Historic Office spaces

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Historic Office spaces

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

http://www.kansascity.com/934/gallery/1643071.html

The Star is running a great photo spread on historic KC office spaces.  Some really great pics and I know lots of folks on here will appreciate seeing some spaces that don't have public access. 
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Historic Office spaces

Post by moderne »

At one time businesses wanted a susbstantial public profile, a sense of gravitas.  Not anything like this in Corporate Woods.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Knock 'em down, we need parking.

- Love, Mr. Kemper.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

What Kemper you referring to?  The article showcases preservation by both Kemper banks.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Here is a photo with the individual buildings identified in the North Loop that have been demolished since 1940--mostly for surface parking.

Here is the same photo showing all the buildings in the North Loop that have been demolished since the 1940 photograph was taken.

There is no fifth destination.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

that makes me sick to my stomach.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

moderne wrote: At one time businesses wanted a susbstantial public profile, a sense of gravitas.  Not anything like this in Corporate Woods.
Or at Sprint. The executive boardrooms are nice but several notches below the old R.A. Long boardroom, and the Scarritt Arcade blows away the Wintergarden.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

thanks Fang...THAT IS SHOCKING!  I didn't realize all that former building stock was there.....It would be interesting how much the kemper family (either side) had in the continued degredation of downtown KC....they suck!
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

zonk wrote: thanks Fang...THAT IS SHOCKING!  I didn't realize all that former building stock was there.....It would be interesting how much the kemper family (either side) had in the continued degredation of downtown KC....they suck!
Same here, its nice to have a graphic to look at.  I always think of the crossroads and everything south of the modern freeway loop when picturing what we've lost..never even really thought much about the North Loop.  Crazy.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Question.  What does the current view look like?

Don't get me wrong.  It is a shame that many of the buildings were torn down but how would that area look now if those buildings were there and were sitting mostly empty?  We can't prove a "What if" so all we know is what it is now.

This is more for discussion than anything else.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Question.  What does the current view look like?

Don't get me wrong.  It is a shame that many of the buildings were torn down but how would that area look now if those buildings were there and were sitting mostly empty?  We can't prove a "What if" so all we know is what it is now.

This is more for discussion than anything else.

Why would they be empty?  Are you seriously trying to justify tearing down 75% of the building stock of the north side of downtown for surface parking lots, most of which are not even needed or used to capacity?

There is no reason why the north (or south or east) side of downtown couldn't look more like the west side of Downtown today...

KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

KC0KEK wrote: Or at Sprint. The executive boardrooms are nice but several notches below the old R.A. Long boardroom, and the Scarritt Arcade blows away the Wintergarden.
I'm guessing stockholders would scream bloddy murder if the kind of money required to replicate these structures was spent by today's CEO's.

As always, it's all about money.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

GRID wrote: Why would they be empty? 
How many empty buildings sat for years downtown?  How many buildings were almost empty for years downtown?  How many buildings are currently empty or almost empty now downtown?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The building labeled as the "Manufacturers Exchange #16" was originally the Board of Trade Building, arguabley the most signifigant architectural masterpiece ever erected in KC.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: How many empty buildings sat for years downtown?  How many buildings were almost empty for years downtown?  How many buildings are currently empty or almost empty now downtown?

As with all things, Occupancy rates are a very Fluid situation...to say the least.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCFutbol wrote: I'm guessing stockholders would scream bloddy murder if the kind of money required to replicate these structures was spent by today's CEO's.

As always, it's all about money.
Back when these structures were built the marketplace was local.  You would build an iconic building that would be seen by your customers and reflect on the product or service you were selling.  Today, the market is all over the country or all over the world even.  One building that is only seen by 5% of your market doesn't carry as much weight.