ELEPHANTS walking in the streets downtown! (by the Sprint Center)

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
ramseym_com
Pad site
Pad site

ELEPHANTS walking in the streets downtown! (by the Sprint Center)

Post by ramseym_com »

I was downtown this weekend and had to stop in the street to let ELEPHANTS cross the street. Awesome. The Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey were in town performing at the Sprint Center. Pretty cool huh!?!

--
http://www.ramseymohsen.com

Last edited by ramseym_com on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: ELEPHANTS walking in the streets downtown! (by the Sprint Center)

Post by kucer »

Great pics. Went this afternoon to the show and had lots of fun.  After the show, we got some shots of the elephants on the east side of the SC waiting to leave. 

One of those elephants took a monster dump during one of their appearances...it was fuggin' hilarious.  The crew is pretty efficient with the shovels and sawdust.
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

I saw this twice this weekend.

As a person not owning elephants nor being employed by a traveling circus, I am confused as to why they take the elephants outside.  Is it the same reason you take a dog outside?  Do they need some sun?  Fresh air?  All of the above?  Or, is is simply part of the show. 

It seems like a lot of work and potential liability to get these guys all outside, and was just a little curious.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kuslamb wrote: I saw this twice this weekend.

As a person not owning elephants nor being employed by a traveling circus, I am confused as to why they take the elephants outside.  Is it the same reason you take a dog outside?  Do they need some sun?  Fresh air?  All of the above?  Or, is is simply part of the show. 

It seems like a lot of work and potential liability to get these guys all outside, and was just a little curious.
I suspect its mostly so that the office workers seeing the elephents out and about might have the notion pop in their head "hey we don't have any plans, why don't I buy my kids some last minute circus tix?"  :D
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Great shots.  Yeah that is kind of a risky thing to do if one of them decide to rampage around downtown.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

I went to the show on Sunday afternoon and had an awesome time.

Rampaging elephants through downtown would make for some funny headlines (assuming no one is injured) and reminds me of Stampy from The Simpsons.  I think the PETA people would like to see the elephants out of cages/constraints a lot more.  A little walk and sunshine does everyone some good.  I think it is likely marketing though since Ringley has a pretty bad animal cruelty reputation. 
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The elephant walk always results in a nice photo in the local newspaper, and free publicity.
There is no fifth destination.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

FangKC wrote: The elephant walk always results in a nice photo in the local newspaper, and free publicity.
I was at Crown Center in 1975 and saw a similar sight:

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Ah yes - notice how even the two door cars back then are bigger than the elephants.  :lol:  That Family Truckster in the foreground looks like its the size of two elephants. 
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Great historic photo.  Even before City Center Square.  A document of the greatest crime ever committed to the KC skyline---the rape and stripping of the SW Bell Telephone Building(Oak Tower)--note the scaffolding around it.