News from Omaha

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
UrbanNebraska
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: News from Omaha

Post by UrbanNebraska »

Also there are talks of a new low rise corporate HQ building downtown. Gavilon currently leases space on Conagra's campus, but is looking at building its own structure downtown with a large per floor sq footage in order to accommodate their trading floor operations.

The mayor publicly stated that the land they are looking at could be better utilized with more than ~4 floors. Might not change much though, if they don't want to get in a joint venture with a private developer nothing of substantial height will probably happen.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Rosenblatt Stadium being torn down

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot...
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

:(
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCKev wrote::(

I enjoyed the CWS at the Blatte, but in my opinion, the new stadium/location are awesome. Inside the stadium, it is very similar to the feeling of Rosenblatte (with modern concourses/amenities). And outside, you still have the "tent party" feel going - only bigger/better. I thought the general feel and friendliness associated with the CWS and Omaha carried over to downtown nearly seamlessly.

And the parking and access is much better.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

Speaking of the new ballpark... apparently the UFL and Nighthawks are returning this Fall... complete with a CBS Sports television deal in hand.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Just got back from another few days in Omaha. Downtown has come together very nicely with just a few gaps between Dodge and the new ballpark that need to be filled in. I don't care for the way that 480 cuts into downtown, actually makes me thankful that we have a trench instead of an elevated highway in our entertainment district in KC.

Would rather have neither, of course, but we are car drivers here on the prairie.

The Union Pacific building is freaking awesome. Nice on the outside but very cool on the inside. Businesses like large floor plates. When you take up the whole block, you have a very big floor plate.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

Of course, big gap to be filled with this...

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Very cool. What is it?
UrbanNebraska
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by UrbanNebraska »

It's the announced development for this parking lot across from the arena and next to the awful elevated 480. This lot if you recognize it.

350 hotel rooms, 280 apartment units, 61,000+ retail space $176 million. It has been announced for about 8 months now and I guess they are still working on some funding.

I hope it gets done, I still have a bit of a negative hangover from the Wallstreet Tower mess though. Would hate to see another high profile project fall through.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

A little history... a food plant and sporting goods store were demolished to create this 'temporary' surface lot (relatively recently), in order to make up for the loss of CenturyLink Center parking to the TD Ameritrade park. The new project includes a public parking garage as well.
Linkin5
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Linkin5 »

Lincoln Update:

Memorial Stadium Expansion (new seating will be ~92,000)

New Arena:

Video of new developments that are going to be around arena:

For those familiar with Lincoln the development will be directly west of the Haymarket in the area where the old Trainyard was located. The Amtrak station has already been moved about 100 yards west and is already open.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/video ... 9ce43.html

New Tower (Larsen Building):

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Drove by the new arena last week and the rake on the seating looks incredibly steep. Any renderings?
UrbanNebraska
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by UrbanNebraska »

UrbanNebraska
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by UrbanNebraska »

Another Omaha project as well. 110 unit office conversion.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

UrbanNebraska wrote: Image
Actual attendance shown. &
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

IS THIS A STADIUM BUILT FOR ANTS? YOU FOOL!
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

Actually, in spite of it's basketball program vacuum... NU has averaged over 10,000 a game (2011-12 season). That's higher than Okie State, Texas Tech, OU, Baylor, ... some other notables... Duke, Villanova, Pitt, Utah, ...

So you see... aside from the play itself... the basketball attendance situation in Lincoln isn't all that bad.

Now, of course, compared to Creighton... which, ahem... is -#6- (read that again, that's right) in the nation in attendance! NU attendance is hurting badly.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

My son and I went to the CWS this year....stayed in a hotel at Carter Lake a min or two from downtown. Loved my experience at the stadium...walked west through downtown to the Old Market area taking in the little pond park and view of the highrises. My whole perception (where have I seen that word (trailerkid) in this forum before?) of the city and region has been changed. I'm looking fwd to returning next year.
UrbanNebraska
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by UrbanNebraska »

StL_Dan wrote:My son and I went to the CWS this year....stayed in a hotel at Carter Lake a min or two from downtown. Loved my experience at the stadium...walked west through downtown to the Old Market area taking in the little pond park and view of the highrises. My whole perception (where have I seen that word (trailerkid) in this forum before?) of the city and region has been changed. I'm looking fwd to returning next year.
Great to hear! I think downtown is getting pretty good to hosting those big events. Spread out enough to not be crazy packed, but close enough to walk. Tons of hotel rooms now too. Omaha almost always has people leaving saying it was better than expected.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »