Building identification

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
scooterj
Ambassador

Building identification

Post by scooterj »

What building is this? (Circled in yellow.)

Is it in use or is it vacant? It's a beauty.
KCDevin

Building identification

Post by KCDevin »

Isn't it the Grand Temple Building or something to that name? it's south of the Federal Courthouse (old) and on the old site of one of the churches.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Building identification

Post by KCDowntown »

I found this on the internet regarding this building and the Grand Avenue Temple, which is to the immediate left of the circled building.

In 1909, the rapidly-growing congregation of Grand Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church in downtown Kansas City, Missouri, elected to erect a new building to house not only the church facilities, but also an adjoining 12-story officer tower. Completed in 1912, the Greek revival design of the church later became known as the Grand Avenue Temple and its office tower as the Temple Building. The Temple's 1500-seat amphitheater style church-auditorium is almost square, with a 30' high flat, classically ornate grid-type ceiling. This auditorium and the Ernest M. Skinner pipe organ which resides in it have never been altered from their original designs. The church lost ownership of the office tower during the Great Depression. After a series of transactions, today it is the Federal Reserve Bank which owns every other parcel of land on the block except that place where the Grand Avenue Temple remains. Although the Federal Reserve Bank has offered to acquire the Grand Avenue Temple for additional parking space, to date no offer has been accepted, and the downtown church, one of only five churches in downtown Kansas City, lives on.
KCDowntown
KCDevin

Building identification

Post by KCDevin »

yup, I was sorta right, you guys know what I was meaning ;)
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Building identification

Post by missingkc »

Isn't the Grand Avenue Temple the small building just to the left of the outlined building? The classical style building with the big columns. Barely visible.
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Building identification

Post by Brooksider »

I went to church there sometimes when I lived downtown. It now just pretty much serves as a soup kitchen for the homeless.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Building identification

Post by KCKev »

Anyone know what building this is? Been searching for what it is forever. Picture is from 1906 and think it is Main street looking south west.

HELP!!! 8-[

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The domed building is the old federal courthouse at 9th and Grand. It was originally the main post office and customs house. They tore it down in 1938 to build the federal courthouse that's on that site now--called the Courthouse Lofts.

http://tinyurl.com/mwf8xno

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

scooterj wrote:What building is this? (Circled in yellow.)

Is it in use or is it vacant? It's a beauty.

I think the second floor might be in use, but the building is mostly empty.

Google Streetview:

http://tinyurl.com/lfouyan
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

So this must be the midland Hotel. The picture is looking north east not south west.

Palace Clothing Co.@ 909-919 Main. Founded at this location (Ridge Building) in 1887 by Auerbach & Guettel. Moved to NW corner of 12th & Grand after 1923. Boley Clothing (SE corner of 10th & Main in this picture moved to the SE corner of 12th & Walnut about 1909. The new Boley Building was built for Charles N. Boley.