BMA Building

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

BMA Building

Post by grovester »

Some pix from the tour a couple of weeks ago. Much like the mid-50's photo of downtown KC, I could have stood and looked out the windows for hours, spying different details. Not sure I could live there, a ghost building. I heard talk of a mixed use development on the site of the adjacent parking garage. It would help, but barely.

Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Re: BMA Building

Post by Roanoker »

Nice pics. My first husband used to work there when it housed the inner workings of Business Mens Assurance. Does that company still exist? If so, does "BMA" still stand for that name? Employees would open or close window coverings (drapes or blinds) to generate a symbol on the side of the building in honor of whatever was in people's minds at the time, such as a cross for Christmas.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

The tour guide mentioned that BMA no longer existed, it had been absorbed by a much larger firm.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

grovester wrote:Some pix from the tour a couple of weeks ago. Much like the mid-50's photo of downtown KC, I could have stood and looked out the windows for hours, spying different details. Not sure I could live there, a ghost building. I heard talk of a mixed use development on the site of the adjacent parking garage. It would help, but barely.

There's a good elevation view of the railroad junction that I-35 would have to clear in everyone's favorite relocation scenario. Not impossible, but a not insignificant hurdle.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

grovester wrote: I heard talk of a mixed use development on the site of the adjacent parking garage. It would help, but barely.
I get what you're saying. The building has phenomenal views, but it is in an isolated dead zone with no walkable amenities.

The garage to the east being marketed as a development site, but it is still up for sale. Here is the brochure: https://files.ctctcdn.com/281e6a77201/8 ... e5202a.pdf

Marketed as 125,000 sq ft retail/office OR 200+ apartments and main level retail.

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

That area will never completely take off until they put SW Trafficway on a road diet. That entire segment from the BMA building to Westport where you can't turn left are big problems for residents. Not to mention the cars zipping home to NE JOCO at 40 to 45 MPH in a 35. As a Westside resident, it is super convenient for me, but I could live with an added few minutes to my trips to the South.

I still think that traffic can be completely reconfigured along Brush Creek to make Main a more attractive commuting path and to eliminate the mess that is Cleaver II next to the tennis courts on the plaza. I'm not sure that SW Trafficway has to be the commuter path that it is, but the Northbound blastoff zone that is SW Trafficway at 31st street is definitely not helping the neighborhood.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It looks like the garage/development site was put up for auction in mid December with a starting bid of $750,000. I don't know if it sold:

http://images1.loopnet.com/d2/l8I8cMllQ ... cument.pdf
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I believe the current residents are bidding on it so there won’t be a development that blocks their views and they have more permanent parking.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

That is ridiculous. One Park Place has a permanent easement on parking in the garage. It would only affect the east units view of the east (which is not the great view). The conceptual renderings show a fairly low rise building that wouldn't impact many views.

Although, I'm not too surprised. I think the type of residents that building attracts are not the most urban minded.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

beautyfromashes wrote:I believe the current residents are bidding on it so there won’t be a development that blocks their views and they have more permanent parking.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The garage/site is back on the market, listed at $3.8M.

I wonder if it sold at the auction and whoever bought it is just flipping it.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3000-Pen ... /12219742/
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:02 am The garage/site is back on the market, listed at $3.8M.

I wonder if it sold at the auction and whoever bought it is just flipping it.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3000-Pen ... /12219742/
I think it didn’t meet the minimum price so now they are hoping a better market has increased the price.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

They should have built a second tower when the BMA was converted to apartments, and before the units were sold. There wouldn't be anyone trying to prevent a second tower from being built had that happened. The second tower would sits closer to the street and to the southeast. A second tower wouldn't block any great views anyway. The good views are to the north and south.

That parcel deserves a tall residential tower to take advantage of the views, and also add users for the park.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:38 am They should have built a second tower when the BMA was converted to apartments, and before the units were sold. There wouldn't be anyone trying to prevent a second tower from being built had that happened. The second tower would sits closer to the street and to the southeast. A second tower wouldn't block any great views anyway. The good views are to the north and south.

That parcel deserves a tall residential tower to take advantage of the views, and also add users for the park.
I’m out of the loop on this. Was a second tower originally planned or was considered later on or is this just a suggestion?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

No. The garage and a vacant parcel next door are for sale. It's being marketed as a development site.

Some of the Park Place residents don't appear to want anything built there that might block views.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3000-Pe ... /12219742/
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I believe the party that was looking at the property and wanted to develop it were looking at 3 story townhouse style buildings on top of the current garage. I don’t think that would really fit either next to a mid century modern tower. I believe the homes association has considered purchasing the garage as well. Honestly, I think it sits as is for the foreseeable future.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Someone who once worked here was claiming there was a planned twin tower to be built on the garage to the east. First I have ever heard this. Seems to me it would have been much too close to the existing building. Anyone know anything of this?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I've never heard about a twin tower.

However, there is enough room between them to have a second tower. There is a double-lane drive between the two structures.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0700164 ... !1e3?hl=en
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Last I heard someone was trying to build a vintage car museum on the garage site. Not sure if that is still happening
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

freedog wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:13 pm Last I heard someone was trying to build a vintage car museum on the garage site. Not sure if that is still happening
Yes, it's on the lower level of the garage. I believe they are looking to raise funds for more space and a building on top of the garage as a major entrance.