Eyesores & Architectural Blunders (ongoing thread)

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Eyesores & Architectural Blunders (ongoing thread)

Post by GRID »

It was the store across the street from the Price Chopper that's on the south side of 95th now.  I think it was thriftway?  Shit, I can't remember.  I do remember those night shifts, that store may as well have been at 39th and Troost.

There was a grocery at 87th & Blue Ridge too.  Remember that one?, it was Milgram's back when Loma Vista was a very popular and busy place.  Robandee's grocery store was on one of the first episodes of COPS in KC ;).

I have always been sort of interested in this area as it was simply amazing watching an area boom as one of the country's hottest suburban markets and crash and become a ghetto all in a matter of 6-9 years.  It was just amazing.

Speaking of James A Reed and how the growth out in that area came to a grinding halt, they were about to break ground on the interchange for James A Reed and I-470 when they decided it wasn't going to be needed.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i grew up going to bannister mall and shopping at loma vista and Benjamin Plaza.  my family always ate at McCoy's and Dos Hombres there on blue ridge. 

i got my first skateboards and Doc Martens at Loma Vista Hardware (which of course re-located to westport rd, but is still called Loma Vista Hardware). 

even when that area started to get "bad" (a term i use loosely), i still loved it.  it was home.  it was my "default" shopping area.  i didn't even know i lived in an "undesirable" suburban area until i was about 16.  i just thought that's how everywhere was.  :lol:  my dad worked (and still does) in corporate woods, and growing up i'd go out to OP to do things (soccer, etc.) and i never knew that was a "nicer" area of town.  :)

being clueless is awesome.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chrizow wrote: i grew up going to bannister mall and shopping at loma vista and Benjamin Plaza.  my family always ate at McCoy's and Dos Hombres there on blue ridge. 

i got my first skateboards and Doc Martens at Loma Vista Hardware (which of course re-located to westport rd, but is still called Loma Vista Hardware). 

even when that area started to get "bad" (a term i use loosely), i still loved it.  it was home.  it was my "default" shopping area.  i didn't even know i lived in an "undesirable" suburban area until i was about 16.  i just thought that's how everywhere was.   :lol:  my dad worked (and still does) in corporate woods, and growing up i'd go out to OP to do things (soccer, etc.) and i never knew that was a "nicer" area of town.   :)

being clueless is awesome.
I bought my first board at Loma Vista hardware too  :D

Clueless, yep, you bet.  I think about that all the time when I drove $500 cars to misc jobs in JoCo while in high school and didnt' think anything of it.  I can only imagine what people out there thought ;)
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: The sidewalk that begins in the upper right corner does not in in the middle of one guy's yard.  You cross the street and the walk goes to the bottom right corner.  Much like what happens in many neighborhoods.

Of course, if you were in mine we do have one end at the edge of the property line.  The next lot is in another subdivision and the house on that lot was built before the city required sidewalks.  Go further east and a sidewalk appears and lasts for 3 to 4 houses then stops again.  Those houses were built when a sidewalk was required.
at the other end. 
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

this is in illinois.  but still.

from kunstler:
The Ionic columns are a nice touch. What I like best is that only two of them are required to hold up the massive roof of the structure. It's like a magic trick. Children love magic. . . and the American people are uniformly very childlike, so this is perfect for them. The mysterious green metallic object in the traffic circle is another nice touch, lending an appropriately ominous note to the scene.
http://www.streetsblog.org/2007/10/31/the-horror/
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Pretty handy design if you drive a dumptruck or school bus for a living and want to stop by the ATM.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

My big fat Greek ATM.  Something very disturbing about the unnatural balance of this.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

moderne wrote: My big fat Greek ATM.  Something very disturbing about the unnatural balance of this.
Yeah, it is.  Somehow makes me want to have a 4wd, a log chain and a case of pbr.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Huge overkill for a simple ATM. How stupid.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Ok, we must have all passed each other at all of these places.  I bought my first skate board at LV Hardware, loved Godfathers Pizza in LV.  It was a nice area for a long time.  Would love to see it make a resurgance. 
GRID wrote: I bought my first board at Loma Vista hardware too  :D

Clueless, yep, you bet.  I think about that all the time when I drove $500 cars to misc jobs in JoCo while in high school and didnt' think anything of it.  I can only imagine what people out there thought ;)
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This is a rendering for a house I found today when searching on Google.  It appears to be designed for the Seattle area.  It is among the ugliest houses I've seen in a long time.

There is no fifth destination.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

GRID wrote: Clueless, yep, you bet.  I think about that all the time when I drove $500 cars to misc jobs in JoCo while in high school and didnt' think anything of it.  I can only imagine what people out there thought ;)
I still drive a $500 car to misc job sites in JoCo - by choice!

:D
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

FangKC wrote: This is a rendering for a house I found today when searching on Google.  It appears to be designed for the Seattle area.  It is among the ugliest houses I've seen in a long time.

That is really bad but I have to wonder if the ugliness isn't enhanced by the piss-poor computer rendering.  The rendering makes it look like the entire exterior of the house is to be sprayed in some sort of popcorn ceiling type material - surely not.  :shock:
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It appears to be a stucco on wood.  I can't imagine a house being any uglier.  Of course, they could paint it purple and that would do it.   :P  The major problem is that there is just too much going on in the design.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

FangKC wrote: It appears to be a stucco on wood.
I was trying to decide whether I thought that was shingle or lath siding under the "coating".  :D
DeadendLafayette
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DeadendLafayette »

It's not a bad looking mausoleum.
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

FangKC wrote: Image
FangKC,
What is the website that this rendering originated from?
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I can't remember.  I think I found it using Google Image and typing in search terms "Townhouse" + "rendering".
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

Try "POS" + "house".
A fool and your money are soon united.
advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by advocrat »

FangKC wrote: I can't remember.   I think I found it using Google Image and typing in search terms "Townhouse" + "rendering".
Fang, you want to see some of the ugliest shit in the metro-drive down to Belton, a subdivision called Berkshire Estates.  They look like something Jethro came up with when he dreamed of being an architect.