Eyesores & Architectural Blunders (ongoing thread)

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Eyesores & Architectural Blunders (ongoing thread)

Post by Midtownkid »

I don't know how many architects you know, but your statements are quite blanketed.  'Most' architects do not design 'signature' buildings that stands like lone sculptures.  Also what makes you think most architects hate tress?  That's just a dumb statement.  (I love trees!)  Maybe some retail would have been nice around the SC, but it would surly be empty had space been built.  I like the SC!  That hall of fame is kind of ugly though
slimwhitman wrote: I totally agree that P&L seems to shun looking at the Sprint Center.  Walks are too narrow and the buildings do not address the street well.  Outdoor seating?  Woulda been nice.

As for a nice boulevard--something like 47th St on the Plaza--would have been nice also.  But that would mean trees would be planted.  Most architects I know hate trees.  How could you ever see their artpiece with trees in the way?(HA!)

I also hate all that wasted frontage on Grand & Truman around the Sprint Center.  Really?...What good is grass?  Load those areas up with retail and energize Grand a bit.  (Again, these would block the “pure beauty” that is the building, according to the architects).

Very few architects understand how to make a “place” full of vitality.  Most only know how to make an autonomous piece of sculpture (despite what they think).

slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

Midtownkid wrote: I don't know how many architects you know, but your statements are quite blanketed.  'Most' architects do not design 'signature' buildings that stands like lone sculptures.  Also what makes you think most architects hate tress?  That's just a dumb statement.  (I love trees!)
Maybe you’re in the 1%?  I know A LOT of architects and the first question I hear about tree placement relates to "preserving views to the building" not "let's place them in the best way to create the best possible street experience".  I have had this discussion dozens and dozens of times with architects.  The rare architect truly gets “placemaking”.  Don’t agree?...Look at the built environment around you.  Who has been designing our world as though they hate pedestrians?:  Architects.

Few architects would say they hate trees, they just make design decisions that prove otherwise.  
Last edited by slimwhitman on Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

It's actually landscape architects who work with the architects re plantings.  The budget is always skimpy (that's why you see those skinny trees) and since it's a line item, it's always subject to being reduced or cut.

You're right about not caring about the street view and pedestrians.  If you look at all the wonderful terra cotta decorations on old buildings, most of it is above eye level, often on the top.  But it all looks great in the drawings. 

I can never understand why planners/architects don't make the ground level more interesting - plantings, plazas, art, etc.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

coulda. woulda. shoulda. Sprint Center does what it needs to do.

we can still have more incredible contemporary architecture in KC. worry about the next great KC space instead of dwelling in a past decision that hasn't been negative whatsoever.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

I like how AEG did LA Live. You can sit atop one of the Staples Center's outdoor patios and see all of the video boards, and people on the large plaza. The architecture of LA Live compliments the Staples Center as well.

Right now AEG is working on trying to build a billion dollar retractable roof football stadium at the current site of the old part of the LA convention center that will connect with LA Live, the Staples Center, and the new Ritz Carlton Hotel.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

i will amend my comments. as a more involved arch statement...BOK Center > Sprint Center. however, i think Sprint Center works much better in an urban context than BOK Center.