My Kansas City Area Photos

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

My Kansas City Area Photos

Post by empires228 »

Older ugly section of Oak Park Mall (down by JCP where the ceilings tend to be water damamnged and such.)

Slightly more attractive section of Oak Park Mall that was redone for the Nordstrom addition (though why they didn't just redo the entire mall is beyond me...)

Metro North Center Court

Historic Building In Downtown Mirriam

Crayola Cafe (including ceiling tiles that would make Kmart proud...)

Vintage Taco Bell (75th in Shawnee)

Halls Plaza Last Days

More Halls

Crown Center Christmas Lights

Recently Closed A-Frame IHOP in Mirriam

Montgomery Ward In All Its Glory

The Metros "Nice" Kmart (if there really exists such a thing) near Zona Rosa

RIP Leavenworth Plaza Mall

Metro North Welcome Sign (have to document it before it's gone!)

The Metros "Nice" Sears (again, if there exists such a thing) at Metcalf South

Awating Demolition At Metcalf South

Neglected Landscaping

The Plaza From Parking

Taveta Golden Weaver At The KC Zoo

Retro Footlocker - Ward Parkway Center

The Retro CVS (Katz Drug) in Overland Park

Santa's On Break - Ward Parkway Center

The Last Days Of Indian Springs

The Empty Halls Of Halls Plaza

Fountain No More - Metcalf South

The Bannister Mall Dancing Sculpture

Dillard's At Zona Rosa
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: My Kansas City Area Photos

Post by NorthOak »

Those city shots of Crown Center and the Plaza are nice but what is with the boring suburban mall photos?
Last edited by NorthOak on Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

I appreciated all of the photos. Even the sad, suburban ones. They remind me of their better days.The shot of Metcalf South awaiting demolition evoked various emotions, including fear, sorrow, respect, and deep contemplation.I also like the variety. That alone sparked genuine interest. I regard good photography as an art. It captures the mind. Thank you for posting.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

Roanoker wrote:I appreciated all of the photos. Even the sad, suburban ones. They remind me of their better days.The shot of Metcalf South awaiting demolition evoked various emotions, including fear, sorrow, respect, and deep contemplation.I also like the variety. That alone sparked genuine interest. I regard good photography as an art. It captures the mind. Thank you for posting.
Thank you for your reply and kind words! I really hate seeing Metcalf South look like that too because a lot of my train toys I had as a child came from the hobby shop there and the mall Santa Who was there in the late 90s with one of the 3 mall Santas I had in Kansas City and we would shop at the Kmart across the street as well as my mom really liked Kmart back then. I think the worst part is seeing a come down was at the mall was very unique in its design and that more work went into maintaining it over the last 20 years then had ever went into leasing it. All it needed was a different tenant mix than what Oak Park was offering. The borders store that it been near the mall and vintage stock down the street both could've located there with ease.

I find suburbia to be interesting in its own right and I see it as a good thing to document things like the CVS store that won't be around forever and I can really see The two remaining legitimate malls succumbing to the same fate as their peers as development rapidly pushes the "new money" wealth south in Overland Park and north towards the airport
miz.jordan17
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by miz.jordan17 »

I added some more pictures, and I experimented with Prisma on a few. Hope you enjoy!

Here's the album: https://goo.gl/photos/u7YtEr2p4n36GtC37