What do you think of the Commercial Development at the Lake of the Ozarks?

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

What do you think of the Commercial Development at the Lake of the Ozarks?

Post by mgsports »

Good for the area.
Shops of Horeshoe Bend will be annoucing Teneats this Summer other then a Movie Theater that's also one going in Osage National Shopping Center.
Highway 54 and Business 54 Big Box Store like the Hyper Wal-mart they built in Washington,MO and the existing one becoming a Sam's Club,Hotel,Apartments,Outparcels and so on to.
Prewitt Point will have more annoucements to. June 08 Maid Right Sandwich Shop is opening in Prewitt Point.
Arbys opening next to Culvers June or May 08.
Palisades Commons Sonic,Ashley Furniture/Showroom,Rustic Manor Motel and 3 spaces in Premier Plaza opening soon. Slumberland Furniture has opened by KK and 54.
Oak Ridge Development by Sleep Inn and American Center where Hardees use to be so far National Sandwich Shop and also Phone Store.
McDonalds and Village by 5/41 and 5.
This just some of the happenings at the Lake because theirs also Osage Station,others on Horeshoe Bend Parkway,Business 54,54,5,bypass 5 and so on.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: What do you think of the Commercial Development at the Lake of the Ozarks?

Post by kcmetro »

It's good for tourism in Missouri. If I want a relaxed fishing/camping setting then Truman Lake is good for that. If I want a party/hot girls/drinking setting then it's off to the Lake of the Ozarks. I'll be making a couple trips down there this summer.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

unsustainable crap, since you asked.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

One of my favorite things about the Ozarks was everything left untouched. I don't want to drive over three hours to end up in an area that looks like JOCO. I want to see run down gas stations, small half stocked grocery stores, and lots of trees. I like the "fuck it" feeling when I forget something. As long as I have drinking water, meat, and beer everything is a-okay.

I want to feel like I am far away from the metropolis society...and I want my cell phone to be inoperable.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

LindseyLohan wrote: One of my favorite things about the Ozarks was everything left untouched. I don't want to drive over three hours to end up in an area that looks like JOCO. I want to see run down gas stations, small half stocked grocery stores, and lots of trees. I like the "fuck it" feeling when I forget something. As long as I have drinking water, meat, and beer everything is a-okay.

I want to feel like I am far away from the metropolis society...and I want my cell phone to be inoperable.

just stay on the KC side of the lake and you get that for the most part. 
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

54 and Business 54 project is DEAD.  did not get their right-of-way deal worked out with MODOT.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

How do you know it's Dead because we would heard that on KRSMRADIO,in the Lake Sun Leader and so on.
Lions Choice has a Franchise available in Osage Beach.
Theirs a lot rumored to be coming to Osage Beach and Lake Ozark.
http://www.lakesunleader.com/articles/2 ... ews/02.txt
Last edited by mgsports on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

LindseyLohan wrote: One of my favorite things about the Ozarks was everything left untouched. I don't want to drive over three hours to end up in an area that looks like JOCO. I want to see run down gas stations, small half stocked grocery stores, and lots of trees. I like the "fuck it" feeling when I forget something. As long as I have drinking water, meat, and beer everything is a-okay.

Let's see.  Lake of the Ozarks is what 2 hours away now.  Grand Lake in NE OK is about three hours away and many parts are still primative.  Rockaway Beach at Lake Tanneycomo is just over 3 hours away.  Table Rock Lake can also be very primative in places and is less than 3 1/2 hours away.  Bull Shoals and Beaver are less than 4 now (Beaver is in a dry county so you have to bring your own).
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

We owned a house at the Lake of the Ozarks up until a few years ago. We were at the 7 mile marker, "KC" side, outside of Laurie, MO and off of O road. I had better cel signal there than I did at my house in town.

If we ate out at the lake we liked to hit the places you could get to by boat, but mostly we at at the house. A good lumber yard / hardware store was a nice thing to have access to. The Laurie Market and Busters Bait Shop were standard stops.

The better question for this thread would be: What do you think of spending way over 4 dollars a gallon of gas for your cabin cruiser? Or your cigarette boat? I wonder if the high cost of fuel is slowing down the congestion at the Ozarks..

Ahhhh... the lake... I do miss it.
the only thing for sure is change.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

The boat traffic has definitely slowed down on holiday weekends, at least on the KC side of the lake. Nice and quiet, just how I like it.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I don't mind development of the towns in the lake area, but I'm really sad that it is 99% suburban-style development.  The miles and miles of go-karts and such are turning into miles and miles of strip malls.  With all of the money in that area, these towns could easily afford some higher quality had actually adds to the quality of life of the town - instead of sprawling all over the scenery.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

I moved to Missouri in the past year and had no experience with/concept of anything regarding Lake of the Ozarks, apart from just knowing the name and where it was located. I did make it there for the first time this past spring (work trip, not a vacation), and had anticipated more of what was described above, probably due to childhood lake experience being in places like the vicinity of Lake Superior in northern Wisconsin. What I found was more akin to, well, Wisconsin Dells. Which is neither here nor there, it just wasn't what I was expecting.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Despite that being a raw take on the subject, it's right on...I have to agree with that notion.

The Lake of the Ozarks area will hopefully remain as rustic as possible for future generations.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

There are plenty of lakes in MO if you don't want the commercialized development.  Just don't go to Osage Beach...

Cyclops is right though.  I know several people that have cut back on going to the lake because of the cost of gas.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

If they are looking to give their place to me, I'll bear the cost of extra gas.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

Jess wrote: I moved to Missouri in the past year and had no experience with/concept of anything regarding Lake of the Ozarks, apart from just knowing the name and where it was located. I did make it there for the first time this past spring (work trip, not a vacation), and had anticipated more of what was described above, probably due to childhood lake experience being in places like the vicinity of Lake Superior in northern Wisconsin. What I found was more akin to, well, Wisconsin Dells. Which is neither here nor there, it just wasn't what I was expecting.
Big Chief Go Kart World!!! I don't know how many times I've been banned from that place...