Minneapolis and Saint Paul

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Minneapolis and Saint Paul

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: One thing we could easily do is drop pedestrian level kiosoks throughout downtown that give a map of the area and key locations.  Could do 10 of these (10/Main, 12/Wyandotte, 13/Central, 13/Main, 14/Grand, 11/Oak, 5/Walnut, 20/Main, Union station, Crown Center) and dramatically help out tourists.  Maybe this is something the DCID could fund?
this exact item is in the works right now, part of remaking our entire downtown "wayfinding" system.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Where do I sign up to help?  It was done half assed the first time.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LyndeyT
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by LyndeyT »

One of my favorite restaurants in Minneapolis is Chino Latino. It's located just south of downtown on Hennepin Avenue. They serve everything along the equator from Asia to Central America to Africa. They even serve guinea pig if you are interested.
Lyndey - which of the moving companies did you use to move here?
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Downtown Minneapolis Macy's is closing in March.

Press Release:
Minneapolis Downtown, Minneapolis, MN (1,276,000 square feet; opened in 1902; 280 associates);

Minneapolis Star Tribune:
The company agreed to sell the property, which consists of three buildings with a total of nearly 1 million square feet along Nicollet Mall, for more than $40 million to 601W Cos., a New York investment firm.

Macy’s now fills only about half of the space. 601W plans to redevelop the buildings into a mix of office space, with large open floor plans, and lower-level retail space.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Thought this article from recent was interesting about downtown MPLS flaming out

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2022/01/ ... -pandemic/

From what I can tell, the Plaza, downtown & Crossroads has been back in full force and bustling for a while now.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Nearly all downtowns are still struggling from remote workers away. I'd be surprised if downtown KC's office return is much higher than average. Spring to early Summer will be a big test.

MSP area is showing some signs of weakening like slower job recovery, more population loss than expected for a traditionally strong Midwest metro yet still pretty decent construction activity, especially multifamily. They seem to have enough resilience to recover but will be one to watch. I was also surprised to see Denver county take a hit over the last year and Denver metro grew less than KC metro, I thought they'd draw more from pandemic related shift as well.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

earthling wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:21 pm Nearly all downtowns are still struggling from remote workers away. I'd be surprised if downtown KC's office return is much higher than average. Spring to early Summer will be a big test.

MSP area is showing some signs of weakening like slower job recovery, more population loss than expected for a traditionally strong Midwest metro yet still pretty decent construction activity, especially multifamily. They seem to have enough resilience to recover but will be one to watch. I was also surprised to see Denver county take a hit over the last year and Denver metro grew less than KC metro, I thought they'd draw more from pandemic related shift as well.
I was just in downtown Denver last month. Can confirm, it wasn't that bustling. Honestly not sure if it had more foot traffic than a weekend in downtown KC lol
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

https://twitter.com/augustap12/status/1 ... BK06AXzFVA

Minneapolis LRT Appreciation thread.

“with 75k daily riders in 2019 over 35 km, the lrt system in minneapolis/st paul has the 2nd highest ridership/km out of any new-build LRT system in the US - and it's directly a result of planning that prioritized building rapid transit where people actually use it”
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

According to the Cred-IQ, Kansas City, MO-KS MSA has a DQ/SS of $102.9 million and a DS/SS rate of 1.8%, which means that 1.8% of the commercial real estate loans in the Kansas City area are delinquent or in special servicing. While the industrial, multifamily, office, and self-storage sectors have a 0% distress rate, hotel has a 12.4% distress rate which is somewhat high. Overall, Kansas City is experiencing a slight increase in distress rates, but not as high as some other markets - such as MSP.

Notably, the IDS Center, a 57-story downtown office tower with a significant retail component, is in danger of defaulting on its mortgage ahead of its May 2023 maturity date.

https://cred-iq.com/blog/index.php/2023 ... march-2023