Werner Park in Sarpy County

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
KCBoom
Strip mall
Strip mall

Werner Park in Sarpy County

Post by KCBoom »

Visited the Omaha Storm Chasers' new ballpark (Werner Park) today--they were having an open house.  Wow, not impressed.  Some forum members have criticized some Kansas City projects for using what appears to be corrugated metal panels, well, they did use them on this ballpark and used a lot of them.
http://www.wernerpark.com/

The entire complex is built with corrugated metal panels accented here and there by small sections of precast concrete panels.  Additionally, the park is litterally in the middle of a field with nothing anywhere nearby.  Is it possible that the goal is to make the AAA players feel like they are playing in a dump so that when they get to the Royals it feels like an upgrade?  The team's clubhouses are above ground beyond left field in a structure that looks like a metal Butler building.  Really not impressed by this complex at all.  It literally makes you feel like you are down on the farm.

The developer also has grand visions of future development called "Pennant Place" that others have great doubt that it will ever occur.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20110118/NEWS01/701189946
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Werner Park in Sarpy County

Post by DaveKCMO »

are those the little guys from the microsoft powerpoint graphics collection? ugh!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Wow, I had no idea the tea was moving.  This is so incredibly dumb considering all of the investments that Omaha has been making to development and redevelop Downtown and other urban areas.  Such a lost opportunity.  This would be like putting Kaufman Stadium in Greenwood.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

dangerboy wrote: Wow, I had no idea the tea was moving.  This is so incredibly dumb considering all of the investments that Omaha has been making to development and redevelop Downtown and other urban areas.  Such a lost opportunity.  This would be like putting Kaufman Stadium in Greenwood.
Or Independence.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

The alternative would have been no AAA baseball in the metro... period.

Unfortunately, the ORoyals ownership had no interest in playing second fiddle to the NCAA in the downtown ballpark... as important as a AAA franchise is to many cities, it pales in comparison to a 25 year contract with the NCAA for Omaha.

Meanwhile, the ORoyals went looking elsewhere... including outside the state.  We're actually ecstatic that Sarpy County stepped up... otherwise they likely wouldn't have remained in the metro.

Now as crappy as the new setting is, the 'Storm Chasers' will likely see a big gain in attendance... because they placed the new ballpark in the cross hairs of the fastest growing area of the metro... a hot bed of new families, little league teams, the area's most affluent, etc.  They've already doubled season ticket sales... and at their open house the other day they had a eye brow raising 5,000 people show up on a rather crappy day.
gsmith601
Pad site
Pad site

Post by gsmith601 »

There's going to be a ton of development near the ballpark soon.  Highway 370 where this is located is the hottest development area in the metro.  There are competing outlet mall/entertainment complexes proposed in the area (one is tied in with Cordish).  It's also close to I80 and much more convenient for fans from Lincoln.  After spending years in a ballpark that out grew minor league baseball and was continually updated with no thoughts to minor league baseball, I think the artists formerly known as the O Royals will do really, really well.  I went to the open house as well.  They sold a ton of season tickets that day, had 5k come out when it was snowing and cold to see a not finished stadium, and blew out a ton of their new Storm Chasers merchandise.

Eomaha was right, if this had not come together they would have moved, most likely to Sugarland Texas (a Houston suburb).

I would have loved to see them in DT Omaha but TD Ameritrade was not a good situation for them.  Way too big, no amenties for them, and they would again be out of town for most of June for the next 25 years.  Throw on top of that $8 parking that all goes to the stadium not them, and no cut of concessions.  The outfield at the new place definitely seems to be borrowing from the K.  They're putting in a bar, carousel, a version of the litte K, a basketball court and 6 bounce houses.  As the Dad of a 3 and 5 year old I can tell you they are going to love it.  My kids love coming to the K now, we get there a good hour or two before the games (I wear them out in the outfield) then we normally make the full 9 innings.  When I told them that the Chasers would have something similar they started asking when we can go to a game.

Greg