What are these buildings?

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

And yes, I know one is obviously a church and so on ;), I mean what specifically are these buildings?

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Not sure, but what kind of zoom do you have?
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

The top one is Lincoln Prep, which I think is on Woodland Ave around 21st.

KCDowntown
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Second photo is the church at Independence Ave and Gladstone Blvd. Was R.A. Longs church and was most prestigious church in town a century ago, now down to about 40 members. Third is a catholic church on eastside, beautiful neo-gothic.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Did anybody notice Truman Sports Complex in the upper part of the top photo? With that Zoom, they look like they ARE practically Downtown!
Dr. Know
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Dr. Know »

What is the "Castle" in the foregorund of the top photo?

and

Directly to the right of the spire of the church in the bottom photo is an intriguing building. It looks like a mansion. Any idea what that is?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Dr. Know wrote:What is the "Castle" in the foregorund of the top photo?
I believe it's used by the Black Archives currently. Originally it was a prison, but I can't remember what era that was in.

Dr. Know wrote:Directly to the right of the spire of the church in the bottom photo is an intriguing building. It looks like a mansion. Any idea what that is?
Yeah, that looks like a cool building too, I didn't ask about it only because I was more interested in what that church was, I like the look of that church.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: What are these buildings?

Post by KCKev »

scooterj wrote: What are these buildings?

And yes, I know one is obviously a church and so on ;), I mean what specifically are these buildings?  

Came accross this picture while looking at some old photo treads. The large building in the top right corner caught my eye so I decided to try to find it in google maps and Identify it. Two days later I still could not find it. I was viewing if from Satalite, driving around in street view, really freaked me out I could not find such a large building.

The distance must be an illusion as it seemed to be just a few blocks from the Lincoln Prep.

Scooter, did you take this photo? I assumed so an figured you took it from the P&L building, so I used directions from P&L to TSC with the woodland location in the middle to try to triangulate the viewing path to find this stupid building.

While searching for this, First 48 came on and was about a serial killer in KC murdering prostitutes on paseo. This was so wierd since that was the area I had been street viewing all afternoon looking foe the thing.

Finial found it. Turns out the Bus runs right by it!

Have fun looking for this thing if you want!
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

After finding this building, it was time to id it. Nothing visible from street view as to it's name. Seemed to be a school that had been closed down.
after a search of the address, nothing came up at all but a day care center in the general area.

Funny how something can be so hard to find considering the power of the Internet  :shock:

So off to the  K.C. public Library special collection to hunt for it..

An hour later I find it! I think the old websight of the Library was much easier to find things! ( Back in 2001 when I first started searching for KC history research for the Century Box opening)

Anyone know the name of this building  :lol:
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCKev wrote:
Anyone know the name of this building  :lol:
KCKev, if you're looking for the name of the brick building in the upper right corner of the photo, that is the old Lincoln High School located at 19th and Tracy, built in 1905.  

modified:  Uhhh, guess I better turn around and look the other way!  Thanks Shinatoo?
Last edited by loftguy on Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Looks to be about 3 miles west southwest of TSC. I'm off to google earth.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

shinatoo wrote: Looks to be about 3 miles west southwest of TSC. I'm off to google earth.
Hint: It's on  E 27th st  :D
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

KCKev wrote: Hint: It's on  E 27th st  :D
If that's the building I'm thinking of, it has tunnels under the sidewalks so kids could have crossed UNDER the street.  Pretty awesome, but now it's all caged with barbed wire on the stairs leading down.  Seems like an awesome gang hideout to do some drug activities.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

shinatoo wrote: Looks to be about 3 miles west southwest of TSC. I'm off to google earth.
Don't know if google earth is the same data as google maps street view, but check out the fun at E 24th Terrace / Brooklyn Ave, Kansas City, MO,
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCKev wrote: Don't know if google earth is the same data as google maps street view, but check out the fun at E 24th Terrace / Brooklyn Ave, Kansas City, MO,
Interesting that the streetview car just plowed right through the scene. Also interesting that the crowd is there in one shot, then in the next pane the crowd grows and two cops are on the scene.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Ok this building is at 27th and Cleveland ave. Who knows the name of this building?
Dr. Know
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Dr. Know »

The building at 27th & Cleveland is the old Greenwood Elementary School.  It was for sale http://www.kcschoolsforsale.com/

The church used to be Holy Name Catholic Church.  It was here that the Kansas City riot began back in the 60's.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Dr. Know wrote: The building at 27th & Cleveland is the old Greenwood Elementary School.  It was for sale http://www.kcschoolsforsale.com/

The church used to be Holy Name Catholic Church.  It was here that the Kansas City riot began back in the 60's.
=D> You got it!
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Dr. Know wrote: It was here that the Kansas City riot began back in the 60's.
In response to the police actions outside City Hal on protesters? I assumed it started with that, but was it actually the word of that spreading?
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

staubio wrote: In response to the police actions outside City Hal on protesters? I assumed it started with that, but was it actually the word of that spreading?
In response to MLK being shot. I was in geometry class at the time. We were put in lockdown before such a term was even known.