Help me figure out this old photo

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
scooterj
Ambassador

Help me figure out this old photo

Post by scooterj »

I came across some old newspapers and I found a photo of the KC skyline from 1976.  I'm having a little trouble getting my head around this one.

What I am having trouble with is identifying the major roadway in the center of the photo.  It seems to be aligned with Grand, or possibly Oak.    Is this Burlington, or some past roadway that no longer exists?  Burlington makes the most sense to me, but the development along it seems too dense.  (Though that could be a trick of the telephoto lens.)    And, in any case, what is the structure in the roadway near the center of the photo?
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Help me figure out this old photo

Post by bbqboy »

shouldn't that be the ASB bridge?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

that has to be burlington, given the date. it's clearly looking south from the north side of the river, with the bryant building seemingly aligned in the distance (which is on grand). as for the structure on the bridge (is that the upper deck of the ASB?), was it perhaps a toll booth, catenary poles, or the top of the ASB's structure? 1976 pre-dates the current HOA bridge, right?

consulting the books, too...
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

It looks like Burlington to me. Don't know what that structure is just before the bridge. Perhaps a road sign of some sort?

I assumed that the HOA had been there since at least 1976, but I have no idea.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

The ASB bridge makes sense... I had forgotten it once carried vehicular traffic.  The Heart of America opened in 1987.  I didn't realize it was so new.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Well, there you go. That is really cool.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Yup.  Not only was the upper road removed, that segment between the river and the embankment was also removed to make way for the HOA.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

Humor me, I thought that I knew KC pretty well, but some of these are stumping me...  I have no memory of this era as my parents were all of 16 years old in '76.., but I am curious now..

What do I have right, wrong?

On to the Next One
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

The "??? no clue" one would be City Center Square I believe. It was completed in 1978.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The building you have labeled AT&T Longlines is the old Federal Reserve Bank.  I think the other building you have labeled as "???" is the Hyatt at Crown Center. It's way in the distance, and distorted a bit because that happens when you use a zoom lens sometimes.  It could also be the Mainmark Building at 17th and Main, and the building in the distance behind it is the Hyatt.
There is no fifth destination.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

If this photo is from '76, it can't be the Hyatt as Hyatt didn't break ground until 1978.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

FangKC wrote: The building you have labeled AT&T Longlines is the old Federal Reserve Bank. 
It's definitely the Long Lines building.  You can see the square satellite dish protrusion on top.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Could "???" be the KC Club?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: It could also be the Mainmark Building at 17th and Main, and the building in the distance behind it is the Hyatt.
pretty sure it's not mainmark. it would probably obscured by 909 walnut anyway, given the viewpoint.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

dangerboy wrote: It's definitely the Long Lines building.  You can see the square satellite dish protrusion on top.
Perhaps more than one building sandwidched together by telephoto methinks?  Fed Reserve/Traders on Grand/ATT? 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

that photo is badass. 

is burlington still that dense (i really have no experience that i am aware of driving on burlington)?  or is that just a trick of the angle of the photo?
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

mean wrote: Could "???" be the KC Club?
I don't (think) so...  KC Club at 13th and Baltimore would be closer aligned with the Power and Light building, I would think... 

If that really is the AT&T Long Lines building.. it just seams SOOOO TALL from this view point..
On to the Next One
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Wouldn't ATT be further to the left behind Oak Tower/City Hall?  I think that is Fed Reserve and ToG and the Reserve just must have had some shit on the roof back then.