Monkey Mountain

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Monkey Mountain

Post by FangKC »

There is a Monkey Mountain Conservation Area in Holt County in NW Missouri on a State Highway T between Forbes, MO, and Amazonia, MO.

There is the same legend about the name as the Monkey Mountain area near Grain Valley--that monkeys escaped from a circus train passing through the area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Monkey+Mo ... O&t=h&z=14

As a sidenote, not far from there along I-29, there was a farm when I was growing up that you could see from the interstate that had a monkey that rode on the backs of hogs in the pens near the barn. We used to always look there to see if we could see the monkey riding the hogs, as every once in awhile you would see it.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Great park. We take the scouts out there once a year. Always a lot of fun for the boys to play on the bluffs.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

shinatoo wrote:Great park. We take the scouts out there once a year. Always a lot of fun for the boys to play on the bluffs.

Grain Valley, or Holt County?

My scout troop used to go to the one in GV when it was still a farm owned by the Batman family. We loved roaming the bluffs and also taking turns being rolled down the hills inside of a tractor tire.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Is it safe to assume there are neither monkeys nor mountains in this area?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I heard the Monkey Mountain name is racial, something having to do with dumping off slaves at this spot or something like that
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Holt County also had a family named Batman. :D

No, there is no scout camping at Monkey Mountain Conservation Area in Holt County.

There used to be some bizarre religious cult that gathered across the road from MMCA in Holt County though--Followers of Yahweh. They had all these bizarre signs posted on their land that had religious verses on them, and other crazy stuff.