenchman, shop on Magazine, and if at all possible, make it to a bar called The Maple Leaf, it's my favorite bar in the world.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

ColumbusParkian wrote: One third hippies, one third bikers, and one third homosexuals.
And one third little old ladies
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Still though, if Chicago was out, I'd just fly to New Orleans. Tickets aren't much, and you don't want a car down there anyway. Drink on Frenchman, shop on Magazine, and if at all possible, make it to a bar called The Maple Leaf, it's my favorite bar in the world.
ah the Maple Leaf bar, in Carrolton around the riverbend right?  That is a great little strip/neighborhood.  The restaurant next door is pretty awesome as well, though the name escapes me at this time.

also, while I think the City Museum is totally awesome in theory, I also find it to be a little overrated.  I mean, the artistry and the salvaged pieces are incredibly impressive, and it is a phenomenal place to take kids...but as an actual destination for adults I find it to be just a little...underwhelming, at least after you've been 1 or 2x.  I should add that I agree, if you haven't been, it is certainly a MUST see...
are we spinning free?