Storm damaged Qwest Center, Omaha

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Storm damaged Qwest Center, Omaha

Post by DTO »

We had a real quick, freak wind storm this afternoon. It only lasted maybe 30 minutes but it left the city without power, cell phones, and ruined the Downtown Arts Festival that started today. Many artist lots all of their work in the street tents when the storm hit.

I saw this from home and about crapped myself since I'm a over a mile away. It's the St Joseph's tower. An old folks high rise.

Train tracks in front of the Burlington station

The Qwest Center. My mom was in there next to where the roof ripped away. She argued with the Qwest staff that that wasn't a good spot to stand. Reluctantly they moved and right after that the roof was blown away.

schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Storm damaged Qwest Center, Omaha

Post by schugg »

how cheap was that built?!? :shock:
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Actualy that looks like shoddy workmanship like the first photo. It just goes to show how contractors are cutting corners to get the job done quicker. 
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

Fuck off. There were many buildings all over the city that had massive amounts of damage. It was a bad storm, killed 2 people, and left about half the city without power over night and into today.

Getting in digs and claiming shoddy workmanship is nonsense. This was a powerful storm that would have done the same amount of damage anywhere it would have hit.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

still looks shitty to me  :lol:
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

DTO wrote: Fuck off. There were many buildings all over the city that had massive amounts of damage. It was a bad storm, killed 2 people, and left about half the city without power over night and into today.

Getting in digs and claiming shoddy workmanship is nonsense. This was a powerful storm that would have done the same amount of damage anywhere it would have hit.
Never mind the numb-nuts on the board here....DTO, that storm sucks....Let's hope everything can get put back.  I guess your lucky that only 2 people unfortunately got killed, because once your dead, there ain't nothing you can do about it.  Good luck in the reconstruction.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

zonk wrote: Never mind the numb-nuts on the board here....DTO, that storm sucks....Let's hope everything can get put back.  I guess your lucky that only 2 people unfortunately got killed, because once your dead, there ain't nothing you can do about it.  Good luck in the reconstruction.
Oh yeah, let's be politically correct here! :lol:

It still looks like it was built shitty!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

What kind of wind speeds did you have? That looks terrible! I'm glad that (apparently) nobody was hurt.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

bahua wrote: What kind of wind speeds did you have? That looks terrible! I'm glad that (apparently) nobody was hurt.
Actually, two people were killed.

http://www.ketv.com/weather/16730922/detail.html
KC is the way to be!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

AllThingsKC wrote: Actually, two people were killed.

Those people must have been shoddily built.  :?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

mean wrote: Those people must have been shoddily built.  :?
no, just shoddily minded for allowing that to happen. :lol:
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

bahua wrote: What kind of wind speeds did you have? That looks terrible! I'm glad that (apparently) nobody was hurt.
80 mph.
vauxhall
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by vauxhall »

I wasn't aware that Omaha had an outdoors arts festival.  According to the website, it has been going on since the 1970's.  I know that Des Moines is hosting a similar outdoor festival this weekend as well.  Have they always competed against each other, or was it just coincidence that they ended up being on the same weekend this year?
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

anniewarbucks wrote: Actualy that looks like shoddy workmanship like the first photo. It just goes to show how contractors are cutting corners to get the job done quicker. 
Do you have any evidence to back up your outrageous accusations?
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

KCFutbol wrote: Do you have any evidence to back up your outrageous accusations?
I zoomed in the photos and looked at the construction and saw steal studs used to frame up the exterior of that shaft. The panels look like all they are is interior grade sheetrock instead of plywood or particle board. The panels also look like fake stucco instead of using precast concrete panels to face the exterior of the shaft. The photos of the Quest center is just the same cheep construction. With foam board under sheetrock and stucco. This construction is okay for for small buildings like McDonalds but for larger buildings with more surface area the exterior is just like a sail flexing in the wind. this action just weakens the construction over time and a high wind like the one that swept through Omaha has very little effort to pick up the broken pieces off of the building and takes other good pieces with it.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

First, that sucks.  Crazy to see that much damage caused by wind.

But, aren't buildings of this magnitude normally wind tested in the engineering phase?  Seems odd to me that no one anticipated that Omaha might have some high winds.  I don't know shit about construction though, so...
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

AllThingsKC wrote: Actually, two people were killed.

I'm just wondering what 4 inches per house means and how that's measured.  Must be a KCTV5 affiliate.

From the article:
Heavy rain fell at 4 inches per house
Hopefully they get you guys fixed up soon though.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

anniewarbucks wrote: Actualy that looks like shoddy workmanship like the first photo. It just goes to show how contractors are cutting corners to get the job done quicker. 
I have issues with gyp board exteriors along with faux stucco on insulation board as well, but it's not a workmanship issue, it was probably installed exactly as called for.  The issue is in the planning, what was called for in the plans?  Cutting corners has nothing to do with it.
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

WoodDraw wrote: First, that sucks.  Crazy to see that much damage caused by wind.

But, aren't buildings of this magnitude normally wind tested in the engineering phase?  Seems odd to me that no one anticipated that Omaha might have some high winds.  I don't know shit about construction though, so...
I would imagine it was tested for winds in the design phase but still the best laid plans can go to hell. It was a freak storm the destroyed or ruined many buildings around the city. I just got back to Omaha 2 days after the storm hit and many areas are still a mess. They are already working on repairing the Qwest Center.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Too bad the storm didn't hit that fugly skywalk.