Random Pictures of Kansas City

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Random Pictures of Kansas City

Post by Joe Smith »

grovester wrote: I recognize that cloud, yesterday about 6:30? :P
Yep, that's the one.
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

Check this one out.

A 360 degree panorama of Grinders/Crossroads KC. It's located on 18th and Locust in the East Crossroads.

There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I love Grinder's/Grinder's West ! :D
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Some urban exploring in the West Bottoms

I wish West Terrace Park could some how be restored.  Move the highway off the bluff?  Maybe they could put a deck over the highway and connect the old stairs to that?

What's left is still interesting:

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/24/22 ... -from.html

Hopefully not any of the KCRag photogs I hope.  :shock:
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

Who carries 20k worth of camera gear in a backpack?

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Joe Smith wrote: Who carries 20k worth of camera gear in a backpack?
Uh countless pro and serious amateur photogs.  You do realize that there are single lenses that sell for over $20k? 
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Uh countless pro and serious amateur photogs.  You do realize that there are single lenses that sell for over $20k? 
Bullshit!

I have a fairly good understanding on how pricey camera gear can be and am quite familiar with how those things can add up. Even if you could pack 20k worth of gear in a backpack, why would you do it and then truck down to the West Bottoms and walk around in a fairly desolate place taking pics? What was he carrying, 10 top-of-the-line Canon's?

I seriously doubt that anyone with a 20k lens is gonna be walking around the Bottoms by himself.

It's just one of those stories that immediately suggests that either something is not right and there's a lot more to the story. 

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Joe Smith wrote: Bullshit!

I have a fairly good understanding on how pricey camera gear can be and am quite familiar with how those things can add up. Even if you could pack 20k worth of gear in a backpack, why would you do it and then truck down to the West Bottoms and walk around in a fairly desolate place taking pics? What was he carrying, 10 top-of-the-line Canon's?

I seriously doubt that anyone with a 20k lens is gonna be walking around the Bottoms by himself.

It's just one of those stories that immediately suggests that either something is not right and there's a lot more to the story. 
For all your "good understanding", you apparently must not pay much attention to the KC photography industry - the xroads and west bottoms have become the favorite locations for outdoor portrait photography in KC - Wedding announcements, senior portraits, fashion ads, you name it - Loose Park rose garden is passe; everyone wants a gritty brick wall or alley for those these days.  Literrally, barely a day goes by that you can't spot a pro shooting portraits in those locations. 

And if you think its hard to fill a camera pack with $20k, your crazy.  A single Nikon D3x goes for ~$7500 and a pro is going to carry a primary and a backup.  That's without a single piece of glass.  Your "10 top of the line Canons" would cost you $60k, without glass. 
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

All that you say is very true, but you left out one minor detail...

The guy said he was walking around by himself taking pics and he said he was carrying 20k worth of camera gear in a backpack.

Who in their right mind would walk around the West Bottoms by themselves carrying expensive gear like that?

KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

That sucks, what a crappy story.. Can you insure for this type of thing?  Serious question...
On to the Next One
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KC Kropf wrote: That sucks, what a crappy story.. Can you insure for this type of thing?  Serious question...
Yes you can, why do you think he made up this story?  At least he could have said it happened in OP so he can help drive up their crime stats rather than KCMO's.  This story is total BS, but as you can tell, very believable by most people.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

GRID wrote: This story is total BS, but as you can tell, very believable by most people.
What makes you think this is so improbable?
Joe Smith wrote: All that you say is very true, but you left out one minor detail...

The guy said he was walking around by himself taking pics and he said he was carrying 20k worth of camera gear in a backpack.

Who in their right mind would walk around the West Bottoms by themselves carrying expensive gear like that?
What you think the presence of some 17 year old high school kid getting their senior portait shot against the brick wall would have deterred an armed mugger?
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: What makes you think this is so improbable?

What you think the presence of some 17 year old high school kid getting their senior portait shot against the brick wall would have deterred an armed mugger?
Really, you're gonna stick to your argument based solely on the fact that you think the guy was a wedding photographer taking pics of a h.s. kid while carrying $20,000 worth of gear in a backpack?

Alrighty then...

Funny, I don't see either one of your strawmen.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/24/22 ... -from.html

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Joe Smith wrote: Really, you're gonna stick to your argument based solely on the fact that you think the guy was a wedding photographer taking pics of a h.s. kid while carrying $20,000 worth of gear in a backpack?
No - my point is why in the heck would him being alone vs. accompanied by a subject make him any more or less likely to be targeted?  The subject isn't likely to provide any sort of meaningful deterrent.  And if you still think it makes no sense for photogs to be in these areas, go visit some time during the twilight hours - they are out there constantly. 
woodrow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by woodrow »

Wow!! These last couple of posts are filled with really great photographs.  Neat.  Love the pictures. So glad I spent the time clicking on this link to see new pics.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

woodrow wrote: Wow!! These last couple of posts are filled with really great photographs.  Neat.  Love the pictures. So glad I spent the time clicking on this link to see new pics.
You must be new here.

Welcome.

Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: No - my point is why in the heck would him being alone vs. accompanied by a subject make him any more or less likely to be targeted?  The subject isn't likely to provide any sort of meaningful deterrent.  And if you still think it makes no sense for photogs to be in these areas, go visit some time during the twilight hours - they are out there constantly. 
Yada, yada, yada...Why didn't you say that crap in the first post you wrote?

No one said that folks don't walk around where they shouldn't walk around. Just calling him and you on the obvious.

I'm one of those guys/gals that are out there constantly and I know better than to walk around the West Bottoms carrying all that gear.

woodrow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by woodrow »

Joe Smith wrote: You must be new here.

Welcome.
Thanks. Ha no.  Been around a long time.  I am also on forums where the title of the thread is what the thread is about - so that Random Pictures of Kansas City is just that, and not Random Pictures of Kansas City and Back and Forth about Truthfulness of KCStar article and whether fellow Forum Member is Dumb. The latter topic is great, but not what I am looking for when I am looking for KC pics.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

woodrow wrote: Thanks. Ha no.  Been around a long time.  I am also on forums where the title of the thread is what the thread is about - so that Random Pictures of Kansas City is just that, and not Random Pictures of Kansas City and Back and Forth about Truthfulness of KCStar article and whether fellow Forum Member is Dumb. The latter topic is great, but not what I am looking for when I am looking for KC pics.
KC pics?

Go here. http://www.flickr.com/groups/kansascity/