Tulsa

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Tulsa

Post by mgsports »

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Oklahoma ... 14686.aspx good to see expanding into another state.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Tulsa

Post by loftguy »

mgsports wrote: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Oklahoma ... 14686.aspx good to see expanding into another state.
good catch, mg!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Can I be the first to suggest that this dilutes their brand? At least from the perspective of it being a KC icon.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

smh wrote: Can I be the first to suggest that this dilutes their brand? At least from the perspective of it being a KC icon.
First thought that popped into my head.  It was bad enough having some of the best Q in town use the word Oklahoma in the title, now we have to stomach the joint getting even more confused as some sort of Sooner original?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

pretty weak that they would expand to OK before downtown KC!  i'd love to see a cool OK Joe's in the East Xroads or something - live music and stuff would be cool too.  very "austin."
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

I have been hearing this from my parents for months, and not believing them because they couldn't product a single piece of evidence.  Guess I will be eating a few of my words.  I am really happy for this because is obviously shows that the Oklahoma Joe's people are successful enough to begin expanding, and the BBQ in Tulsa simply sucks, and it has for a long time.  This is a great addition.

What I am most excited about is that this is not a franchised deal.  That just seems to never work well.  Hopefully they put it in midtown or Brookside area of town, but for some reason I feel like they will be in South Tulsa.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

smh wrote: Can I be the first to suggest that this dilutes their brand? At least from the perspective of it being a KC icon.
The Olathe branch already did that.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: First thought that popped into my head.  It was bad enough having some of the best Q in town use the word Oklahoma in the title, now we have to stomach the joint getting even more confused as some sort of Sooner original?
Yea, my thoughts too.  A KC original that will be henceforth attributed to and associated with Tulsa.  Perhaps they should call it Missouri or Kansas Joe's down there. 
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

My friends I stay with in the KC area live within a block of OKJoes. It's a tradition to go there and get takeout, and more or less flip off all the suckers in line. Sad to hear that they are growing like that out of town, I guess, but as long as the ribs still blow my mind...I'm in Maryville, MO right now and i'm stopping by towrrow for a rack...I'm not going to spread pine beetles or ash borers or anything if I take them back to St. Louis, am I?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Stopped in for take out last night. The dining room was packed and the line was to the door. It was only 6p on a Thursday. That place prints money - more power to them if they can pull it off somewhere else.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
Spartan65
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Spartan65 »

chrizow wrote: pretty weak that they would expand to OK before downtown KC!  i'd love to see a cool OK Joe's in the East Xroads or something - live music and stuff would be cool too.  very "austin."
Yeah sure, why not get some Texshas influence along with the Okie influence in KC? You know, for those that Oklahoma Joe's adding a Tulsa (a city in Oklahoma) restaurant doesn't make sense too. Actually if you want Austin, I don't think you can get anymore ATX than the rainbow bbq joint in the Xroads.

It will be hilarious to me when they put this restaurant on 71st right next to Famous Dave's and every other chain restaurant in the world.
I just love the smell of skyscrapers in the morning...
http://okmet.org / OkMet forums
Keep Tulsa Lame.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Everyone is aware that "Oklahoma Joe" is a reference to a type of BBQ smoker and has nothing to do with the state itself, right?
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

Rainbow BBQ joint in the Xroads? What am i missing?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

ColumbusParkian wrote: Rainbow BBQ joint in the Xroads? What am i missing?
a gay bar/BBQ could actually be a hit in KC. maybe on the BLVD or in the W. Bottoms with tons of kitsch.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

I'm wondering if he thinks Hamburger Mary's is BBQ...though that'd be odd, since the word "hamburger" is in the name. And I don't think Austin is particularly known for gay BBQ either. Heck when he said rainbow he might now have been even talking about the gays. Altogether a baffling comment.

Oh and TK, a gay bbq place would never survive. It's too messy of a food.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

trailerkid wrote:Everyone is aware that "Oklahoma Joe" is a reference to a type of BBQ smoker and has nothing to do with the state itself, right?
Correct, although the first restaurant was a partnership b/t the Slaughterhouse Five competition team and the Joe guy who owned Oklahoma Joe's Smoker Company. The first restaurant they opened was located in Stillwater, OK. It opened around 7 months before the KCK location, but closed less than two years later when Joe sold his smoker company and his interest in the restaurant operation, and moved to Texas.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Spartan65
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Spartan65 »

ColumbusParkian wrote: Rainbow BBQ joint in the Xroads? What am i missing?
There was a bbq joint I think around Main and 19th a few years ago I saw one time that was decked out with several rainbow flags. I guess it was in that area where the Blvd straightens out. I am surprised you guys don't know what I'm talking about, but I vividly remember seeing it because it was really interesting.

You see, back in OKC we were always much too backward for a gay bbq.
Keep Tulsa Lame.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Spartan65 wrote: There was a bbq joint I think around Main and 19th a few years ago I saw one time that was decked out with several rainbow flags. I guess it was in that area where the Blvd straightens out. I am surprised you guys don't know what I'm talking about, but I vividly remember seeing it because it was really interesting.

You see, back in OKC we were always much too backward for a gay bbq.
Ahh - you are thinking of the now defunct Smokin' Joes which has since been replaced by the gay-friendly hamburger chain Hamburger Mary's.  I don't recall either ever flying a pride flag though. 
Spartan65
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Spartan65 »

Ooooh, ok. They definitely still had Smokin Joe's stuff up at the same time as rainbow flags, I remember that. They might have been in the middle of changing signs out or something.

For lack of a gay bbq joint KC loses 5 hipster points, or whatever the appropriate tally would be.
Keep Tulsa Lame.