KCMO or KCK?

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
Cyburbia
Pad site
Pad site

KCMO or KCK?

Post by Cyburbia »

Okay, gang ... time for the What Side of State Line Road is it On challenge! Get your buzzer hand ready ... let's start!

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

11)

12)

13)

14)

15)

16)

(Seriously ... it is kind of sad, isn't it?)
Cyburbia - The Urban Planning Portal
http://www.cyburbia.org
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

KCMO or KCK?

Post by dangerboy »

Seems kindof unfair. You could have just as easily posted similar shots of blighted areas from KCMO as you did from KCK. While KCK doesn't have as many positive scenes to photograph, there are still several to choose from - such as Rosedale, Hanover Heights, Piper, Wyco Lake, and that little thing called the Speedway...
Cyburbia
Pad site
Pad site

KCMO or KCK?

Post by Cyburbia »

Some nice KCK action ...

:)
Cyburbia - The Urban Planning Portal
http://www.cyburbia.org
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums
CGPinFL
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

KCMO or KCK?

Post by CGPinFL »

When I joined this board some months ago, I thought it was going to be an interesting exchange of ideas and thoughts on how to make Kansas City's urban core a better place to live. Why is so much time spent knocking other places, whether it's JOCO, St. Louis, Omaha, or OKC? Can't we learn from other cities failures and successes without trying to degrade them? As for the pictures above, I've seen areas of KCMO that are FAR WORSE than anything shown above in KCK. Not everyone can be upper middle class, live in a midrise tower and shop at Cole Haan.
As long as you want someone to take your order at McDonald's, want someone to check out your purchases at Wal-Mart and have someone to clean up after you when you stay in a hotel then you will just have to deal with it.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

KCMO or KCK?

Post by KCN »

CGPinFL wrote:When I joined this board some months ago, I thought it was going to be an interesting exchange of ideas and thoughts on how to make Kansas City's urban core a better place to live.
And it is!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

KCMO or KCK?

Post by KCPowercat »

FL....I don't see much bashing of other cities anywhere here.....where are you reading bashing on OKC, OMaha, or StL?

Now the KS/MO thing, you'll never be able to stop that....it's just something everybody loves doing, bashing the other state...it's a love/hate thing mostly.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

KCMO or KCK?

Post by dangerboy »

A lot of the MO-KAN stuff is usually good-natured. Often people will cite various negative or positive things as part of a discussion or to make a point or comparison, and it isn't necessarily judgemental. Talking about the negative aspects of a particular community is necessary if you want to make it a better place.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

KCMO or KCK?

Post by ignatius »

I love KCK!!
KCDevin

KCMO or KCK?

Post by KCDevin »

i love KCMO, i dont like KCK just cause of the crime and stuff, i don't bash it, the only city i bash is STL, but i wont get into that
mean
Administrator
Administrator

KCMO or KCK?

Post by mean »

KCK has some jammin' Mexican restaurants downtown.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

KCMO or KCK?

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I love Kansas & Missouri and hate the bashin' back & fourth! Can we all jus' get along and love our metro while jus' transforming metro attitudes instead of insulting them and pullin' the city further apart.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

KCMO or KCK?

Post by KCK »

Ok Cyburbia, where are your picture of Troost, or Prospect. Where are the miles of ghetto that make the KCK ghetto look like Overland Park. Ill get a camera soon and show you my KCK the way I know it.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

KCMO or KCK?

Post by Midtownkid »

you should have sown more than the Plaza...that's stupid and obviouse...BTW is anyone going to guess...or just bicker?
1 KS
2 KS?
3 MO
4 KS
5 MO
6 KS
7 MO
8 MO?
9 MO
10 KS
11 MO
12 KS
13 MO
14 MO
16 KS
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

KCMO or KCK?

Post by GRID »

Well it was pretty obvious, it's every other one starting with KCMO. He was kinda talking a little KCK smack. Of course you can find crap in KCMO, but you won't too many good urban shots in KCK that would compare to KCMO.

BTW, what happened to Cyburbia, I thought I saw over on his website that he in no longer in KC.

Cyburbia???
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

KCMO or KCK?

Post by KCK »

GRID wrote:Well it was pretty obvious, it's every other one starting with KCMO. He was kinda talking a little KCK smack. Of course you can find crap in KCMO, but you won't too many good urban shots in KCK that would compare to KCMO.

BTW, what happened to Cyburbia, I thought I saw over on his website that he in no longer in KC.

Cyburbia???
Well we are comparing a city that is 3X the size. Why not compare KCMO with Portland, Denver, Milwaukee, or a city closer to its size. We can compare KCK to a city it's size too. How about Overland Park or Topeka. The other problem is that the pictures were taken in one of the older sections of town. Most people who talk shit on KCK only show pics east of I635. Dont worry Ill set the record straight soon.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

KCMO or KCK?

Post by bahua »

East of I-635 is the only part of KCK that has any real promise, in my opinion.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

KCMO or KCK?

Post by KCK »

bahua wrote:East of I-635 is the only part of KCK that has any real promise, in my opinion.
You wouldn't say it had any promise if you saw what I saw. Imagine for a second the neighborhoods between I635 and 3rd street north of Parallel. I guarantee you that one out of three houses has boarded up windows, or is burned down, or has all the glass broken out. The houses are old and no one in the neighborhoods has the money to do even basic improvements, like trash pickup, painting, lawn care. There is about a two acre vacant lot from a couple of the few houses KCK government actually tore down, but now it has become the neighborhhod junkyard as 5 or 6 cars are abandoned there. The street itself is lined with more potholes and the curb appears to have eroded away. By the way if you don't believe me, I have pictures that will soon be developed and I will scan them for everyone to see. As if all this shit wasn't bad enough, the residents who do live in this shit hole don't give a damn about their neighborhood, and crime and drugs are rampant. Meanwhile Marinovich is so busy with village west that she cant spend a dime trying to clean this shit up.

I promised a long time ago that I would never give up on KCK. My father promised the same thing even before I was born. I remember when I first started attending West Middle School, I was robbed at gunpoint by a group of 13 year old thugs. I remember while living near quindaro park, our house constantly being broken into, and the theives stealing everything from christmas presents to the cast iron front screen door. I remember my first car being stolen out of my driveway. I remember someone trying to car jack me at a car wash on leavenworth road. All the bad things make me more convinced that we must improve. I'm not moving to JOCO, no matter what happens.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

KCMO or KCK?

Post by QueSi2Opie »

DeadManWalking wrote:I'm not moving to JOCO, no matter what happens.
Hence the name, DeadManWalking...

Anyhow, as soon as I start lookin' to buy a house in '04/'05 and we squirt out a brat of our own, I hope I can return back home to KCK. Probably somewhere in the Piper School District. Plus I'll need easy access to I-435 for our jobs.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

KCMO or KCK?

Post by mean »

You wouldn't say it had any promise if you saw what I saw.
Why not? Crime and poverty exists all over the world, and it sucks that nobody's really doing anything about it in KCK. But it's not hopeless.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

KCMO or KCK?

Post by bahua »

^

KCK, east of the highway, is about the only urban part. Poverty can be fixed. Sprawl is harder.