A Day in the City Market

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

A Day in the City Market

Post by Demosthenes »

Okay here's another set of photos I took over a year ago but never got around to posting. On a beautiful, sunny day last winter I went on a stroll through the City Market. There's just nothing quite like the market on a beautiful weekend day. Hope you enjoy!

Then I walked down to the river to get close to the birthplace of this city. (You may notice that a couple seasons passed on my way down from the market to the river :D )

Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Re: A Day in the City Market

Post by Roanoker »

Again, lovely, imaginative pictures. The stairway up to nothing gave me a chill. Literally. It is almost frightening. I like the way you focus on objects we would otherwise not notice. Thanks!
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Roanoker wrote:Again, lovely, imaginative pictures. The stairway up to nothing gave me a chill. Literally. It is almost frightening. I like the way you focus on objects we would otherwise not notice. Thanks!
Thank you so much for the compliments. You make me want to pick up my camera and hit the streets for some more pics :D.

Your reaction to the stairs absolutely thrills me! I like that shot too. It asks so many questions and answers none. It is also a view that few ever see. These things give it an element of mystery, intrigue, even fear. The spot where I took those photos is actually a really cool little spot right between the trail and the river. You can literally walk right up to the water, where that step says "end."

It is such a fantastic feeling being right on the Mighty MO!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Nice pictures.

The mighty Mo has a pretty mighty current.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Roanoker wrote:Again, lovely, imaginative pictures. The stairway up to nothing gave me a chill. Literally. It is almost frightening. I like the way you focus on objects we would otherwise not notice. Thanks!
Yes, the disrepair of the stairs and the inconsistent tread dimensions really makes you feel like you could be looking down a stairway that falls off into the sky at the end!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Can't remember the exact location but if the stairs are by Main St then those steps might have been part of the Main Street Wharf. The riverboat cruises use to launch from there.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I'm pretty sure this is where those steps are; they line up closely to where Walnut would be if it ran all the way to the river.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Eon Blue wrote:
Yes, the disrepair of the stairs and the inconsistent tread dimensions really makes you feel like you could be looking down a stairway that falls off into the sky at the end!

Kind of symbolic of KC's lack of ability to do anything at all constructive with the area along the Missouri River. What has been developed into a strength in so many US and world cities, remains just a neglected and forsaken industrial area in KC.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

swid wrote:I'm pretty sure this is where those steps are; they line up closely to where Walnut would be if it ran all the way to the river.

Yep, you got it.

Yea it's kind of weird how unimpressive our riverfront is. The fact that we have an element of ghost town going on down there is a bit sad. Not what you would expect out of a major metropolitan area.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Great pictures, but get that sensor dust off! lol. Nothing worse than shooting a day full of pictures only to realize that there was some dust on your sensor when you get home :(
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

im2kull wrote:Great pictures, but get that sensor dust off! lol. Nothing worse than shooting a day full of pictures only to realize that there was some dust on your sensor when you get home :(
Haha dammit! I was hoping no one would notice lol! Yea that shit is really annoying and I almost didn't post them because of it, but decided screw it. I wouldn't be able to put up any of the skyline shots otherwise :(. Luckily it only affected a few of them.